• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

I read Splatoon 2’s Netcode and Matchmaking: An In-Depth Look from OatmealDome

Octo-crisp

Inkster Jr.
(I'm going to assume that the netcode and matchmaking are the same or similar for Splatoon 3, so I decided to mark this as a general discussion about Splatoon 3.)

The online multiplayer in Splatoon 2 is designed to provide a better experience for players with poor connections. However, this is achieved by slowing down the connection, regardless of the speed of the player's internet. Is this a bad thing? It depends. For players who live in areas with poor internet connectivity and for whom implementing a server could be expensive, this solution works well enough. But for players on the other end of the spectrum, the $20 price tag doesn't help. So what can we learn from this? If you want to avoid these problems, go to events and play in LAN mode. These issues will not arise in that scenario. The only solution for that problem is to try organize events and talk to people that can organize one, and the bitter truth is not the best solution, but can is that we can do.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OatmealDome talking about Splatoon 2’s Netcode and Matchmaking
An In-Depth Look at the Splatoon 2 Ranking System - oatmealdome.me

Cephalobro

From my experience, it can't even tolerate a slight change a network goes through before it starts having communication problems. That's a big problem for an online-focused game.

Octo-crisp

Inkster Jr.
From my experience, it can't even tolerate a slight change a network goes through before it starts having communication problems. That's a big problem for an online-focused game.
The issue may lie in the matchmaking system. If a player is disconnected once, there is a chance that they will be matched with someone else who has a poor connection, creating a snowball effect, even if the problem hasn't been on the player's end. This is just a guess based on what OatmealDome has talked about. The worst-case scenario is that both problems make communication bad. If something could restart the matchmaking regard to the connection, can be a temporary solution. What I usually do is, close and re-open the game after a communication error, if the next match ends in a communication error again I test the connection and restart de Nintendo Switch. That could be a placebo effect, maybe. I think it's worth testing.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OatmealDomesays makes a list of what matchmaking considers, and one of them is "The difference in the rate of disconnection between the owner and joining player"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom