• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I'm really bummed they went with this design for their winning pick for the Famitsu Fashion Contest.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
a seaweed ghillie suit is cool and all, but the cowboy and jellyfish are awesome. wish we got those too. i miss the squid girl and sushi chef gear. :(

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
The winner is pretty awful, all right. The cowpoke was probably too detailed, the translucent jellyfish would create problems, and I bet the shooting range target would clip like mad. The amiibo ones are great, but it's looking like the amiibo honeymoon is winding down.

I also really like the traffic safety wall art. Perfect use of "bad" art. And the surfer one is gorgeous.

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
What I'm frustrated by is the fact that the whole idea behind the winner - an Army asthetic - can already be created in-game quite easily.
Why they didn't pick an option that was more unique is beyond me.

(That being said, if these were the main considerations then I wouldn't be huge on any of them tbh.)

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Hurray, now my squid can cosplay as this particular Japanese monster:

And now shall painfully remind me of it too, ugh. The cowboy gears seems the best for me, would of went well with a dualie set if you ask me. Also, when is Nintendo going to have a clothing design contest for Splatoon over here? The game is popular enough by now to receive a different country contest than just doing Japan all the time.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Oh wow, i'd absolutely would've loved to have the Jellyfish one, that one's gorgeous! Really all of the runner-ups seem better than the winner, if you ask me.

But nah, now you can wear a pile of leaves on your head. A pile of frickin' stinky seaweed, that's like the opposite of fresh!

the

Inkling Commander
I saw a couple of pirate coat ones that were rly cool. Nintendo you cowards let my squid become the terror of the high seas

R

RandomSquid

What is it even supposed to be? Honestly all the awesome submissions and you pick the most boring and mundane one as the winner (not to mention the lackluster artwork in comparison to the others) Even the sushi one, which wasn't my top pick, was kinda cool looking. But this... I don't even know how. My main thing with an outfit is that it should be wearable with other gear, not just it's costime pieces. But honeatly this is so disappointing. I loved the jellyfish one.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ha, they sure chose the worst one. I guess it fits the theme of Splatoon, though.

At least the graffiti they chose is cool. Also a bit gruesome...

the

Inkling Commander
Yknow, I think it's kinda growing on me. I like the fishnet poncho design, at least. The army helmet still isn't doing it for me, but the clothing is pretty cool imo.

Is this actually going to be added to the game, then? If so, hopefully they don't make the same mistake they did with the ninja gear and actually give this stealth gear ninja squid :p

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Was talking to a few friends about this earlier. The squids and water do not get along. Seaweed 'camo' basically..

"Hey look at that pile of seaweed laying over there on the main stage... Nothing fishy about that."

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Kelp camo suit winner

Well hey! That's pretty coo-

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Hey now, nothin' wrong with a ghillie outfit, even if the art doesn't do it justice.

Count me in as one who'd like non-Splatoon amiibo costumes, though. Not a whole lot, maybe just the main ones and a few bonuses. Would it lead to cries of P2W, probably, but I'm sure they'd be worth it.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
OH MY GOD the runnerups are great but the winner is absolutely genius.

Ghillie Suit

1) Wakamet (wakame is a kind of leafy seaweed)
2) Ghillie Suit Wakame
3) Konboots (konbu is a much thicker kelp)

additional:
-cheeks get squid-style black paint
-shoe soles and helmets have ammonites logo
-shoe tongues are konbu (idk how visible this will be)
-seaweed & barnacle helmet flair
-mantle of "frog-netting"

with the darker, muted tones it's a lot more subtle than the other designs, but it does a fantastic job of combining style/fashion with battlefield gear and game relevance (the sea puns are totally nautical)

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
I’d kill to have the jellyfish ones...

The target design probably would have caused issues, partly because it would obscure the inkling’s hurtbox too much, and partly because inklings use their heads to look up and down, which the suit wouldn’t be able to do without clipping.

The cowboy design is cool, but it’s a little too complex for Splatoon imo.

I don’t really like the winning design, but it is kinda cool how much thought went into the details. I honestly wouldn’t be mad, except that the jellyfish design is just so good that I want it now...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom