If you could make a multiplayer game mode, what would it be?

Axel Sparkster

Booyah Boi
NNID
AxelSparkster
For example, there's Tower Control, Rainmaker and Splat Zones - what ideas do you have?

I had an idea or two earlier but I forgot them. I'll either edit this post with mine or just make a new reply later.

Current ideas:

Last edited:

Dragonuto

Pro Squid
Community Ambassador
NNID
Dragonuto
A game mode where you only have 3 lives as a player, this is not shared and as soon as your teams lives are gone that's game. This would also come with a variant where your team lives come from a pool, but that wouldn't be as good because it would increase salt, yadayada. This mode would have shortened respawn times and quicker swim speeds. But it would also have longer super jump times and bigger ripples when your swimming to make your presence more pronounced. Specials would be disabled but subs would be enabled. Generally it would be a really intense game mode with a really intense atmosphere!

Enjeru

Inkling
NNID
EnjeruMiron
For example, there's Tower Control, Rainmaker and Splat Zones - what ideas do you have?

I had an idea or two earlier but I forgot them. I'll either edit this post with mine or just make a new reply later.
survival of the freshest no re-spawn last squad standing wins

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm still standing by my Octarian Inkvasion idea. 4 Inklings guarding a few Zapfish, and waves of Octarian forces try to steal them. Game ends after the last Zapfish is taken, or all 5-sh waves are defeated.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
I say we nab a few off our favorite FPS's. Rainmaker is more like King of the Hill... Or whatever.

Capture the flag, death match, etc.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
A mode where you have to destroy as many of the other team's statues as possible. At the start of each game, each player must tap the map 3 times (in legal spots) to place a small (a bit bigger than a beakon) statue. There is a time limit of 15 seconds, statues not placed will just be randomly placed before everyone is freed from spawn. A statue has 500 health, will slowly heal itself (1 damage point per second), and resists offencive specials by 85% (to prevent Inkstrike/Wail/Kracken/Inkzooka from being OP). It can be super jumped to like a beakon (although, super jumping takes twice as long when going to a statue for balancing purposes). The other team's statues are invisible on the minimap unless even a single point of damage is on said statue, which causes it to show up on the minimap. Destroy as many opposing statues while defending your own, the one with the most statues after 5 minutes gets the win. Breaking all the other team's statues leads to a KO, while ties go into overtime, where statues appear on the map at all times and do not heal.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Capture the flag
See, I've thought about this, and I'm not so sure it would work well because of the ink mechanic. All you'd have to do is ink a path from the flag to your base, grab it, and swim back. It'd be over too quickly, even if you had to score multiple times.

One solution I can think of is that holding the flag prevents you from going into squid form, but that wouldn't make sense considering the Inklings can carry virtually everything else when swimming.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Team obstacle course races might be fun. You could either have it set up where the first team with all members to finish wins, or have a relay race where players take turns carrying a Zapfish plushie through a bunch of obstacles to the goal. They could even set it up like a Gmod Death Run where one team runs the course while the other tries to kill them, then they swap roles. Whichever team gets the farthest wins. If one makes it all the way on first try, the second team gets a chance to run all the way through. If both do it, whichever team lost the fewest players wins. If they both lose the same amount, best the best time wins. If they both somehow get the same time, they do a sudden death deathmatch. Something like Extreme Football Throwdown would be awesome and hella fun.

I'd add a free-play/sandbox mode where you can spawn into a map with other players and do whatever you want. Would be great for making videos or just burning time until your friends or squad gets online for a match. You'd be able to toggle the option to be killable, so you could either run around splatting people or just chill and work on some street art.

Spectator mode would be great too. You could watch whatever matches you want from anyone's perspective. As an added bonus, I'd give you the option to throw rotten produce at players you didn't like and hold up Mii-Verse posts as signs.

AspireArt

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Boponpa
Turret defender. You have to hold one of the turrets from the single player mode from the other team. It has a shield sort of like the rainmaker but it's active when the player is in it. The enemy team does much more damage to the shield than the defending team, and if it pops it has a similar explosion mechanic. You can't (if you're defending) make the shield your team's color. May the best tactics win.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
Something about diffusing certain objectives with ink.
Similar to planting diffusing bombs and such. Let's call it Search and Destroy.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
See, I've thought about this, and I'm not so sure it would work well because of the ink mechanic. All you'd have to do is ink a path from the flag to your base, grab it, and swim back. It'd be over too quickly, even if you had to score multiple times.

One solution I can think of is that holding the flag prevents you from going into squid form, but that wouldn't make sense considering the Inklings can carry virtually everything else when swimming.
I think the skills of some players would make that hard to do, actually.

Spectator mode would be great too. You could watch whatever matches you want from anyone's perspective. As an added bonus, I'd give you the option to throw rotten produce at players you didn't like and hold up Mii-Verse posts as signs.
Yes, Yes and more Yes. ESPECIALLY if you're waiting for a match to end so you can join.

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I don't really have any ideas for multiplayer modes, but i do have a few singleplayer ones:

Time Trial:
Player will have to reach certain checkpoints scattered all across a multiplayer map in any given order. While the player can take as long as it wants, the goal is to take the least time as possible going through all the checkpoints of the map.

Ink Trial:
Ink 60% of the map as fast as possible. While the user can pick any weapon for it, there should be individual records for every weapon.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I've got a few ideas for new Ranked modes:

Pickle Tag/ガチオニ:
One random player from each team has a barrel shoved upon them, making them unable to use their weapons. The other three will need to guide them to the other spawn point to break them free and/or attempt to shoot down the enemy team's "pickled" squid. The barrel gives the unfortunate Inkling 2-5 times as much health as normal but makes them unable to heal. It also slows them down and disables their Super Jump as if they were carrying the Rainmaker. The game ends when one pickled Inkling either makes it to the other end and busts out of the barrel or otherwise gets splatted. Falling off the stage will only result in them getting sent back to the furthest point they reached with a minor penalty to their health. In case of a pickled Inkling getting D/C'd, another Inkling will be pickled and the enemy team will have one of its non-pickled members sitting out the rest of the match.

Splatterball/ガチボール:
Basically Splatoon's take on Federation Force's BlitzBall. Both teams must guide a Splatterball (roughly the size of an Inkling) towards the opponent's goal. Unlike other battle modes, Inklings are immune to enemy ink from the usual weapons and enemy turf will only affect Inklings as if they all had Ink Resistance Up. However, they can now be splatted by the ball if it gets knocked onto them with enough momentum by the opponents. The first to get three goals wins, but own goals will count against the team that committed them. Furthermore, for every goal one team scores their opponent's goal will shrink to make it harder to score again. To accommodate for these rules and prevent easy victories, several maps will have major changes. For example, the central pillar in Blackbelly will be removed in favor of the Splatterball spawn point, while Moray Towers will be flattened and have several connecting grates and taller walls at the bounds to facilitate the ball's travel.

Last edited:

Xtura

Inkling
NNID
xtura9
Extended time selection 5/10 minute selections on all current games, achievements, kill count recorder, kill count/death ratio included in formula to balance teams, would satisfy me just fine. I know these suggestions aren't "mode" specific, but they're related.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom