• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I still don't understand the point distribution!

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Full Squid
NNID
PKGaming
I played 4 matches today, all Ranked, all B+ players. Whenever we'd win, I'd only gain 10 points. But whenever we'd lose, I'd lose 12 points! So despite winning and losing an equal amount of times, I went from 76 points to 72 when I was done. I DON'T GET IT!! What determines when I receive/lose more or less points? I thought it depended on rank, but we were all B+.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
The total amount of points that you have can affect the points you gain. If you're over 70 points, you will usually always lose 12 points regardless of the other ranks in the match.

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
I don't think the whole system's been figured out, but as far as I know (based on experience and what's been said):
  • You can get slightly less points if someone disconnects in a match, and since disconnecting after the game has been called does count as a disconnect, people might ragequit out of spite. (It'll only deduct 1 or 2 points, but I've had plenty of matches in S-lobbies where
  • You usually lose more points than you gain. (I think you can get +10, +12, -12, and -14 in a match with no disconnects, but I'm not sure) It's made to be hard to get up.
  • You'll win less points and lose more as you get closer to ranking up. Again, it's made to be hard to get up.

Reactions: Ulk

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Full Squid
NNID
PKGaming
  • You usually lose more points than you gain. (I think you can get +10, +12, -12, and -14 in a match with no disconnects, but I'm not sure) It's made to be hard to get up.
  • You'll win less points and lose more as you get closer to ranking up. Again, it's made to be hard to get up.
Ugh! I hate this. I don't wanna sound like a whiner, but this is why I stopped playing Splatoon for a while. There was a point in the past where I was winning a bunch of matches, but only being rewarded 8 points each. Then I lost a few, but lost 14 points each and there went all my hard work. I don't typically play online shooters, but are most this punishing!?

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Ugh! I hate this. I don't wanna sound like a whiner, but this is why I stopped playing Splatoon for a while. There was a point in the past where I was winning a bunch of matches, but only being rewarded 8 points each. Then I lost a few, but lost 14 points each and there went all my hard work. I don't typically play online shooters, but are most this punishing!?
You're only going to get frustrated and hate this game if you put such a big focus on points. It's actually a good thing for ranking up to be difficult since it keeps players from being easily outmatched.

Think of it this way, if you're barely winning in a certain rank then you'll probably be outmatched in the next rank and easily go on a losing streak. I'm sure it's more fun to win every other match than to lose every single match so don't sweat not ranking up. If you dedicate time and effort into improving then I'm sure you'll be able to rank up. Just try your best not to focus on the letter and number of your rank as it's easy to feel like it's not as high as you want it to be.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I believe if you have 70 points or more, you'll gain two points less per victory and lose two points extra per loss in any rank that isn't S so that's basically 8 per win and 12 per loss. The inverse might also be true but don't count me on it, been a while since i've seen A+.
Whenever you rank up you'll start off with 30 points in said rank, and even if you lose every single match you'll be there for 3-4 games(In S you practially get 6-7 games, part of a reason why S is such a huge mess). I think that the extra penalties are there to insure you're really ready for the next rank, but it can get cheesy sometimes.

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Full Squid
NNID
PKGaming
The thing is, Splatoon is a very team-based game. Losses aren't entirely on one person. Sometimes you could be doing everything right, but your team is just not doing well. So when I lose and lose more points than I gained, it doesn't feel like the game is punishing me for sucking and saying I'm not ready for the next rank, it just feels like I'm being dragged down by others. And I'm not saying I'm amazing or anything, there've been plenty of times in the past when we'd lose and I could see that I clearly was not a top player on the team. But when I do well and we lose because my teammates keep getting killed and I lose more points than I gained...it's just frustrating seeing your rank plummet faster than it grows.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
at times it seems unfair because say your at 94 points and you get a totally bad gun composition and never had a chance now you lose 12 points and gotta hope for a 3 game winning streak. I don't mind losing 12 points as long as it was a fair game but many times guns really matter on maps.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
at times it seems unfair because say your at 94 points and you get a totally bad gun composition and never had a chance now you lose 12 points and gotta hope for a 3 game winning streak. I don't mind losing 12 points as long as it was a fair game but many times guns really matter on maps.
When I was attempting to get to A-, I lost about 10 points for each loss every time I was at least 1 win away from ranking up, and then I usually lost again. I eventually got up there, though.

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
I had the same problem some time ago and was actually frustrated about the point distribution, but because of a lot of ranking up an down (until a few months ago, I bounced between A+ and B+ for at least half a year) eventually I figured it out. I don't like it and would prefer to have a fixed point system, but at least it's even/fair.

Usually, you get +10 or -10.
But, if your team was stronger (like 1-2 players having a slightly different subrank) on paper, you get +8/-12. If your team was weaker on paper, you get +12/-8.
If your team was significantly stronger (like 3 or all 4 players having a slightly different subrank), you only get +6/-14. But if your team was significantly weaker, you get +14/-6.
But this only applies if your current rank points are somewhere between (and including) 21-79.

If you reach >79 or <21 points, you will be punished/rewarded with more points (usually +/- 2). And the closer you get to 0/100, the more this rule applies. So when you reach 80, it's normal that you will lose -12 and only gain +8. If you're in the 90's, you'll probably even only get +6. I've sometimes even only got +4 (probably because my team was also stronger on paper).
Likewise, if you're at 20 points or less, you can assume to get +12 points even if your team was stronger on paper. And +14 points if you're under 10. I've even got +16 once because I was in the significantly weaker team and under 10 points.
Meanwhile, losing will likely only result in -8 or -6 points. I've also lost only -4 points a few times, once that meant I was at A- 0. ^^

(I'm not 100% sure but it seems to me like the point distribution gets stricter the higher your rank goes.)

The big rule behind this is: The game wants to keep you in your current rank. No matter if you're about to rank up or down. It's two sides of the same coin and, despite my earlier suspicions, seems to be have exactly the same in both scenarios. That means it eventually evens out.

• You can get slightly less points if someone disconnects in a match, and since disconnecting after the game has been called does count as a disconnect, people might ragequit out of spite. (It'll only deduct 1 or 2 points, but I've had plenty of matches in S-lobbies where
I got three remarks:
1. You will only lose -1 if one of your teammates disconnectes before or early in the game. If the dc doesn't happen early in the game (like mid-game), the rule doesn't apply and you will lose the normal amount of points.
2. That's not true, the amount of points gained/lost is usually the same. When it's not, it's probably because one of the rules mentioned above applies.
3. True and it's also made to be hard to rank down.

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
1. You will only lose -1 if one of your teammates disconnectes before or early in the game. If the dc doesn't happen early in the game (like mid-game), the rule doesn't apply and you will lose the normal amount of points.
2. That's not true, the amount of points gained/lost is usually the same. When it's not, it's probably because one of the rules mentioned above applies.
3. True and it's also made to be hard to rank down.
1. Yeah, I was mistaken because of my experiences in S while I didn't actually understand the points there as well as I thought I did.
With 2 and 3, that might be because I don't really remember ranking down outside of going to A+. I don't think a system working to keep you in the same rank really makes much sense, though-trying to keep players with what rank they got would mean people that got carried to a rank would be in a rank too high for them for a longer period of time, rather than getting brought down sooner to a rank they would fare better in.

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
I don't think a system working to keep you in the same rank really makes much sense, though-trying to keep players with what rank they got would mean people that got carried to a rank would be in a rank too high for them for a longer period of time, rather than getting brought down sooner to a rank they would fare better in.
Yeah I also think it doesn't make sense or at least I did at first. But I figured the intention could be this:
If the game tries to make it harder for you to rank up, that's actually a good thing because it means you really have to earn that rank up. That makes it also feel more valueable, more like an achievement, because you have to fight harder for the last points.
At the same time, to balance this, the game also makes it harder to rank down as a small bonus for reaching that rank in the first place. In most cases, the reduced amount of minus points gives you another chance to fight and keep your current rank.

I'd still prefer a fixed point system, but I think I get what the idea behind all this was.

As for people who got carried to a rank: If the rank is too high for them, they will certainly rank up sooner or later, especially if they take a longer break to keep their rank, for example. The reduced penalty points might not be earned in that case but I guess ultimately skill will determine the outcome.

Splatfan 222

Full Squid
NNID
chuck296
I don't think the whole system's been figured out, but as far as I know (based on experience and what's been said):
One point if they disconnect at beginning.8 points (or something) if they disconnect in middle. And at the End , and it does not affect it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom