• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I'm just not a fan of Splattershot Pro

Cerebralbore101

Inkster Jr.
The actual weapon itself isn't that bad. It has good range, and only needs three hits to kill. But everything else about the weapon is really weak. The point sensor sub takes 3/4th of your ink tank to use. This means after you throw it you only have a few seconds of firepower left until you have to refill. Not having a grenade to toss out as part of your kit is really limiting. Inkstorm is probably the worst special in the game besides stingray. There are lots of weapons with a little less range and a much better kit overall. It's pretty easy so close the gap in this game and that makes extra range not a very good thing.

I'd rather use the L3 Nozzlenose since it has almost as much range, is more likely to hit with the 3 round burst shots, inks the ground faster, and has a special that is basically a panic button for anybody getting in your face. It also has real grenades to boot.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I'm pretty sure sensor doesn't drain that much ink, though. while i do think it drains more than it did in Splatoon 1, it's not near bomb-levels.

Personally i'm fine with Inkstorm, it's neither very strong nor very weak. The fact that you drop it and then keep using your own original weapon in combination with it already makes it way better than stingray.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Point Sensor takes up 60% of your ink tank exactly, without Ink Saver (Sub), 50% more than it did in Splatoon 1, but it also leaves that aura for a second that will mark enemies that move into it after the fact. I find it to be hugely useful on a long-range weapon like this one, letting you get a substantial tactical advantage that you share with your team. And Ink Storm plays along with that, too, slowing down your enemies and softening them up. You can't be super-aggressive, with the high ink cost, but it's a great weapon for team players.

The Forge Pro should be more your speed, though. Suction Bombs and Bubble Blower are a highly aggressive kit.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
The kit I found to be extremely helpful in Splatzones, where the Pro is one of my mains. The ink storm is great at keeping the enemy team at bay or getting them out of the zone as my team can move in to pursue them. And the point sensor I find to be really handy for not only getting the enemy's location, but also scaring them out of an area by tossing one, as many players have a strong fear of being located. I love having offensive subs myself, but the Pro as a main is handy enough to cover for the lack of one to me.

What I love the most about the Pro is that it allows me to play support until the enemies start to make a push, then I can shift into an offensive mode and usually out range most threats. I really like the L3 Nozzlenose in this game since you mentioned it, but I find its kit to be very underwhelming and situational. Curling bombs being limited to the ground bothers me, and the baller while great in some situations, won't really help much in many others.

Cerebralbore101

Inkster Jr.
Point Sensor takes up 60% of your ink tank exactly, without Ink Saver (Sub), 50% more than it did in Splatoon 1, but it also leaves that aura for a second that will mark enemies that move into it after the fact. I find it to be hugely useful on a long-range weapon like this one, letting you get a substantial tactical advantage that you share with your team. And Ink Storm plays along with that, too, slowing down your enemies and softening them up. You can't be super-aggressive, with the high ink cost, but it's a great weapon for team players.

The Forge Pro should be more your speed, though. Suction Bombs and Bubble Blower are a highly aggressive kit.
When is the Forge Pro out? I think there are a lot of players that can do well with the Splattershot Pro. Just not me.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
When is the Forge Pro out? I think there are a lot of players that can do well with the Splattershot Pro. Just not me.
I'm betting it'll be fairly soon, in a batch with one or two other weapon variants that come with the Bubble Blower, probably within the next 2-3 weeks, but that's speculation on my part.

RainbowOni

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6643-4364-0032
The splattershot pro is one of my main weapons in both splatoon and splatoon 2. I've just learn how to use the point sensors when i can afford the extra time to refill my weapon. In competitive play It's a real beast. You'll slowly adapt at any weapon you use and the gear abilities you have combine with it.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
I think the Pro is okay. Point Sensors are decent and the Inkstorm is a pretty good support special, but I'm probably going to use the Forge Pro as I prefer both it's colour scheme and it's kit over the vanilla (unless the Bubble Blower is somehow worse than the Stingray).

RainbowOni

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6643-4364-0032
With the pro splattershot it's easier to take more of a support role. Take full advantage of your range and throw a point sensor every-now and than to keep your accuracy onto the target, even if they swim behind you or just hide behind objects. Using the sub and special to help yourself ends up helping your team as well. I'm sure the forge will take a more offensive path.

NNID
benimarucollider
The new splattershot pro is definitively different. Back then I used to be able to get really aggro using the bombs and all, in splatoon 2 now I used it best when you hide and fish for players that goes past you. Still hard to pull against smart players, which the sensor comes useful to keep them in check. imo though it pretty much became a really niche support that works depending on how good your team is. If your team does not do the stuff it should be doing weapon wise, you are very limited in your options and generally can't contribute to bring back the pace.
An example of this would be turf. If your teammates are not efficient at turfing to give yourselves proper spacing, you won't do any better. You can try, but you'll struggle a lot, and that's what you shouldn't be doing as a support.

inkcan

Semi-Pro Squid
Weapon designation is more prevalent in this game than its predecessor due to the more compacted maps that introduce more dynamic vertical progression as opposed to long hallways and bridges.

With all the depth of verticality in this game, ranged weapons have a greater advantage. The Splattershot Pro fits any 3rd or 4th slot on a team for tower and splat zones very well. It isn't a ranged killing weapon, but it can splat in 3 hits. It isn't necessarily an inking weapon, but it certainly spreads well enough. What this weapon does very, very well, is control choke points and mitigate enemy countermeasures by using it's kit to funnel the enemy into kill zones and provide loftier control over when and how firefights break out for the team this weapon is on. All from a very safe distance, backed up by a 3 shot kill.

This weapon isn't itself a star, but shines brightest as a support unit on a tactful team.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I've found a lot of success using thermal ink with longer range weapons. I wonder if it's almost better to equip that for the splat pro than to overuse the point sensors. I could even see point sensors being extra deadly in situational use when combined with thermal ink. Just spitballing ideas, though. I didn't take to the pro myself.

Also, similar(ish) weapons with better kits that might interest you: 96 and jet squelch. They're not exactly the same, and you certainly give up different things with them as well, but they're powerful and have amazing specials (even if you'll probably find their secondaries lacking).

Last edited:

inkcan

Semi-Pro Squid
I've found a lot of success using thermal ink with longer range weapons. I wonder if it's almost better to equip that for the splat pro than to overuse the point sensors. I could even see point sensors being extra deadly in situational use when combined with thermal ink. Just spitballing ideas, though. I didn't take to the pro myself.

Also, similar(ish) weapons with better kits that might interest you: 96 and jet squelch. They're not exactly the same, and you certainly give up different things with them as well, but they're powerful and have amazing specials (even if you'll probably find their secondaries lacking).
I haven't unlocked the 96 yet, working on it. However, I can attest that the Jet Squelcher is a fine weapon that works similarly to the Pro, but is genuinely more offense oriented. It can play both sides of the field well, but when it comes to advancing a push, I'd take the Jet over the Pro.

I really wanna see a Pro use thermal ink, swim speed and object shredder for the ultimate defense! What a great idea!

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I haven't unlocked the 96 yet, working on it. However, I can attest that the Jet Squelcher is a fine weapon that works similarly to the Pro, but is genuinely more offense oriented. It can play both sides of the field well, but when it comes to advancing a push, I'd take the Jet over the Pro.

I really wanna see a Pro use thermal ink, swim speed and object shredder for the ultimate defense! What a great idea!
When the rapid blaster pro jobs, I can't wait to use thermal ink. Kind of the perfect way to splat people from behind cover.

NNID
benimarucollider
Question here, does splatnet2 offer gear where main abilities can have those special abilities?
Cuz I'd kill for a Varsity Jacket with Thermal Ink.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Question here, does splatnet2 offer gear where main abilities can have those special abilities?
Cuz I'd kill for a Varsity Jacket with Thermal Ink.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but here's how I believe SplatNet works:

1. You have gear in the regular store (actually in the game), and it has a set main ability, and it has its brand. Those things never change within the main store.
2. SplatNet takes that gear, keeps the brand (and thus the common/uncommon abilities) and cycles the gear through all the other variations it's allowed to have.
3. So it stands to reason that, because thermal ink is tied to CLOTHES (jackets, shirts, etc), a thermal ink varsity jacket would appear on there eventually. You just have to wait long enough.

Reactions: the

FGPackers

Inkster Jr.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but here's how I believe SplatNet works:

1. You have gear in the regular store (actually in the game), and it has a set main ability, and it has its brand. Those things never change within the main store.
2. SplatNet takes that gear, keeps the brand (and thus the common/uncommon abilities) and cycles the gear through all the other variations it's allowed to have.
3. So it stands to reason that, because thermal ink is tied to CLOTHES (jackets, shirts, etc), a thermal ink varsity jacket would appear on there eventually. You just have to wait long enough.
All correct

NNID
benimarucollider
Cool, now another question.

Say that you do not have the splatnet2 app, and therefore cannot order gears with different main abilities.
Is it possible then to order a gear from splatnet2 by another player through Murch?
And will it keep the main ability initially ordered or will be rendered back to default in-game main ability?

FGPackers

Inkster Jr.
Cool, now another question.

Say that you do not have the splatnet2 app, and therefore cannot order gears with different main abilities.
Is it possible then to order a gear from splatnet2 by another player through Murch?
And will it keep the main ability initially ordered or will be rendered back to default in-game main ability?
I think this should be possible, but i'm not sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom