I suck at this game. Help?

Java

Inkling
Hi! I'm Java. I recently got the game, not good at it. I don't usually get a lot of points in multiplayer , and I'm never the best in my team. Am I doing something wrong? Please help your fellow kid/squid out!
Thanks.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Can't really help, what weapon are you using? Try other weapons and choose the one you like the feel of.

Java

Inkling
I've been using everything my level allows me. Tentatek Splattershot, Squiffer, 52.Gal. Probably got those names wrong, but you get the idea.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
take the advice of many: git gud. Only with practice and dedication will you become a pro at a weapon.

___shan

Inkster Jr.
NNID
illegalcopy
Try to identify areas that you're lacking in. Have you noticed what you are poor at at the moment?

There is a very steep learning curve with this game so don't feel disheartened. Your skill will improve as you play the game more.

Have you finished the single player game? Many find that this helps them get better.

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
Based on the weapons that you listened above you have a really good choice of weapons! I believe that some players don't really know what their exact role is sometimes. what I mean is that Chargers have a completely different role than rollers, and shooters have a completely different role. For all of the weapons you have to understand your role.

For example, I play Tenatek Splattershot as well and I just try to make sure that I am always inking, however if I see an enemy try to take care of them, because I know that if I stop them from inking turf it will get my team closer to victory. I would highly recommend reading this guide. Its very helpful for weapons and giving stats.

One of the last tips that I can give you is try playing with motion controls if you don't, or vice versa. I prefer Motion cause that is what I use, but try switching.

Good Luck :D

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Its a learning curve. Just take the above advice and keep at it. My motto in video games is "Keep losing until you stop losing!"

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I used to suck too, until recently, so here are a bunch of tips that worked for me:
1) Get used to the controls, whether you use Motion or Analog (the non-Motion control option, I think that's it's name). This is critical; after all, nothing else matters if you can't control your Inkling!
2) What kind of weapons do you like to play, and what playstyle are they geared toward? For example, if you like Chargers (if you haven't unlocked Ranked yet, they get so much better in the Ranked modes, it's not even sort of funny), you should probably hang back and snipe from a distance, and try to avoid close combat, whereas if you like Rollers, you should lead the charge, inking up areas in a timely fashion and swinging at enemies to keep them at bay, but avoid midrange combat, since you'll lose. Figuring out what you do and don't enjoy using is important, since trying to play a weapon you don't enjoy will get dull quickly (that's basically my experience with the Tentatek Splattershot; it's good, and I usually win when I use it, but I don't really feel like I'm enjoying Splatoon when I use it).
3) Pick a single weapon and try to get good with it. You can switch if you want, but mostly try to use that one weapon until you feel you've mastered it.
3.5) Also, try new weapons as you unlock them. You might find something in the recent unlocks that you enjoy using a lot, and it might become a new addition to your arsenal. It's happened to me quite a few times, with the Splash-O-Matic, the Octobrush, and the N-Zap '89, to name the first few I can think of.
4) Speaking of new weapon unlocks, PLAY OCTO VALLEY. It's fun, it can help you get used to how Splatoon plays, and you unlock a bunch of weapons (and some gear!) by beating the bosses of Octo Valley, so you should do it.
5) SUPERJUMPING IS NOT REQUIRED. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO IT EVERY TIME YOU RESPAWN, YOU'LL JUST JUMP INTO AN AMBUSH LIKE HALF THE TIME. I still see this in A- Ranked lobbies (and I still do it), so I feel it's important to stress that.
5.5) Superjumping isn't useless, despite what I said above. If you know it'll be a safe superjump, or you have Stealth Jump (but that'll be slower than usual unless you have a Quick Super Jump to counteract it), or if you're jumping to a Squid Beakon (you don't get a warning that someone's jumping to a Beakon, so it's like a Stealth Jump without having to equip that ability), you should do it if you don't have anything to do where you currently are (and won't in the near future).
6) Be patient. You don't have to rush in constantly, especially if you're winning. It'll probably just get you splatted by someone who's waiting for that, and despite splats not directly counting toward the objective of any mode, getting splatted still hurts your team's chances, if only briefly, of winning, whether by holding onto a lead or making a last-minute comeback. It's better to move in with your teammates or shoot from a place where you're not likely to get splatted, and then advance a little (not too much, don't go very far beyond center unless it's a last-few-seconds push, generally) and secure the area.
7) Try to avoid getting splatted when you can. Getting splatted causes an inksplosion of the other team's ink to be spread from where you were splatted, which lowers the amount of turf your team has covered on the map and gives the enemy team a bit more area to swim in, and while you're waiting to respawn the rest of your team may get ambushed by the guy you were splatted by, since they have the numbers advantage over your team (at least, sometimes) and can gain a brief period of total control of the map if your whole team gets splatted.
7.5) Having said that, if you can splat at least two members of the enemy team before getting splatted, it might be worth it to take one for the team (and if you can somehow get the whole enemy team at once, go for it).
8) If your whole team got splatted except for you, try to retreat. You do nothing for your team by getting splatted and handing the map over to the enemy, so try to avoid getting splatted until they come back.
8.5) Though if you can't escape, try to splat your attackers before being splatted. At least you might take someone down with you, and they can't ink as much turf while your team gets back into the fight if there's one fewer of them.
9) You will get put with teammates who suck worse than you do, and sometimes you'll just end up against someone who wrecks you and your whole team for free. It happens, don't let it get you down.
9.5) On the same note, disconnects happen. Try not to get too annoyed when they happen to you or your teammate and you lose because of it (though if you win despite losing a teammate, that's awesome, and doable, so don't give up!). On the other hand, if it happens to the enemy team, wreck them extra hard.
Sorry if that's a lot of stuff, I just wanted to put everything I thought of. And sorry if some of that is fairly obvious stuff.
Hope it helps!

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
I'll just second what some of the others have said, and say: you need to just get more practice. That's really what "GIT GUD!!!" means, though I hesitate to actually say that. Keep practicing and you'll improve.

One thing I've found to be very important: Learn the maps! Learn every little corner! On some maps there are small bits that some players dont even seem to know about at all, because they're very out of the way and obscured; they can be useful. But it also allows you to identify important spots on the map that may have an advantage to you. In my case I tend to end up playing defense alot for.... some reason, so finding areas I can hold for long periods of time has been greatly helpful Particularly as I'm using the the Splatling gun (minigun) right now, which is fantastic at defending. In the right positions, I can remove tons of enemy ink from the area, get many points, and generally make things hard for any opponent that comes into that zone. While hopefully being in position to move to other areas if there seems to be a need. But I couldnt do these things if I didnt know the maps. You can try out any map from the main multiplayer menu, it's that "recon" function on the left. Well, you can try out any map that's currently up, anyway. It lets you just go into the maps entirely on your own and explore and mess with them a bit. It's very helpful for learning.

Also, experiment with ALL of the weapons, and dont give up on them too easily. You might find that something seems kinda bad at first, but later on, you end up liking it. Didnt like Blasters at all for the longest time myself, but eventually I gave them another go starting with the Lunablaster, and turned out that I was doing quite well with it; it was just a matter of having gotten enough experience with the game to have a better overall idea of how things work. The more you can experiment, the better.

And dont be afraid of messing things up by that experimenting, either. Turf War is best for this: you're not damaging your rank or anyone else's rank if you are experimenting with something and it's not going well. And you'll probably see other players that might be doing the same, but again, it aint gonna cause you any trouble. Yeah, it can kinda suck to lose and not get much XP or money from the match, but that's not THAT bad of a problem. And really, the only way to learn to use a weapon well in multiplayer is to play it in multiplayer, so.... you kinda have to do this. But do it ALOT with each weapon. It's impossible to fully get a grip on any of them after only a few tries. It can take quite awhile!

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
I find that, in competitive video games, you're not gonna get far without knowing the basics.

I'm currently into starcraft 2, so I'd like to bring up that game, as the metagame is developed enough to where I can do so. The obtaining of resources, buildings, and units (Macro) and the control of the units (Micro) are two core skills in RTS games. You may have the most insanely beautiful ideas in your head about how you can win games, and they may take you far. However, those ideas won't serve you too well if you don't have the basics down. How can you expect to confuse your opponent with strategy if you can't efficiently manage your army?

So, to bring it back to Splatoon, the most basic skills in this game probably boil down to Firefighting and Decision Making. You have to make sure that your reflexes and your aim are fast. You also have to make the correct decisions in whatever situation you find yourself. Every game can be broken down into dozens of one on one showdowns, and the person that makes the right choices and shoots faster will always win. There are a ton of other, higher level ways to gain an advantage over your opponent, but those techniques won't be useful to you until you get the basics down. To be honest, the game is still so fresh that one of the only things that separates the wheat from the chaff is shooting and decision making. Once people feel that they have reached the boundaries of reflexes, they will have to begin to worry about crazy executions of strategies and what not, but right now people just need to get comfortable with the top layer of gameplay.

TL;DR To get better, the very first thing you should worry about is making the right decision in every situation, aiming quickly, and shooting efficiently.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Might aswell put my own two cents here:

Watch the map, watch it GOOD. I cannot repeat this enough, srsly. I still see decent players getting surprised because they didn't see ink coming their way. Especially at the very start, you can practically see where the entire enemy team is going. Look at the map while you are refilling ink for starters. If you still have trouble looking at it, consider getting a shirt that has the Recon perk(shows you the entire enemy team while you're on spawn) just to teach you to look at the map now and then. Talking about patterns of ink on the enemy team, consider this:
-If you see a steady wide line of ink appearing, it's a roller
-If you see a long thin line of ink shot during intervals, it's a charger
-If you see a short line with a big splotch of ink at the end, it's a blaster
Lots of shooters don't really have telltale patterns of ink, but those are the ones easiest to tell. Just looking at the map makes it way harder for foes to ambush you, and makes it way easier for you to ambush them!

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
As someone who is very bad at carrying the team (most of the time have the worst K/D ratio) but really good at getting the objective done (riding the tower to the end or sneaking around with the Rainmaker), I can tell you that teammates are incredibly important to harmonize with. I wouldn't say I've been carried to S rank, but I have definitely depended on my teammates to get most of the kills while I excel at getting **** done. So my piece of advice is to know your teammates, know what they are good at and bad at and fill the role that they aren't particularly good at.

Secondly, shadowing a player who is very good can help our chances of survival immensely and you can maybe learn a thing or two in the process. And you can watch their back to make sure everything goes nicely without some unexpected interruptions.

That's all I got for you squiddo, keep at it!

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
The best thing to increase your power level is to watch other high levelled streamers.

When I first got the game, I was around B+ and I couldn't get into the A area. Then suddenly, I decided to watch an A+ stream known as BrTalrog in the smash community (normally never considered to watch splatoon streams but I took this as an option) The next day, I shot to A- because of how much I learned from him (I even call him Senpai).

But yeah, that's the best single advice I can give you; watch other high levelled player's streams: Samura1man is an S+ Finnish roller player (who's streams a lot and is now as I type).

Also try to learn different weapons, some weapons do much better on different maps and modes (like matchups in smash bros) so take the time to learn which is best on what.

And ONE LAST THING, I am probably one of the few players who took the longest time to learn motion controls. Once you get that down, you'll automatically be much better at aiming (I still take them off when using rollers though).

Bellarinaderp

Inkling
NNID
Bellarinaderp
Everyone here has given amazing advice and the only thing I could recommend that one person mentioned briefly is how important it is that you can always super jump back to your base or another player if they are in a safer area if you are put in a crap spot! I STILL have problems remembering that jumping back to base is a thing; and I'm going on level 25 now lol.

Also want to point out watching the map is really helpful but also observing whats going on around you. For example i use the custom jet squelcher alot and it has amazing range so I like to ink and watch people's patterns. Does this roller have a tendency to always charge on the left? Let's wait and lay down suppressive fire there. Charger using typical sniper high spots? If you got a ink mine lay it down or try and sneak up.

Last piece of advice I can give you: Just because you inked alot doesn't mean you win. Neither does a high K/D rate. You gotta find the harmony between wrecking the opposing team and covering turf (at least in turf war).

Hope I helped! Sorry for the wall of text! Remember to stay fresh :)

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
If possible do your best to not die in the last 45 seconds of Turf War games, you'll win a lot more if you play it safe and ink up rather than going head first into the enemy. I usually take their base while their are distracted at the middle, but you have to watch out and make sure you can escape if they figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom