• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I wonder if competitive people will find ridiculous methods for winning

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarKun

Full Squid
You know, like perfect pivoting, wave dashing, etc in smash bros

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Competitive folks will probably find a way to ruin the fun of the game, that is for sure.

StarKun

Full Squid
Competitive folks will probably find a way to ruin the fun of the game, that is for sure.
Off topic but reilaaa, I remember you from the smashboards leak group!

Also when do competitive people NOT ruin the fun of games?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Oh come on.. you don't have to be like that.
--
I imagine there will be some techniques, but this is a shooter after all so I wouldn't worry about it.

i think that wont be much of a problem, nintendo has been relentless with patching things like that. Lets just hope there won't be any bandwagoning happening in this game
Hey, um.. if you have anything extra to add you can always edit your original message so you don't have to double post. ;)

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
lets not jump to conclusions just yet now ;)
You are right, it is still early to form opinions, but considering the posts I am reading here + the fact part of the Splatoon community comes from the no fun allowed Smash community, it isn't stretching to assume the Splatoon competitive community is bound to be obnoxious. Which is a shame, because even if I am not interested in competing, that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to follow the community.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Off topic but reilaaa, I remember you from the smashboards leak group!

Also when do competitive people NOT ruin the fun of games?
Hey there : D

Well, when a game is build around being competitive, like say, Street Fighter, The King of Fighters, Counter Strike, etc.

But when people try to force competitiveness into casul games likes Smash, Mario Kart and Splatoon, yeah, it totally kills the fun.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
well based on how the game plays out (ive played it at pax east btw) its not that easy to maneuver in a way that wont be punished. since the game itself does not count kills to your score the obnoxious parts could be a lot less than what some are assuming

Lyn

Premium
But when people try to force competitiveness into casul games likes Smash, Mario Kart and Splatoon, yeah, it totally kills the fun.
I'd like to note those are all games based on competing with each other, so that doesn't make a lot of sense. Nobody is forcing competitiveness into it, you can play how you'd like. You also can't blame people for wanting to compete in the game, since that's mostly the point of the game.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
lets not blow this up into an argument about competitiveness, games are fun, fun is cool, yeaaaa......

Lyn

Premium
lets not blow this up into an argument about competitiveness, games are fun, fun is cool, yeaaaa......
Well, this is a thread about that specific topic after all so there's not much I can say about that. It's to be expected, especially since debate is so common on forums.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
FPS/TPS games tend to have somewhat rigorous testing and balancing done beforehand but with Nintendo behind it and a dev team that doesn't seem to have much experience in shooters I'll be curious to see how the meta pans out upon release. I'm an avid glitch hunter myself so I know I'll be looking deep into the movement mechanics in order to find any potential exploits.

However due to how the game actually works you really have to diverge from the idea that weapon power is king. I'll be interested to see how the meta pans out and what is prioritised in competitive play.

When you look at Smash there are a tiny amount of thing that actually effect the mechanics of the game that aren't intended or come from a competitive background simply due to the game mechanics. FPS games like CoD4 when looked at from that angle have a massive amount, bounces, bhopping, strafejumping, wall running etc. Thing that drastically change the entire meta and balance of the game simply due to timings which tend to be one of the primary factors in competitive play.

However with Splatoon's movement mechanics being one of the primary features of the game I imagine we'll find little more than small quirks honestly, I'm curious to see if the squid form can be abused in any way but time will tell.

Reactions: Lyn

Mr.HawK

The Artist
actually you are right on point with that last statement Kat! the squid transformations can be used in some crazy ways. there is a method called splatter-hopping that enables you to quickly cover areas with ink and transform into a squid simultaneously, it can also be used a an offensive and defensive tactic when you are very close to enemies. they wont be able o track your movements as much which give you the upper hand

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
There's been some debate here regarding if game breaking techniques will ruin the experience for everyone in splatoon.

This game is all about movement and territory. While I don't anticipate any revolutionary tech being developed regarding the latter (though we'll see), the biggest thing that'll be experimented with is the movement options players have; splatter hopping, squid teching, and other techniques all take advantage of the inkling's squid form, opening up a variety of offensive and defensive options in battle.

For games like turf war, none of these techniques are really that important. Aside from squid teching (which, even then, doesn't add much to the team's overall score), the primary objective is to just cover everything with ink.

In that sense, I believe the thing everyone who plays this game needs to understand is the primary gameplay mechanics; that is, shooting ink, turning into a squid, and recharging your ink. Regardless if you're endeavorimg to be a competitive player or casual player, every one must be able to understand these three things in order to play at any level.

TL;DR: Basically, I'm not worried about conpetivive players "ruining the fun." Competitive players are more than likely going to flock to ranked battle game modes, while turf war can be played by everybody of all play styles.

StarKun

Full Squid
TL;DR: Basically, I'm not worried about conpetivive players "ruining the fun." Competitive players are more than likely going to flock to ranked battle game modes, while turf war can be played by everybody of all play styles.
but what if that takes out the fun in ranked matches?

Though if players have a varied weapon set, their teching opponents are probably SOL.

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
but what if that takes out the fun in ranked matches?

Though if players have a varied weapon set, their teching opponents are probably SOL.
It all depends on the weapon and map, though we'll see how the game turns out soon enough! :D

StarKun

Full Squid
It all depends on the weapon and map, though we'll see how the game turns out soon enough! :D
On one hand, as someone who wants to frequent the ink roller, I wanna be "watch out you filthy campers"

on the other hand I don't wanna be "why the hell did everyone else bring the ink roller"

Lozjam

Inkster Jr.
Hey there : D

Well, when a game is build around being competitive, like say, Street Fighter, The King of Fighters, Counter Strike, etc.

Except Splatoon was made to be competitive, or it is meant to at the very least and definitely not made to hinder a competitive scene.
And I hate to burst your bubble, but 200CC has made Mariokart all the more competitive, and it singlehandedly changed the metagame.
The only thing that truly isn't competitive now is Smash, yet the community works with it.
Anyway, on Splatoon.
Nogami shares his thoughts on the competitive scene
"The guiding impulse for making Splatoon was not to say, 'Let's make a shooting game for beginners, but a game that people are going to be able to enjoy with a variety of playstyles, variety of skill levels,'" he said when asked if he thought Splatoon would be a good fit for professional competitive gaming. "And so it's not outside the realm of possibility that the game could be enjoyed in that way."

"Personally speaking, I feel like there is sort of a sport element to Splatoon in that you're constantly adjusting to situations on the battlefield; looking, 'Oh this space is open here, let's attack,' or, 'Oh, we need to defend here.' So there's this offense-defense dynamic," he added. "And in that way [it] resembles a sport."
[/quote[
So there. How it will it "ruin" your experience anyway. Go play the game how you want to. Splatoon has already confirmed to have a matchmaking system, so you will be paired people who more want a casual experience in the game. It is as simple as that. So I wouldn't complain one bit. Especially do not complain on the competitive boards as well, as a competitive metagame will happen whether you like it or not. Just giving you a piece of advice :)
On one hand, as someone who wants to frequent the ink roller, I wanna be "watch out you filthy campers"

on the other hand I don't wanna be "why the hell did everyone else bring the ink roller"
I really will not worry about that. Once they play, people will get a proper feel for all the weapons. I doubt the Roller will be overpowered by any means. The Roller is very easily taken out by splattershots, they just need to keep their distance away from you. Once people get used to the game, they will know how to deal with rollers, I guarantee you. Your job, however, would be to outsmart everyone! :)
BAHAHAHAHA You will strike down your enemies and make them explode with ink!

As for the topic.
I highly doubt that many "broken" AT's will stay for long. Nintendo has already brought so many things to the competitive plate in this game, especially with movement options. I think everything will around on strategy in this meta, and it will focus less on pure technical skill. There will be some technical stuff, but most of it, I feel, were implemented intentionally by the developers. For example, squid hopping was entirely intentional, it looks cool, and it has some great potential with moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom