• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I'm having higher expectations for the Wii U for some reason

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
My expectations are the exact opposite. I used to have good expectations for the Wii U, but the fact it's currently going through a major game drought along with the system not doing so hot just made my expectations go much lower. Only games I liked for the Wii U this year were Splatoon & Yoshi's Woolly World. Other games like Super Mario Maker or any of the other Mario games don't interest me at all. And don't get me started on that Animal Crossing party game abomination.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
It's dead as far as I'm concerned. They tried with it until the very end and threw us a half-baked Animal Crossing, Mario Tennis, other carp that nobody wanted. Third parties pretend it doesn't exist and every game now has to have amiibo support. I bought like, 4 games this year for it. That's an all time new low for me.

I love it a lot, but it's library will never compare to previous consoles. Splatoon is the best thing to happen on it and hopefully the NX will have an even better Splatoon in the future.

The 3DS has a much better library at this point, and they're not even trying with that anymore.

Howl7

Pro Squid
I think that it's not strange, i have good expectations too. ^_^
Wii U have a lot of good titles (examples: Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Super Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8), Xenoblade Chronicles X and Fast Racing Neo are "near" and in the next year we will have other games such as Pokken Tournament, Starfox Zero, Zelda Wii U (i hope as soon as possible) and maybe Pikmin 4... Now i hyped myself. XD

I hope that we will have soon the next Nintendo Direct, maybe with Pikmin 4 and Zelda Wii U footage.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
I think that it's not strange, i have good expectations too. ^_^
Wii U have a lot of good titles (examples: Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Super Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8), Xenoblade Chronicles X and Fast Racing Neo are "near" and in the next year we will have other games such as Pokken Tournament, Starfox Zero, Zelda Wii U (i hope as soon as possible) and maybe Pikmin 4... Now i hyped myself. XD

I hope that we will have soon the next Nintendo Direct, maybe with Pikmin 4 and Zelda Wii U footage.
But they're all first party games. The system doesn't even have good third party support and it's one of the reasons why the Wii U's failing. Sure the first party games are good, but it still doesn't change the fact it needs third party games, too.

And having more Zelda U footage would be great. I can't believe we went over a year with no new info on the game other than brief mentions of it.

Howl7

Pro Squid
But they're all first party games. The system doesn't even have good third party support and it's one of the reasons why the Wii U's failing. Sure the first party games are good, but it still doesn't change the fact it needs third party games, too.

And having more Zelda U footage would be great. I can't believe we went over a year with no new info on the game other than brief mentions of it.
The commercial failure of Wii U is another issue, caused especially by a really bad marketing.
Anyway the topic is not on the selling results of the console or the third party abandonment, but if we have or don't have high expectations for the near future of the console and i have high expectations because other great games are coming. ^_^

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Going forward, I have pretty low expectations for the Wii U. I love the system and its library, but there probably won't be many more big games on it. There is Star Fox, and Pokken, Twilight Princes HD, and maybe Zelda U. Looking at Nintendo's E3 lineup this year, I think they are saving some big games for the next system. The Wii U is probably out the door unfortunately.

I used to think there was no way Zelda U would be delayed to the NX. Now I'm not so sure, Nintendo needs something big to launch the NX with, and a brand new Zelda game would be enough to get people excited to pick up the system. Putting Twilight Princess at the launch of the Wii was very successful, they may do the same with NX and The Legend of Zelda: Enchanted Fields. (working title)

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
It's dead as far as I'm concerned. They tried with it until the very end and threw us a half-baked Animal Crossing, Mario Tennis, other carp that nobody wanted. Third parties pretend it doesn't exist and every game now has to have amiibo support. I bought like, 4 games this year for it. That's an all time new low for me.

I love it a lot, but it's library will never compare to previous consoles. Splatoon is the best thing to happen on it and hopefully the NX will have an even better Splatoon in the future.

The 3DS has a much better library at this point, and they're not even trying with that anymore.
I've only bought five Wii U games this year and one of them actually came out a couple years ago (The Wonderful 101). My Wii U collection is so puny compared to my other video game collections like the GCN & Wii, for example. Heck, I even have a decent collection of N64 games and that had nonexistent third party support, too.

Concerning the 3DS, you'd think they would put more effort into its game library instead of releasing more half-***** shovelware on it. I really miss how awesome both the GBA & DS were.

Aromaiden

Full Squid
The Wii U itself is a commercial flop, and currently is Nintendo's Worst selling home console; in general it represents some of Nintendo's greatest issues. It doesn't help that Nintendo basically gave up on it and are already turning their attention to the NX (whatever that may be). So I'm personally not surprised you're expecting more from it.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I've only bought five Wii U games this year and one of them actually came out a couple years ago (The Wonderful 101). My Wii U collection is so puny compared to my other video game collections like the GCN & Wii, for example. Heck, I even have a decent collection of N64 games and that had nonexistent third party support, too.

Concerning the 3DS, you'd think they would put more effort into its game library instead of releasing more half-***** shovelware on it. I really miss how awesome both the GBA & DS were.
I bought this year Mario Party 10, which was pretty disappointing all things considering, Splatoon, which turned out to the best thing on this system, and Super Mario Maker which is really polished and a lot of fun. I plan on buying Yoshi's Wooly World and Xenoblade X by the year's end.

My Wii U library is tiny compared to my Wii and Gamecube library. I have like, 40+ games on the Gamecube, and at least 20+ (I'm too lazy to count) games I have on Wii, what 10+ games on Wii U? Granted, some of them are great but the tiny library is just awful and Mario Tennis and amiibo Festival (I don't care. It's less of an AC game than *** **** HHD) look like pure trash. Zelda, Star Fox, and Xenoblade are the only games coming out that I'll buy. I'll get to buying Yoshi in the next couple of weeks. It looks super cute and fun and I gotta support the first good Yoshi game since Yoshi's Island all the way back in the SNES.

The 3DS...is strange to say. Sometimes it had some amazing games like Animal Crossing New Leaf and Fantasy Life, and then it had some junk in the way too. But now? They're not even trying! HHD and Zelda Tri Force Heroes just took two existing games and edited them in a way nobody asked for, Fire Emblem Fates is hardly the same series anymore with the amount of creepy things in that game. I couldn't even stomach Awakening enough to finish it. The worst part? They pulled a Pokemon'ed and decided for whatever reason to sell the game in two different versions.

It's hard being an Nintendo fan right now. At least my PC is helping me with this drought.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
I love the Wii U but even I agree it's pretty obvious after E3 2015 almost everyone realized Nintendo gave up on the Wii U and started working on a replacement. It hurts to say that but sometimes accepting the truth sooner rather than later is for the better.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
I bought this year Mario Party 10, which was pretty disappointing all things considering, Splatoon, which turned out to the best thing on this system, and Super Mario Maker which is really polished and a lot of fun. I plan on buying Yoshi's Wooly World and Xenoblade X by the year's end.

My Wii U library is tiny compared to my Wii and Gamecube library. I have like, 40+ games on the Gamecube, and at least 20+ (I'm too lazy to count) games I have on Wii, what 10+ games on Wii U? Granted, some of them are great but the tiny library is just awful and Mario Tennis and amiibo Festival (I don't care. It's less of an AC game than *** **** HHD) look like pure trash. Zelda, Star Fox, and Xenoblade are the only games coming out that I'll buy. I'll get to buying Yoshi in the next couple of weeks. It looks super cute and fun and I gotta support the first good Yoshi game since Yoshi's Island all the way back in the SNES.

The 3DS...is strange to say. Sometimes it had some amazing games like Animal Crossing New Leaf and Fantasy Life, and then it had some junk in the way too. But now? They're not even trying! HHD and Zelda Tri Force Heroes just took two existing games and edited them in a way nobody asked for, Fire Emblem Fates is hardly the same series anymore with the amount of creepy things in that game. I couldn't even stomach Awakening enough to finish it. The worst part? They pulled a Pokemon'ed and decided for whatever reason to sell the game in two different versions.

It's hard being an Nintendo fan right now. At least my PC is helping me with this drought.
Yoshi's Woolly World is great. It's the first Yoshi game in years that actually impressed me after a decade full of mediocre Yoshi games. Only other Wii U games I'm looking forward to next year are Pokken Tournament & Zelda U, but sadly, that's about it. Compared to Nintendo's previous consoles, there's just not a lot to offer on the Wii U unless you only like Nintendo games.

Yeah, I've played some of Tri Force Heroes last week & I was far from impressed with it. The single player is garbage and from what I've seen from the multiplayer mode, it's a nightmare. The fact you come across a lot of newbies on there who haven't played a Zelda game before keep messing up the most simple puzzles. There's also the lack of voice chat and they replaced it with a bunch of commands instead. It's just as bad as Splatoon, but at least with Splatoon, you usually have a bunch of competent people that know what to do even without the voice chat. It's a much bigger problem in Tri Force Heroes, though. Oh, and apparently the Link in the game's the same one from ALBW. They look nothing alike!

Speaking of Fire Emblem, what do you think of that upcoming SMT x FE game coming up next year? That game's filled with otaku bait.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not much of a Nintendo fan these days, but it is still hard waiting for another Wii U game to come out in several months. Thankfully I have a Steam account, so at least I can get my gaming fix on there instead.

To be honest, as cruel as it may sound, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo did eventually go third party in the near future.
Like what happened with Sega after the Dreamcast failed?

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/10/preview_hitting_the_courts_in_mario_tennis_ultra_smash

Well it's true looks like our speculation was correct. There are no mini games or different stadiums to play on. Just different courts and unlockable characters to buy using coins. The knockout mode unlocks star versions of characters at round 15 and you get to see the game's credits at round 30. The real praises they gave here is the presentation and gameplay.

P.S. This is what happens when you're Nintendo Direct thirsty! XD

You scour for information on any website just to hear some kind of news.

Update

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com...rio-tennis-ultra-smash-wii-u-hands-on-preview

Also there is no intro to this game as it just gives you a white blank screen with the title on it and no way to make private lobbies so you can play with friends.

Last edited:

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Yoshi's Woolly World is great. It's the first Yoshi game in years that actually impressed me after a decade full of mediocre Yoshi games. Only other Wii U games I'm looking forward to next year are Pokken Tournament & Zelda U, but sadly, that's about it. Compared to Nintendo's previous consoles, there's just not a lot to offer on the Wii U unless you only like Nintendo games.

Yeah, I've played some of Tri Force Heroes last week & I was far from impressed with it. The single player is garbage and from what I've seen from the multiplayer mode, it's a nightmare. The fact you come across a lot of newbies on there who haven't played a Zelda game before keep messing up the most simple puzzles. There's also the lack of voice chat and they replaced it with a bunch of commands instead. It's just as bad as Splatoon, but at least with Splatoon, you usually have a bunch of competent people that know what to do even without the voice chat. It's a much bigger problem in Tri Force Heroes, though. Oh, and apparently the Link in the game's the same one from ALBW. They look nothing alike!

Speaking of Fire Emblem, what do you think of that upcoming SMT x FE game coming up next year? That game's filled with otaku bait.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not much of a Nintendo fan these days, but it is still hard waiting for another Wii U game to come out in several months. Thankfully I have a Steam account, so at least I can get my gaming fix on there instead.
Yup, I've been hearing the music in Yoshi and it sounds so good. Not only that, from what gameplay I saw, it looks fantastic. Yoshi's had a bad run of games up until that point. I also love the overall aesthetic of it. The yarn helped Yoshi more than Kirby if you ask me.

I keep forgetting about Pokken. It looks great and it has two of my favorite Pokemon playable, Charizard and Gardevoir (My absolute favorite is Giratina, but it's too big). But we don't need a second Pikachu if you ask me.

And Zelda U has an amazing concept and looks mind blowing. Of course, Nintendo's not saying anything about it, as usual. I bet they're going to pull a Twilight Princess with it and release it on the Wii U and NX, making one less to own a Wii U.

Tri Force Heroes makes me laugh as a Zelda fan. Single Player is an afterthought and it shows. It's nearly impossible once you make progress later in the game. The multiplayer mode doesn't sound great. Splatoon is filled with randoms who can't do squat. But at least you only have to deal with them for only three minutes. Having a WHOLE DUNGEON with them!? No thank you. The story is just extremely stupid too and the Final Boss is extremely stupid for a Zelda game. Link is supposed to be ALBW Link? Hahahaha, that is sad. I refuse to believe it. There's no way, they're not even the same color!

As for Fire Emblem x PERSONA That looks like pure Otaku bait and I wouldn't want to show that to anyone. What a disturbing game, at least Edgelord Chrom looked kinda cool in that. But for my dignity, I won't be paying any money for that. That's one of those games that should stay in Japan if you ask me. Some of the costumes for the female characters are too much for me. How far Fire Emblem has fell from grace...

You're right, it sucks being a Nintendo gamer right now. There's not a whole lot to look forward too and we got robbed from a proper Wii U Animal Crossing game this generation just to sell more of those stupid toys. I love Animal Crossing and I play New Leaf everyday so yes, I'm salty about it.

Thank goodness for the PC. I love Steam and just bought a couple of new games on it. It's a perfect haven for new games at the moment. My computer is good enough to run most of them decently and mod support on some of them are a fun diversion.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
And Zelda U has an amazing concept and looks mind blowing. Of course, Nintendo's not saying anything about it, as usual. I bet they're going to pull a Twilight Princess with it and release it on the Wii U and NX, making one less to own a Wii U.

Tri Force Heroes makes me laugh as a Zelda fan. Single Player is an afterthought and it shows. It's nearly impossible once you make progress later in the game. The multiplayer mode doesn't sound great. Splatoon is filled with randoms who can't do squat. But at least you only have to deal with them for only three minutes. Having a WHOLE DUNGEON with them!? No thank you. The story is just extremely stupid too and the Final Boss is extremely stupid for a Zelda game. Link is supposed to be ALBW Link? Hahahaha, that is sad. I refuse to believe it. There's no way, they're not even the same color!

You're right, it sucks being a Nintendo gamer right now. There's not a whole lot to look forward too and we got robbed from a proper Wii U Animal Crossing game this generation just to sell more of those stupid toys. I love Animal Crossing and I play New Leaf everyday so yes, I'm salty about it.

Thank goodness for the PC. I love Steam and just bought a couple of new games on it. It's a perfect haven for new games at the moment. My computer is good enough to run most of them decently and mod support on some of them are a fun diversion.
I wouldn't be too surprised that they did pull a TP with Zelda U. If they did, then it'll hurt the Wii U more if people decide to go for a better version of the game.

They definitely added in single player at the last minute. I'm one of those people that got suckered in hoping at least the single player would be playable. From the looks of the multiplayer, it looks like it'll be an even bigger pain due to having people not knowing what they're supposed to do. Here's a video showing a good example of being stuck with these kinds of players:

I don't believe that TFH Link is the same one from ALBW. For one, they look nothing alike (why use the Toon Link design anyway?) and it's pretty obvious that he's a completely different person from ALBW Link. The only reason Nintendo did this was to advertise ALBW more. What a dumb marketing ploy.

Amiibo are awesome to me, but if the Animal Crossing party game means anything, there may be more games with Amiibo support in the future and I hope it isn't the case. And I remember feeling disappointed when they posted up the trailer for Amiibo Festival on YouTube during E3. They couldn't bother making a proper Animal Crossing game? For shame.

Agreed. I can't wait for the next Steam sale. <3

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I wouldn't be too surprised that they did pull a TP with Zelda U. If they did, then it'll hurt the Wii U more if people decide to go for a better version of the game.

They definitely added in single player at the last minute. I'm one of those people that got suckered in hoping at least the single player would be playable. From the looks of the multiplayer, it looks like it'll be an even bigger pain due to having people not knowing what they're supposed to do. Here's a video showing a good example of being stuck with these kinds of players:

I don't believe that TFH Link is the same one from ALBW. For one, they look nothing alike (why use the Toon Link design anyway?) and it's pretty obvious that he's a completely different person from ALBW Link. The only reason Nintendo did this was to advertise ALBW more. What a dumb marketing ploy.

Amiibo are awesome to me, but if the Animal Crossing party game means anything, there may be more games with Amiibo support in the future and I hope it isn't the case. And I remember feeling disappointed when they posted up the trailer for Amiibo Festival on YouTube during E3. They couldn't bother making a proper Animal Crossing game? For shame.

Agreed. I can't wait for the next Steam sale. <3
I'm won't be just surprised with Zelda U, I EXPECT IT. They need a killer app to kick start the NX and if they release it with more bells and whistles, they draw more people to the new system. I'll probably buy it, but Nintendo is going to need to step up their game after the Wii U or this may be the last Nintendo console I'll buy. They also need to build their bridges with third parties this time around. Having just Nintendo isn't going to cut it next generation. It didn't work with the Wii U and it won't work here.

My word, "ben" has to be a child. NomComms and Salome were telling him what to do and he acted like a complete fool for 4 minutes, the worst part is that he's the one with the bow so the other two were stuck, on top of the damage taken for the whole team for no reason. If multiplayer is like that for the whole game, it looks like a game that make Splatoon's randoms seem like college professors in comparison. Not buying that mess after that. Then again, I wasn't going to anyway so thank you for the confirmation.

Single Player is more tacked on than Splatoon's and that's saying something. Really, no AI Partners? Have them follow you and command them to get their own intelligence at certain parts of the dungeon doesn't seem that hard to do, but Ninty took the easy way out with creepy dolls. Really sad that we got this, and that's coming from someone who grew up with Zelda.

Of course he's not the same Link. He has a different color scheme and he's not even in the same art style. Nintendo just said he is because they know their fans care about the continuity too much for their own good. I'm going to say a game with a premise and a final boss like this one is on the "spin-off" territory regardless of what garbage NOA is spewing out.

When you actually have the amiibo next to you, they look wonderful. And they should have used the amiibo board game concept and just let you use all of them. Which you could use the amiibo's you already bought but you get another awesome bonus for buying and owning one. Instead, they decided to just make it an Animal Crossing game that requires all new figures and we lost the Wii U Animal Crossing game in the process. My hype turned into rage in the E3 Direct when I saw that after all of that, it was a amiibo based throw away Board Game that made Mario Party 10 look like a AAA game in comparison.

Steam sales makes games so cheap it almost seems like I'm stealing them at times. Having a gaming computer more than paid for itself after all the money I saved buying those games that were on sale. I just bought a $70 value package for $17 recently. Steam is awesome and I'm with you there, I can't wait for next big sale!

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
Little fun fact. Splatoon was actually developed by Nintendo EAD Group 2 who is the same team who developed the Animal Crossing games and Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer so I'm starting to see why there was no Animal Crossing Wii U this E3 because there just wasn't the time to make one while they're making Splatoon. Although to be fair ND Cube who is the developer behind Animal Crossing amiibo Festival could have made the board game mode more engaging by having actual mini games between turns instead of the entire mode being a snooze fest.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
I'm won't be just surprised with Zelda U, I EXPECT IT. They need a killer app to kick start the NX and if they release it with more bells and whistles, they draw more people to the new system. I'll probably buy it, but Nintendo is going to need to step up their game after the Wii U or this may be the last Nintendo console I'll buy. They also need to build their bridges with third parties this time around. Having just Nintendo isn't going to cut it next generation. It didn't work with the Wii U and it won't work here.

My word, "ben" has to be a child. NomComms and Salome were telling him what to do and he acted like a complete fool for 4 minutes, the worst part is that he's the one with the bow so the other two were stuck, on top of the damage taken for the whole team for no reason. If multiplayer is like that for the whole game, it looks like a game that make Splatoon's randoms seem like college professors in comparison. Not buying that mess after that. Then again, I wasn't going to anyway so thank you for the confirmation.

Single Player is more tacked on than Splatoon's and that's saying something. Really, no AI Partners? Have them follow you and command them to get their own intelligence at certain parts of the dungeon doesn't seem that hard to do, but Ninty took the easy way out with creepy dolls. Really sad that we got this, and that's coming from someone who grew up with Zelda.

Of course he's not the same Link. He has a different color scheme and he's not even in the same art style. Nintendo just said he is because they know their fans care about the continuity too much for their own good. I'm going to say a game with a premise and a final boss like this one is on the "spin-off" territory regardless of what garbage NOA is spewing out.

When you actually have the amiibo next to you, they look wonderful. And they should have used the amiibo board game concept and just let you use all of them. Which you could use the amiibo's you already bought but you get another awesome bonus for buying and owning one. Instead, they decided to just make it an Animal Crossing game that requires all new figures and we lost the Wii U Animal Crossing game in the process. My hype turned into rage in the E3 Direct when I saw that after all of that, it was a amiibo based throw away Board Game that made Mario Party 10 look like a AAA game in comparison.
They have to get third party support in order to make the NX look like something that's worth buying. If they don't, I hate to say this, but they'll end up like Sega back in the 90's. Remember how poor the Saturn's library was? It's actually pretty scary that the Wii U is in the same situation as the Saturn since they both had poor third party support along with a terrible lineup of first party games (Nintendo's first party titles are a bit better than Sega's, though).

Trust me, I hear there are more people like that ben dude that are even worse than him hence why I'm afraid of touching the multiplayer. And yeah, there is no AI for the dolls. The single player's actually pretty tough since you do all of the work yourself and switch between the Links all the time. I honestly don't think the game's worth the $40. I rather buy either Yokai Watch or Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon this month since those games look leagues better than this. Unless you are still curious in buying this, just wait and get it used. That way you don't have to pay full price for TFH.

TFH does feel more like a spin-off to me than a main series title. At least with the Four Swords games, they actually have connections to other Zelda games and they feel more fitting in the timeline. TFH has no excuse. You're just some random kid in pajamas that finds a want ad.

Hopefully we are getting another main AC game for the NX. I do not want to see the series turn into a terrible board game that acquires figurines.

Little fun fact. Splatoon was actually developed by Nintendo EAD Group 2 who is the same team who developed the Animal Crossing games and Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer so I'm starting to see why there was no Animal Crossing Wii U this E3 because there just wasn't the time to make one while they're making Splatoon. Although to be fair ND Cube who is the developer behind Animal Crossing amiibo Festival could have made the board game mode more engaging by having actual mini games between turns instead of the entire mode being a snooze fest.
So that explains why we got Amiibo Festival then. You'd think they develop both games at the same time, but I guess it's not the case here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom