I Suck At Splatoon

ThatOneDude

Inkling
NNID
ZAPPYTH3CAT
I don't know what it is, I use a buch of different weapons but none of them do the trick, and I just went on a lose streak of 35. This game is just way too hard, and the players I play against are just too good. Why is it that I have trouble understanding even the basics, but others understand the game in full details and know how to do everything? It's so disheartening when everytime I go to play this game I never win a single match. What can I do to get better?

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
too many people beat themselves up and end up in TILT mode. Don't get too pissed at the game and better analyze what you're good and at how you can improve what you're doing wrong

another common mistake you're making is that you're expecting to pick up a weapon and immediately know how to work it. That's not what you should do. Even custom variants require different playstyles to be carried out effectively. be patient.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
another common mistake you're making is that you're expecting to pick up a weapon and immediately know how to work it. That's not what you should do. Even custom variants require different playstyles to be carried out effectively. be patient.
Words of wisdom. I have about 300k turf inked with the Heavy Splatling and still cannot bring myself to use the Splash Wall decently :confused:

Anyways, you can always try to focus less on winning and more on playing the game and having fun. I, for one, just stick to Turf Wars to level up my gear and I usually have a good time, even if I don't make it past "Toasty" after 7 games (I've even found some interesting strategies that usually wouldn't work on Ranked). Now don't get me wrong, the game can and will frustrate you when it wants to, but the trick is to not letting it control you and trying to find out how to correct your mistakes. Besides, you can always take a break for a couple of days and come back later; maybe even try to come up with some tactics or watch high-level streamers to learn some new tricks to show off when you return ;)

Edit: Corrected the amount of turf inked with the Heavy Splatling after checking SplatNet. I'm not even sure how it got so high so fast o_O

Last edited:

Rex

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Xerhid
I don't know what it is, I use a buch of different weapons but none of them do the trick, and I just went on a lose streak of 35. This game is just way too hard, and the players I play against are just too good. Why is it that I have trouble understanding even the basics, but others understand the game in full details and know how to do everything? It's so disheartening when everytime I go to play this game I never win a single match. What can I do to get better?
Motion controls would be one suggestion, if you're not already using them. Gradually upping your sensitive once you aim gets solid.

If you're repeatedly losing TFW with a certain group, leave to go to another lobby. I often find myself losing consistently in one group of players, but rekking others.

If you're not great at up close skirmishes, I would highly recommend the Heavy Splatling. I finally found my niche with this weapon, as I can support my team, then be aggressive as appropriate. It's not great on maps in which I need to climb a lot, but I do pretty well with it.

Without seeing your gameplay, it's difficult to to pinpoint what you may be doing. Best advice is to learn from players who rek you. If you see some dude do something awesome, try to remember what he did and emulate it next time you're in that situation. Easier said than done, I know, but this is how I got better. It's almost like evolution in that every time you fail, you get stronger with the new knowledge and experience of what can go wrong.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
If it's turf war, i can understand. TW matchmaking leaves a lot to be desired, to say in the least. You can always try Ranked if you're at lvl 10, the matchmaking there is a lot more fair.
Rather than trying out a whole lot of different weapons, try out one single weapon for a while and you'll eventually get better with it. Whenever you want to learn to use something easy (Luna Blasters, Splattershots) or something with a steep learning curve (Inkbrushes, Splatterscope) is entirely up to you.

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
Keep playing the game. That's it. Also play some Turf War sometimes to blow off stream I guess. Being good doesn't mean that you'll rank up all the time though, as luck plays a huge role in Ranked as well, but you'll still be better off in terms of working your way through individual situations, at least.

Glass Eater

Pro Squid
Turn on motion controls, set the sensitivity high. Play Octo Valley, over and over. Get so used to the controls that Octo Valley is literally so easy you can do it your sleep. (Yes you can practice on turf, but it sounds like you are burnt out losing online).

You know you're ready when you can defeat the final boss without taking any damage, none. Practice makes perfect.

Play online using a splatter gun (anything that closely resembles the gun on Octo Valley, baby steps). Once you have the controls down and you are able to dodge and aim on muscle memory than you will do just fine online. Good luck.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
This is a hard game once you hit level 5. You do not suck, just keep at it and you'll find your place in the game. Try different weapons and just keep playing and you'll see yourself improve over time.

U N Nown

Inkster Jr.
Psychologically, don't be intimidated thinking others are all better. They are just playing too. One of their tactics is to rush in rapidly and attempt to push the opposition to the wall, BUT, realizing it is a mere game and nothing happens in real life, and you lose no money, and you win no roses, just charge in and rush them back, sneakily or otherwise. When one goes for it it seems to rally the rest of the team to jump in and take control. Such tactics have garnered wins by lower level makeup against teams made up of level 40-50s,. As the saying goes, brains over brawn.

And remember, only (.01) more than than the "bad" guys is necessary to take the win.

Learn sneak attacks. Nothing gives greater pleasure, outside trashing their attitude with a win, than squeaking up behind a snipe or a bucket blaster, and splatting their keester back to their base. If you practice, you can scoot around and get them several, or more, times in a match.

Other enjoyable tactics, if you are fed up with no wins, is to grab that E Liter, find a good vantage point, and keep shooting long distance ribbons out there. While your team may not win, it does ensure the opposition CANNOT get a perfect score. This especially deflates their miniscule egos since perfection is what is sought, and it keeps them from that goal. Besides that, a big ribbon, or dot, of a odd color in an otherwise full field wacks the sensibilities of the obsessive-compulsive groups.

In addition, getting good at sliding around and taking these characters out, will naturally create animosity. If you need proof, try targeting a particular character, one of the members that use buckets, for example, and slide around, spraying your own color just enough to get you to their location, then whack them. Move away from that area, watch for their movement to another location, or the same, and slide in again, wiping them off once more. Do this several times, then, when the match ends and you are asked if you want to continue, do so. In all likelihood, the angst you set up will be revisted upon you by your former victim, if they joined, because they must get back that confidence you so handily blasted out of them previously.

Therefore, if you are a benevolent individual, by all means, rematch with your mark so he or she can regain face, or try to, however, if you are one who enjoys shoving their wounded ego into the salt, as soon as the match ends, you know, the one where you dragged their butt all over the place, immediately decline the rematch and move on to new horizons. They are left only with the memory of the shame you heaped upon them, and the fear that it may occur again.

In closing, a final point to remember, get good with the tools that actually require skill in their use, i.e., the ones requiring aiming, and remember, it takes very little skill to splash paint around with a brush or a bucket.

Don't let them get you down, win or lose, you level up. And instead of lamenting a loss, HARASS THE HELL OUT OF THEM.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
If it's turf war, i can understand. TW matchmaking leaves a lot to be desired, to say in the least. You can always try Ranked if you're at lvl 10, the matchmaking there is a lot more fair.
Rather than trying out a whole lot of different weapons, try out one single weapon for a while and you'll eventually get better with it. Whenever you want to learn to use something easy (Luna Blasters, Splattershots) or something with a steep learning curve (Inkbrushes, Splatterscope) is entirely up to you.
What's easy and what's difficult will vary a lot depending on the player. Personally, I think all blasters, including the Luna Blaster, has a high learning curve because you have to learn how to aim at your opponents to make best use of them, whereas I picked up the Inkbrush more or less immediately because I'm used to fast-moving platformers and can navigate efficiently with it. (But there ARE some weapons more or less deemed beginner-friendly, like the Splattershot Jr.)

It really depends on your gaming background. I've never played a shooter before prior to Splatoon except for Metroid Prime Hunters for a few weeks, which I barely ever gained any skill in, so I began with the Splat Roller: Its usage is the most direct and straightforward of all of the beginning weapons and its strategies clear and obvious (but not so obvious that every opponent will know what you're doing).

But yeah, without being able to see the playstyle, I can't really analyze it. I'm only in B-rank, but I do understand various techniques and strategies by high-level players. I just don't have the reflexes and precision to execute them.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
But yeah, without being able to see the playstyle, I can't really analyze it. I'm only in B-rank, but I do understand various techniques and strategies by high-level players. I just don't have the reflexes and precision to execute them.
That's kind of why I ended up as a Defensive Player. Since I don't have the mentality to actually go in and take down the whole enemy team, I prefer to keep the enemy from doing that and play the role of the "Impenetrable Wall" since I can predict their movements due to my understanding of the enemy's strong points and weaknesses (btw, Haunt works really well with this playstyle).

For example, Carbon Rollers have to get up close and personal, so expect ambushes or hit-and-run tactics; to counter it make sure to clear as much of the enemy ink as possible before moving in and force them to come to you (and shoot them down while they're closing the gap). If you understand how something works, you understand how it doesn't work ;)

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
What's easy and what's difficult will vary a lot depending on the player. Personally, I think all blasters, including the Luna Blaster, has a high learning curve because you have to learn how to aim at your opponents to make best use of them, whereas I picked up the Inkbrush more or less immediately because I'm used to fast-moving platformers and can navigate efficiently with it. (But there ARE some weapons more or less deemed beginner-friendly, like the Splattershot Jr.)

It really depends on your gaming background. I've never played a shooter before prior to Splatoon except for Metroid Prime Hunters for a few weeks, which I barely ever gained any skill in, so I began with the Splat Roller: Its usage is the most direct and straightforward of all of the beginning weapons and its strategies clear and obvious (but not so obvious that every opponent will know what you're doing).

Interesting that you say so, i consider the Luna easy to learn because you don't have to aim precisely at the enemy(most splats come from two indirect hits). Basically squid-jump and shoot at baddies untill they go splat, weapon itself has little range but both kits offer ranged options. Rapid Blasters are a lot more tougher to learn though. I consider the Inkbrush really hard to use because both kits have no ranged options and the weapon itself has lackluster damage output, meaning you have to be on point to ambush players or chase them around. Octos are more forgiving though.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Believe me, I tried the Luna Blaster on the first day of playing this game, and I could not do squat with it. Its short range, lack of a panic button like with the Splattershot Jr., and my inability to control the Inkzooka meant everyone could play keep-away and I couldn't get any splats in. I was able to do a lot more with the Inkbrush and got an 8-game winning streak on my first session with it. (I also didn't know what the Luna Blaster was for, and I just went off on my own and did inking with it like everything else.)

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
What's easy and what's difficult will vary a lot depending on the player.
This is probably the best and most true statement ever made about gaming. I've played a lot of games where you can only damage bosses during a certain animation or part of the boss fight, and thus developed a play-style focused on patient observation followed by quick opportunistic strikes. As we 90s gamers say, dodge the attacks and shoot the glowing "**** me" light when it appears. I favor playing an aggressive defense where I'm not charging in, but always putting pressure on the other team with zone denial, covering fire, point anchoring, and ambushes from a long range with a lot of power. For me, the Gals and Splatlings fit perfectly, though I'm also trying to build some Charger skill because they reflect my game-play style.

For what it's worth, here's BlackZero's "The Art of Inking"

1) Learn the play style that feels right. Find a main weapon that suits it.

2) Learn how it stacks up to other weapons. Learn what counters it. Learn how counter them.

3) Learn how to play offense and defense with your weapon. You'll have to do both in any given match.

4) Don't engage unless you have the advantage. Ever. Splatoon doesn't give bravery points.

5) Learn how to gain the advantage. Withdraw if you can't.

6) Learn to spot opportunities and how to exploit them.

7) Take calculated risks when the odds are in your favor.

8) Distract the other team from the objective. Confuse when you can. Make their game as chaotic as possible

9) Know what your team needs from you. If you need to attack, do it. If you need to defend, do it. If you need to carry the Rain Maker, do it.

10) Plans are for engineers. Don't cling to a strategy that isn't working. Change your pattern of attack when you fail.

11) Repeating the same action while expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

12) When you take up a new weapon, you will start this cycle all over again.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Yeah, whereas with someone like me, I grew up on 2-D platformers, 3-D platformers, and kart racers. Hence, the playstyle I've developed is basically "any moment when you're not advancing is a wasted moment" and "every second is precious" because these are games that reward rushing forward and attacking anything that moves. In particular, when I was young, the ONLY games I played were Sonic games; the classic 16-bit games all had time limits and strongly encouraged you never stop moving. (As far as non-video games go, I am also a mid-level pinball player, and I participate in national and international competitions. Pinball also follows those principles of not wasting moments and making optimum use of your time.)

I learned the hard way that Splatoon is not a game like that, and the very idea of ambushing is difficult for me to conceive when I'm playing, as is letting the opponents have their moments so you can set yourself up. There is no hiding in the games I grew up playing. In these games, if someone attacks you, you dodge out of the way. But for this same reason, all of the brush weapons work for me because I can move fast enough that enemies have problems hitting me and I more or less unintentionally ambush by rushing them down before they can react.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Yeah, whereas with someone like me, I grew up on 2-D platformers, 3-D platformers, and kart racers. Hence, the playstyle I've developed is basically "any moment when you're not advancing is a wasted moment" and "every second is precious" because these are games that reward rushing forward and attacking anything that moves
Ah, a fellow Genesis/Master Drive Sonic veteran. So, in other words, this:

As far as non-video games go, I am also a mid-level pinball player, and I participate in national and international competitions. Pinball also follows those principles of not wasting moments and making optimum use of your time.
Are you the Pinball Wizard?

I learned the hard way that Splatoon is not a game like that, and the very idea of ambushing is difficult for me to conceive when I'm playing, as is letting the opponents have their moments so you can set yourself up.
I think a good team needs a balance of offense and defense. I've been on far too many teams that were hard-charging offense types right up to the point where the other team flanked everyone and wiped them out, or took them out with an unexpected Inkzooka or Kraken. At the same time, an all-defense team doesn't fare any better as they don't play aggressively enough and the other team keeps them on their back foot the whole match. I'm a platformer veteran as well, but I see them as puzzle games in disguise. They have to be solved by identifying patterns in obstacle, enemy movement and stage layout to find the most effective way to progress. After all, you can't speed-run without first figuring out the best route and what power-ups are necessary vs. ones that you can skip.:p

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think a good team needs a balance of offense and defense. I've been on far too many teams that were hard-charging offense types right up to the point where the other team flanked everyone and wiped them out, or took them out with an unexpected Inkzooka or Kraken. At the same time, an all-defense team doesn't fare any better as they don't play aggressively enough and the other team keeps them on their back foot the whole match. I'm a platformer veteran as well, but I see them as puzzle games in disguise. They have to be solved by identifying patterns in obstacle, enemy movement and stage layout to find the most effective way to progress. After all, you can't speed-run without first figuring out the best route and what power-ups are necessary vs. ones that you can skip.:p
I think the best match I ever had was one with 2 defensive teams on Moray Towers; we traded ink up until the last 30 seconds where my team began pushing. It makes me wonder how a passive sandbox mode would work as a sort of "hub world" for players to paint all over while Squid Partying :ability_inksavermain:

Kayura05

Inkster Jr.
A sandbox mode to play in with other players sounds fun but that's basically what people use Private Battles for. Would love the option though.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I think the best match I ever had was one with 2 defensive teams on Moray Towers; we traded ink up until the last 30 seconds where my team began pushing. It makes me wonder how a passive sandbox mode would work as a sort of "hub world" for players to paint all over while Squid Partying :ability_inksavermain:
Don't get me wrong, I prefer good defensive players over offensive as they tend to have better situational awareness in my experience. Since they spend most of their time actually looking for sneak attacks and flankers, they're usually better about picking up such things and responding to them. Most offensive players are always pushing forward with little regard for what's going on behind them. Then again, I play a lot of ramdoms, so I'm not dealing with the brightest bulbs in the ol' menorah.

However, I've also noticed with defense heavy teams, people aren't exactly pushing each other out of the way to get to the objective and some of them can be quite lost as to what to do once they've gained control of the tower or Rain Maker (not so much in Splat Zones). Hilarity ensues. That's why I believe a good balance is best: you need people who know how to push forward, and people who are good at covering their *****.

I think a free-play mode would be great. It would give people a "safe" place to learn the game and open the door for all manner of machinima/fan movies. Until then, we'll just have to make do with Gmod or SFM with Splatoon models.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Ah, a fellow Genesis/Master Drive Sonic veteran. So, in other words, this:

Are you the Pinball Wizard?

Yep, Sonic fan since 1991. Not as big as I used to, but I keep up to date with all things Sonic. (And because I am also a pinball fan, I am astonished there was never a real-life physical Sonic the Hedgehog pinball machine. Did you know SEGA made pinball machines between 1995 and 1999? They had the perfect opportunity and squandered it!)

And no, the highest I have ever been ranked was somewhere in the 8000s in the Professional & Amateur Pinball Association tournament standings (out of roughly 27,000). But that's because the system favors those who can freely travel around and go to many major competitions, and my work pretty much confines me near where I live and so I can only attend events in my area. (Apparently, Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver have such thriving pinball scenes that people can crack the top 100 within their cities.) That being said, there are some REAL pinball wizards who live in southern California, where I live: Keith Elwin, Carl deAngelo, Andrei Massenkoff, Jim Belsito, and Chris Matthews, all of them in the top 30 worldwide.

Unfortunately, the way I play gets myself slaughtered in Ranked in Splatoon, though I seem to put up pretty good fights in Turf Wars. After much thinking, I realized that my way of playing video games over the years has built up skill when dealing with one-on-one skirmishes, and Turf Wars has everyone facing every direction, whereas Ranked has everyone clustered in one place, and since I aggressively try to push the objective, whether it be inking the Splat Zone, standing on the Tower, or carrying the Rainmaker, it makes me everyone's target.

Despite my tendency to rush forward, I am actually a fine-details person by nature, so rather than speedrunning, I try to comb stages in various video games dry to find every little secret there is. As a result, I was briefly the world champion on some Sonic Heroes stages for score (as this is a game where there are seemingly random bonuses just for being in certain places).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom