• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I can't use motion controls to save my life...

dylan_not_bob

Stardust Crusquider
Just going to put this out there, the right stick still controls left/right motion! So for most of your motion (which will be turning left and right) you can use the right thumbstick. If you are moving for everything it will be extremely uncomfortable. The only time you should move your controller left/right is for fine tuning your aim on an opponent (and rarely for swiveling quickly while also holding the thumbstick).

Primarily motion controls should be used for up/down movement or movement while jumping.

When you understand how to connect the thumbstick movement with the motion, that's when motion controls will really click.
^ Yeah, the best thing to do is find the balance that works for you. I primarily use stick more major camera movements and camera control during terrain traversal, but use motion for controlling he camera when I'm stationary or for fine aiming.

Fisherman

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Fisherman765
Switch Friend Code
SW-4453-3080-2542
Also I want to add, I make the default position of the camera a little but higher than usual to be looking a little bit down when I hold the gamepad in a comfortable position. Because I find it a bit hard to face down but have no problems facing up.

Ann

Inkling
I'm going to try to practice with motion controls in Splatoon 2. I mostly used stick controls in 1.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
I feel like the motion controls are a bit more responsive on the switch, but that is just me. But when doing a puzzle in Breath of the Wild, the motion seems to over skew itself that it somewhat throws off the gyro controls.

When I tried a bit of the Splatoon 2 demo, it felt a bit easier and didn't suffer from hand fatigue over time since I am a brush user, and that is important. Some people don't like the lighter weight, some do. Otherwise just get used to it like everyone says. It might be annoying at first, but you will coax into it evidently.

Also you might want to practice with lower sensitivity, then up it gradually till you feel you are ready to react faster. Your sitting position could be the convict too, as it does make it wonky.

I tend to lean forward, putting my weight into my cross sitting, and use my back and forearms to help put pressure onto the pad. I have it on the highest settings, too.

(Edit: I do simultaneously use the right stick to direct the camera while weaving my motions about. It is just a central habit I learn when I played from the xbox 360 since it relies on it.)

Maave

Inkling Commander
Learning the motion controls in single player felt really lame. I didn't feel comfortable with it until I jumped into Turf War. Focusing on the matches instead of the motion got me from "this sucks" to "this is fine" in like 3 matches.

With stick controls I capped out at high A+. I was going through A+/S rank hell - learning the motion controls helped push past that.

Butt and back positioning is a constant issue for me. I sit on a crappy couch now so I have to sit on the support between two of the cushions and plant my butt allll the way back in order to keep my lower back stable. Sometimes I'll be on a terrible aiming streak and then realize I was sitting wrong. Wish I had a nice chair instead.

Silentium

Senior Squid
You'll want to sit in a position where you can give your wrists ample space to allow for maximum range of motion, because you should really be aiming with your wrists and not your arms. At least that's what works for me. For me, this usually means sitting with my legs spread out, and placing my arms on my legs, where my wrists and hand occupy the "V" area.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You didn't really ask for advice, but you got an excellent quantity of it ;) I'm bookmarking this thread in the event someone else needs help with the motion controls.

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
You didn't really ask for advice, but you got an excellent quantity of it ;) I'm bookmarking this thread in the event someone else needs help with the motion controls.
I didn't ask because I am very much used to the OW community mentality of "git gud scrub" whenever someone says they are having trouble with something XD This community seems exponentially friendlier.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It's hard to get TOO grumpy when we're squid kids battling with ink the color of the rainbow :D Don't be afraid to ask questions! Around here, anyway. Other forums, like gamefaqs, are exactly what you're used to, haha.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Splatoon is a much newer fandom, and I hope it stays friendly since a lot usually falls into the 'salty' range after a few generations. Hopefully this new game keeps the surface clean, and more welcoming towards new members.

I mean, some fandoms will sometimes even fall into it despite being new, so really, it just some sort of odd how things tend to flex. Also, if you want to be a bit easy on replies, just hit the edit button to add more to your post then posting an entire new one.

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
Splatoon is a much newer fandom, and I hope it stays friendly since a lot usually falls into the 'salty' range after a few generations. Hopefully this new game keeps the surface clean, and more welcoming towards new members.

I mean, some fandoms will sometimes even fall into it despite being new, so really, it just some sort of odd how things tend to flex. Also, if you want to be a bit easy on replies, just hit the edit button to add more to your post then posting an entire new one.
As Dessgeega said, maybe the insanely cute and colorful nature of the game has to do with it. It is such an innocent atmosphere and it helps keep people at their best/nicest XD I hope it does stay that way.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I've said this elsewhere and it bears repeating - the Splatoon community on a whole is pretty decent after two years, but we may get toxic people arriving from the esports scene if this game really takes off. My hope is that the decent folks among our little community will be enough to shout down the nasties and keep them from getting too loud.

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
I've said this elsewhere and it bears repeating - the Splatoon community on a whole is pretty decent after two years, but we may get toxic people arriving from the esports scene if this game really takes off. My hope is that the decent folks among our little community will be enough to shout down the nasties and keep them from getting too loud.
Having only played through the first games campaign and nothing more, I consider myself a "new arrival" and will be happy to help keep that trend up......C'monnnnnnn SPLATFEST!!!

Ibusama

Inkster Jr.
So I am an aging gamer. Not as old as some, but I promise older than many. I grew up with 1/2 button controls and over time, I found adapting to many more buttons to be possible and I do just fine on any modern standard controller, but I SUCK at using the motion controls in this game. I mean, it is terrible. I perform far better when I go to standard stick aiming...

I am not asking for tips, as I do not think anything more than "keep practicing with it" can really be said...the point of this is to see from the community if others have my issue and perform just fine with stick aiming as well?
There are many pro players who use stick controls, so if you're good at them then you don't have to switch, but generally speaking gyro is better.

I think many people already said it but play the single player with motion controls. And don't forget that you can still use stick controls for the horizontal axis when using gyro. So focus on the getting used to vertical gyro first before moving to the horizontal.

I'm an older gamer too and it was jarring to use gyro at first but now I can't play other shooters cuz it's not gyro.

Good luck :)

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I find this thread rather fascinating. Simply fascinating.

My experience: in the entire year and a half of playing Splatoon 1 I don't think I've used stick controls for more than 2 hours combined. Good 90% of the game I've played on max sensitivity. Even with chargers, blasters, and nozzlenoses sometimes.

Anyway~, I don't have a pro controller so I'm using puppy face controls (i.e. joycons in the grip thingy) to poorly simulate yours and others' experience. You more than welcome to try what I've been doing now: treating the galleria as an obstacle course to acclimate myself to the controller and settings. Start at one end of the galleria and make your way to the other end. Along the way jump on, jump over, run around, and run circles around everyone and everything. And also randomly zoom-in then point your cursor at whatever. Repeat ad nauseum.

Eventually, attempt it without ever using the right stick or even resetting the camera. And for a really tough practice, do it while only pushing the left stick forward. It should accustom you to the motion controls, find a current setting, teach steadiness and accuracy, and help you not treat a controller like a stunt car driver at the wheel.

Also, maybe go into the Switch's system settings to recalibrate your controls every once in a while.

Fullmental

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pokeman92
I'm going to add one more thing here that hasn't yet been said: calibrate, calibrate, then calibrate again! Your motion control calibrations stack and average each other out, so preforming a calibration multiple times can help with your accuracy! You also need to recalibrate *every time you start your wii u*, as the setting doesn't save when you turn it off. I always warm up in the training room every time I start up, so I take the time in the to calibrate my controls. On average I find I need 3-4 calibrations before it feels comfortable to me but YMMV. When testing, I'll snap the controller back and forth several times and watch for any jitter or pushback,and check to make sure my targeting reticle stops where I expect it to. When that goes away and I get consistent performance over several snaps, I know it's calibrated good.

As a pc gamer with keyboard/mouse preference but very little experience using console controllers, I actually found sticks to be awful to me. I can't aim with them, they feel like they slow me down and are unnatural. As such, I can't really help with the transition there, but I will say I frequently use the sticks to make wide, sweeping movements, and do any aiming with motion. I'll also combine sticks and motion for 180s,that way i can keep my motion sensitivity 0.5-1 points lower on average without worrying about making it too hard to quickly turn around. Experiment and find what works best for you!

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
LOL what are sticks? Never heard of 'em in my life.
But seriously, I only use it to look left and right sometimes. I can't get off of motion to save my life.

Like I play other games that doesn't have motion controls like Overwatch and my god it's so weird not being able to move like I do in Splatoon. *sigh*
But honestly I'm sure there are some good stick players in Splatoon so you can stick to it. ;^) or perhaps try motion control on Splatoon2. Do whichever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom