• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 i want out of A+ in SZ..

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
yooooo everyone! :D

it's honestly giving me a headache now and yup some anger,since i know how the mode works,i know what to do and i play well,i maybe have a match/or bad day like everyone where i was the bad player but most of my matches it's really my team that stops me from reaching S rank..it keeps going back and forth,after4 cracks i start over again,then i almost reached S rank again but nope 4 cracks so i gotta start over again,because of how well i performed so many times i really deserve it to get out of A+ rank! my teammates for some reason are often bad..they either can't keep a hold of the SZ enough or they rely on me because they think i can carry them,just because i play well and know what i am doing does not mean i can carry 3 people but for some reason alot of the matchmaking is me being in teams where i almost always performed best..my skill is ready for S rank but my teammates literally are the wall between me and S rank T~T

what do you guys think? if you guys think i am being salty,then i am not,i would even be willing to proof it with showing recent SZ matches results after a match to show that i am really not lying about anything i am saying.

i just am wondering how this can even be possible?...and is there a way to finally make it happen since it's not my performance most of the time.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Play enough games and "bad teammates" will average out. If you've cracked your meter multiple times trying to get out of the A's, it's not just your team. Results screens are no use, they don't say anything about how you're handling the objective. I'm sure that if you posted whole videos of your matches, folks would be able to pick apart the mistakes you're making.

Hiro Protagonest

Full Squid
There was only one time I knew I belonged in one of the higher ranks. At one point when I was A-rank in everything, two things happened at about the same time: I started to learn more by using Recon, and I dropped from A- to B+ in Tower Control. Then I absolutely tore through B-rank. The only thing that could stop me was half my team getting disconnected.

Sure, I've had great KAs and painting scores during a long Rainmaker loss streak that was caused by strategic reasons; teammates taking unnecessary risks with the Rainmaker while in the lead, giving the opponents enough opportunities that they'd usually score a comeback in the second half. But I've gotten into S+ there now, if I flank and paint and sharply aim I will climb.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Here's my current breakdown from my current S+6 grind (I play E-Liter):
First of all, I've learned to say "It is how it is." I haven't skipped any ranks so far, and I got my fair share of cracks. Sometimes I lose because our team comp was rather wonky (two charger comps happen more often than I'd like. It's winnable, but harder), and sometimes I lose because I made a stupid mistake that caused the enemy team to fully regain map control and lock us out just long enough to win in Overtime.
Be - super - wary - of the overtime endgame! You have NO IDEA how much your opponents can level up just out of sheer desperation. :D

And...another thing is, sometimes I have off-matches. Or entire Off-days. Like, I'm just human. Some maps I'm stronger on, on others, I still need to gather more experience in order to position myself better. Zones, like any other mode, is one where you need to properly judge when to push, and when not to push. Keep your eye on the icons above. Are you in a player advantage or disadvantage? Are you pushing forward after you secured the zone? What are your weapon's strengths and weaknesses? Do you use your subs effectively, are your specials timed correctly? Some weapons have a larger room for mistakes than others, but at the end of the day, YOU are one-fourth of your team's overall performance. If you're having loss streaks that cause the bar to break multiple times, it's time to evaluate your own playstyle. You may be thinking you've done everything "by the book" when in reality you've been either been too aggressive, or too passive.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
It’s not your teammates, many players break through to S rank and higher with the same pool of teammates as you have. Its probably just that your expectation of what level of play is required to rank up is not accurate. Keep playing, you’ll start to understand the game better (even if you think you completely understand it now) and improve in ways that you didn’t know you needed to improve, and eventually the A-ranks will be a breeze.

One thing to do is think about what your teammates do that frustrates you and hurts your team, and look for those same things in the opposing players. Think about how the opposing team punishes yours when players make mistakes, and apply the same strategies when their players make the same mistakes. I know it can definitely feel like you defy the laws of probability and get stuck with the worst players, but you don’t, its all the same players out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: the

saint_kthulhu

Full Squid
There’s a lot to unpack here.

I’m not going to focus on everything. It’s a lot. And there’s quality feedback above. I do want to note that the stat sheet has useful information but there’s a lot of key information that it won’t show.

I don’t know enough about you or your playing style. So I’m just giving general examples of how the stat sheet can be misleading. (This is by no means an exhaustive list and I am not saying that any of these specific scenarios apply to you, I would not know.)

Kills and deaths are strong indicators of how you are playing. But the circumstances surrounding those K/Ds are important. Taking unnecessary risks, and dying at the wrong time can hurt your team, either by leaving your team short a player or leaving you unable to use your special at a vital time.

The number of specials you use is good. But the timing of when you use them and how effectively you use them (such as inkjet or Baller) is equally important.

Racking up huge turf numbers is nice but if it’s competely away from the action for most of the game (e.g. Tenta missile spammers) it’s leaving your team short a player in the trenches.

There is also the consideration of playing a specific role based on your weapon choice. Such as pressing too far forward (and subsequently dying too often) with a back line weapon, or hanging too far back with a front line slayer weapon.

Likewise the stats on your teammates aren’t necessarily telling the whole story of how they played eiher. Someone who is extremely objective focused and/or playing a support weapon may not necessarily rack up huge kills. But they could be the one who keeps flipping the zone in your teams favor and ensuring you have ink on the ground to work with.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
hey everyone! sorry for my so late reply,but i will give some more info about my playing style since i haven't really told that yet >.< i still have to read most of you guy's reactions but i will get to that right now since i have not been really online on here alot lately

i usually go for the octobrush since it is easier to cover the SZ,especially from a area above the SZ haha,my playing style would be going for the SZ and trying to kill everyone who tries to comes near it while we are in control so i am a attacker and defender who stays near the SZ and would only flee if i know i would die,but here is the part i also need my teammates but i been noticing in multiple matches,they do their own thing cause i can hold on for just so long until someone finally splats me x.x and when i die the enemy seems to get control much easier so i know that i am doing a good job because of this ^^''

when it comes to losing control to the enemy...well i try to hide near the SZ at a safe spot if possible while also giving my team the option to superjump tp me,then i wait until all my teammates are back to life and once they all attack i will join in as well,but in multiple matches we only were able to get the control back for a short time until the enemy gets it back as well x.x

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
hey everyone! sorry for my so late reply,but i will give some more info about my playing style since i haven't really told that yet >.< i still have to read most of you guy's reactions but i will get to that right now since i have not been really online on here alot lately

i usually go for the octobrush since it is easier to cover the SZ,especially from a area above the SZ haha,my playing style would be going for the SZ and trying to kill everyone who tries to comes near it while we are in control so i am a attacker and defender who stays near the SZ and would only flee if i know i would die,but here is the part i also need my teammates but i been noticing in multiple matches,they do their own thing cause i can hold on for just so long until someone finally splats me x.x and when i die the enemy seems to get control much easier so i know that i am doing a good job because of this ^^''

when it comes to losing control to the enemy...well i try to hide near the SZ at a safe spot if possible while also giving my team the option to superjump tp me,then i wait until all my teammates are back to life and once they all attack i will join in as well,but in multiple matches we only were able to get the control back for a short time until the enemy gets it back as well x.x
What about trying the Octobrush Nouveau? Seems like your style. Place beakons around the zone to detect enemy movement, and use Tenta Missiles to pressure. Your teammates can also jump to your beakons (emphasis on can)! Only downside is that you don't have the Autobomb to poke snipers and sting rayers.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Well the problem is that you protect the zone when you get in control. In splat zones, the battle doesn't occur in the zone as much as it occurs outside of it. Typically when you take control of the zone and clear out mid, everyone pushes up to pressure the enemies closer to their spawn, locking them out of mid giving them no options to even touch the zone without killing you team. The only person who would stay in or around zone would be a backliner like a charger or heavy/hydra or cjs depending on comp/playstyle. The octobrush is an aggro weapon. While yes good at sharking, you can't just shark in zone to win. You need to pressure the enemy side of the map and kill people there. If you die in zone then you would permissibly be the last line of defense which would make sense as to why you'd lose control. Leave that to the backliner and move up when you get in control. The other thing about splat zones is using your special to get back in at the right time. Pop an inkjet when other people have specials to pressure mid a lot and it's almost a guaranteed cap. One of the biggest mistakes I see in low rank splat zones matches is merely focusing on painting zone and seeing that as the main objective (The other biggest mistake is protecting the zone... in the zone...). Anyways, literally just painting to win is not gonna work the higher you get, and is only gonna piss off your teammates because you're not really helping the objective in the bigger picture. While yes at it's foundation the point of the mode is to keep the zone painted, the way you do this the best is to kill. Killing is so important especially in splat zones. Imagine your whole team handles mid pressure by just painting the zone when you're challenged, and the enemy team focuses on killing you guys. While you may be able to hold the zone in control for a little longer, in the grand scheme of things, you're gonna all die and lose control of mid and lose control of any foothold outside your base and have to work your way back in again. Again, the way you do this is by being patient and getting specials and using them together to pressure and following up with kills to take back control. But anyways, merely painting zone doesn't work the higher you get and if that's a habit you see or participate in, you gotta put it to an end. I can't stress enough how important kills are in this game mode, and all others too.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Ok so I have a few things to say, and I might not be as nice as the other comments so far (just an advance warning) :)

There are 2 things I would like to say to open.

1. You are the problem here, not your teammates - bad/good teammates average out over as many matches as you’ve apparently been playing.

2. Please never say you ‘deserve’ a certain rank. You do not deserve a higher rank unless you can carry your teammates in the rank you’re currently in.

Ok so on to the nice part :)

It sounds to me like you’re playing the octobrush a little too passively - I lowkey feel like the inkbrush would suit your play style a little more.

I recently picked up the octobrush just to mess around with and WOW IT SURE FEELS BROKEN (I know it isn’t but it sure feels that way). The only weapon I really struggled to deal with was the Bloblobber (ugh I hate that thing soo much you can’t even understand). Like broken to the point that I literally just threw myself at anyone trying to challenge my dominance of the area around the zone and usually came off better than my opponent.

So yeah

You’re not being agressive enough.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
Ok so I have a few things to say, and I might not be as nice as the other comments so far (just an advance warning) :)

There are 2 things I would like to say to open.

1. You are the problem here, not your teammates - bad/good teammates average out over as many matches as you’ve apparently been playing.

2. Please never say you ‘deserve’ a certain rank. You do not deserve a higher rank unless you can carry your teammates in the rank you’re currently in.

Ok so on to the nice part :)

It sounds to me like you’re playing the octobrush a little too passively - I lowkey feel like the inkbrush would suit your play style a little more.

I recently picked up the octobrush just to mess around with and WOW IT SURE FEELS BROKEN (I know it isn’t but it sure feels that way). The only weapon I really struggled to deal with was the Bloblobber (ugh I hate that thing soo much you can’t even understand). Like broken to the point that I literally just threw myself at anyone trying to challenge my dominance of the area around the zone and usually came off better than my opponent.

So yeah

You’re not being agressive enough.
i will try to reply to everything you said ^^''

1. in most of the matches around the time i posted this thread,i really was not the problem,i really did good,don't get me wrong if i know it was me 100% i would admit it,and of course there were 2 or 3 matches where it probably was me but most of them it really wasn't like that cause i did really well.i know everyone says not to blame your teammates but you know it's not always me either,so if it was on my teammates i will say that too just like i would say it if it was me.

2. with how well i was playing i really feel like i deserved it,there were some matches where i was carrying but like i mentioned in other threads i cannot carry 3 teammates who all expect me to do everything,i need at least some help here,it already happend 3 times at least that the losing streak happend only if i needed 1 more win,you can't blame me for being done with that bad luck at some point,but even here i am kinda realistic like i know i will never reach X rank but i am good enough to reach S rank at least,S+ i just have to wait and see >.< if i know i wasn't good enough for S rank i wouldn't say it really.

well..i do try to be agressive,i always am when it comes to conquering the SZ and once we are in control,i do start to play more defensly,i try to keep the SZ in our control as long as i can cause each second matters,any enemy trying to come near i would try to splat while getting rid of the enemy color where i can...but do i even need to be agressive even after conquering the SZ? i mean someone has to stay near that SZ in case 1 or 2 enemies are capable of sneaking to it am i right? i seen it happen to the enemy who sometimes played agressive after having the SZ but either me and/or some of my teammates got through and conquered the SZ with ease cause no one was there and in some matches the enemy could not get their control back,if 1 or 2 of them stayed behind they may had won instead o:

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
well..i do try to be agressive,i always am when it comes to conquering the SZ and once we are in control,i do start to play more defensly,i try to keep the SZ in our control as long as i can cause each second matters,any enemy trying to come near i would try to splat while getting rid of the enemy color where i can...but do i even need to be agressive even after conquering the SZ? i mean someone has to stay near that SZ in case 1 or 2 enemies are capable of sneaking to it am i right? i seen it happen to the enemy who sometimes played agressive after having the SZ but either me and/or some of my teammates got through and conquered the SZ with ease cause no one was there and in some matches the enemy could not get their control back,if 1 or 2 of them stayed behind they may had won instead o:
I know it may be a hard concept to grasp, but staying near the zone when in control will hinder your progress. You need to push forward otherwise it's a cake walk for the enemy team to get back to zone. It's far far far more effective than trying to shark in zone. Imagine you lost control of zone and the enemy team pushes forward and paints your side of the map and can kill you before you can even get to zone. This is what you should be doing to the other team. Now, imagine you lose control of the zone and the enemies are all lurking around zone. You may now go kill them because you know where all of them are and can pressure them and kill them as they're all grouped up. Take my word as someone who learned this from top tier competitive players, and does this in rank X successfully. If you push up and pressure properly, then no one should be able to "sneak by into zone."

saint_kthulhu

Full Squid
Opposing players sneaking past is just a matter of positioning.

If you see your teammates overloading on the same route, you can always consider positioning yourself near one of the alternate routes, to protect your team from getting flanked.

Also be sure to scan the map for beakons (if they have beakon weapons) and take them out to limit your opponents options.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
i will try to reply to everything you said ^^''

1. in most of the matches around the time i posted this thread,i really was not the problem,i really did good,don't get me wrong if i know it was me 100% i would admit it,and of course there were 2 or 3 matches where it probably was me but most of them it really wasn't like that cause i did really well.i know everyone says not to blame your teammates but you know it's not always me either,so if it was on my teammates i will say that too just like i would say it if it was me.

2. with how well i was playing i really feel like i deserved it,there were some matches where i was carrying but like i mentioned in other threads i cannot carry 3 teammates who all expect me to do everything,i need at least some help here,it already happend 3 times at least that the losing streak happend only if i needed 1 more win,you can't blame me for being done with that bad luck at some point,but even here i am kinda realistic like i know i will never reach X rank but i am good enough to reach S rank at least,S+ i just have to wait and see >.< if i know i wasn't good enough for S rank i wouldn't say it really.

My dude.

You’re basically saying ‘I know it’s me that’s the problem but I’m not the problem’ and it’s giving me a headache.

The only way you’ll ever improve your rank is by picking up your game - even if you’re not the problem as you’ve been saying, it’s not exactly going to hurt you, is it?

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
My dude.

You’re basically saying ‘I know it’s me that’s the problem but I’m not the problem’ and it’s giving me a headache.

The only way you’ll ever improve your rank is by picking up your game - even if you’re not the problem as you’ve been saying, it’s not exactly going to hurt you, is it?
sorry if i come over confusing,english is not my main language so at times i make no sense ^^'' but since i got the feeling you tried to say that it was always me in each match i tried to explain that it's not like that,basically i meant that it's sometimes me and other times it is my team.

i do always try my best even if i am the 1 carrying or dealing with a disconnect on my team,i even had some matches in ranked that i won with a disconnect on my team (mostly RM lol),and since i wanna improve even more,i will follow the advice people gave me to be more agressive when being in control and i hope it will work out! :D

saint_kthulhu

Full Squid
IMO the game’s solo ranking system is brutally accurate. (at least for all ranks below X)

When I first picked the game up, it took me what felt like a long time to get out of the B ranks. Then I struggled to get out of the A’s. I struggled to get out of S. And I’ve been very slowly plodding away in S+ for months. The whole process took me close to a year of playing and I’m still solidly below X.

Then one day for funsies I made an alt account. Within a matter of days I was up to S+ on the alt, plateauing at the same power lobbies I get on my main account. That’s not because I got some exceptionally lucky string of games where I was consistently carried. The game simply does a solid job of assessing power levels and placing similarly skilled players together ( at least in solo rank)

I know it doesn’t always feel that way. Disconnects suck. And you’re going to have teammates that don’t appear to pull their weight - at least not on the stat sheet. Some people just have bad games. And if you’re honest with yourself, you’ll find that you have some too. We all do. But even the players at the top levels of X rank have to deal with disconnects, etc. Over the course of a long stretch of games, that stuff mostly evens out.

The game will upgrade your rank when you’re ready. And honestly when you make it to the next level you’ll find similar challenges, but against much tougher opponents.

(I apologize if this in any way sounded like a brag - me admitting I’ve played for a full year and that I’m still below X is no brag imo lol. I’m just sharing my personal experience. we all learn and improve at our own pace.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom