I'm worried about this game's future.

Are you also worried?

• No, I don't care about possible future installments.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I am worried.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • No, but I think this game will do fine.

Votes: 52 96.3%

• Total voters

MegaBaconzard

Inkling
NNID
MegaBaconzard
I love splatoon. It's the most online fun I've had in a while! It seems that many people are going to boycot this game for lacking voice chat, based on what I've seen on many social media platforms. I love splatoon so much already, and I'd hate for nintendo to discontinue this new ip in the future due to a lack of supporters.

Geistbox

Full Squid
Leveling criticism against Splatoon is out of hoping to make the game better because just about everyone who's seen it and/or played it knows that Nintendo is onto something big here. The people who boycott the game over voice chat are, more than likely, going to be in the minority. Plenty of people who have criticized Nintendo's decisions have still expressed interest in the game. There's a general difference between being disappointed with the game's decisions and being completely turned off on it.

But really, Splatoon ought to perform fine. The marketing has been immense, the reception has been overall positive and in terms of support there's not a lot elsewhere to go but up. Nintendo probably estimated the performances fairly when the game originally went into production based on the fact that it is a new IP (one that was originally a lot more low-key) on the Wii U of all consoles. 500k worldwide should be easy to meet and it should be enough to encourage Nintendo to give it another shot in the future on more lucrative hardware.

And in terms of VC it's definitely not too late for Nintendo to add it into friend lobbies which is the only way Nintendo can have it's cake and eat it.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
The response to the actual gameplay has been nothing but positive, and Nintendo has started going all out on marketing the game. The number of people who stormed out over voice chat will be vastly outnumbered by those who were interested because they saw an advert.

Don't worry yourself, Splatoon will be a success. I don't know how much of a success, but it certainly won't flop.

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
Leveling criticism against Splatoon is out of hoping to make the game better because just about everyone who's seen it and/or played it knows that Nintendo is onto something big here. The people who boycott the game over voice chat are, more than likely, going to be in the minority. Plenty of people who have criticized Nintendo's decisions have still expressed interest in the game. There's a general difference between being disappointed with the game's decisions and being completely turned off on it.

But really, Splatoon ought to perform fine. The marketing has been immense, the reception has been overall positive and in terms of support there's not a lot elsewhere to go but up. Nintendo probably estimated the performances fairly when the game originally went into production based on the fact that it is a new IP (one that was originally a lot more low-key) on the Wii U of all consoles. 500k worldwide should be easy to meet and it should be enough to encourage Nintendo to give it another shot in the future on more lucrative hardware.

And in terms of VC it's definitely not too late for Nintendo to add it into friend lobbies which is the only way Nintendo can have it's cake and eat it.
Splatoon also fills a void left by Nintendo, where they are (at least this year) showing a lot of support for new IP's and third party games. The unique style and gameplay very much help it as well.

Here's to many hours tagging the world, and many splats along the way.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
As much as people wanna brush of voice chat complaints and the games issues it all falls on nintendo. It would very easy to give those consumers who want the option friend or party only voice chat. Everyone wins some people really like talking and playing friends it makes games more enjoyable builds a real sense of community. Even if you ignore the voice chat problem. You can't play with friends in a party until august and the map selection is only 5 maps and a locked game mode until a certain number of players. I still think the game will do fine due to not much being released on the console and it is still fun alot of positive feedback so far.

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
Anybody who would boycott a game because of lack of voice chat doesn't deserve something this beautiful anyway.

Besides, I think it's silly to worry about a game's future before it is even released. We'll just have to wait to see the sales numbers. I'm not worried though.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Keep in mind you're hearing the people that are yelling the loudest, too. I don't know, it just seems like a minor thing to not play an entire game for. I'd even go on to say that they were already likely not to support Splatoon in the first place.

also I've seen it more as a joke than a serious complaint.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Minorities always scream the loudest because they know that no one would care about them otherwise. The majority is content to not say anything because they know most people think, like they do, that not picking up splatoon because it lacks VC is braindead. It is a valid critique, but if you don't pick up a game because it only has one problem then you might as well not pick up any game.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
Keep in mind you're hearing the people that are yelling the loudest, too. I don't know, it just seems like a minor thing to not play an entire game for. I'd even go on to say that they were already likely not to support Splatoon in the first place.

also I've seen it more as a joke than a serious complaint.
You kidding me? A joke? When I heard Splatoon wasn't going to have voice chat, I not only vowed never to buy the game, but to destroy any review copy of the game, and I'm currently collaborating with the Illuminati to raid Nintendo's headquarters in all three countries and sabotage the development of the game.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
I know people who aren't nintendo games that want the game but dislike the lack of communication alot of people outside the nintendo bubble don't settle for less. They aren't braindead i never hate on consumers for their choices. Every sale counts on the WiiU the platform is struggling as it is the more people the better. I would give them a option so they have no reason not to buy it.

Jacob777

Full Squid
NNID
Jacob_Games777
I really don't mind the lack of voice chat since people can just use Skype, easy to sign up for and it's free. I can personally see demand for the game going higher in August too.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
Nintendo plans to add updates and (probably) DLC in the future. The game wont get stale to say the least, i personally think its going to last a while

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
I know people who aren't nintendo games that want the game but dislike the lack of communication alot of people outside the nintendo bubble don't settle for less. They aren't braindead i never hate on consumers for their choices. Every sale counts on the WiiU the platform is struggling as it is the more people the better. I would give them a option so they have no reason not to buy it.
I will call consumers stupid if they don't buy a game for stupid reasons, I believe that would be the definition. Nintendo didn't give real VC for smash or kart, so I don't see why they would with Splatoon. They try to make most of their games family friendly so it's unrealistic to expect them to have in game VC outside of the loading screen. It would be cool if they did, but I don't see them implimenting it. Just because they can impliment something does not mean they will. They will not impliment VC just to sell two more copies of the game.

Most of the people hating on it now because of the lack of VC will probably end up buying the game eventually, so yes I do think it is stupid to claim you won't buy the game because it doesn't have VC.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
I will call consumers stupid if they don't buy a game for stupid reasons, I believe that would be the definition. Nintendo didn't give real VC for smash or kart, so I don't see why they would with Splatoon. They try to make most of their games family friendly so it's unrealistic to expect them to have in game VC outside of the loading screen. It would be cool if they did, but I don't see them implimenting it. Just because they can impliment something does not mean they will. They will not impliment VC just to sell two more copies of the game.

Most of the people hating on it now because of the lack of VC will probably end up buying the game eventually, so yes I do think it is stupid to claim you won't buy the game because it doesn't have VC.
I still feel like they could have done what they did with Animal Crossings New Leaf's online chatting feature where you would have to agree to some "Child safety article" then give the person full online chatting activity. In ACNL, you could only type real time messages to other players, but it was much better then nothing.

Not to mention how in Pokemon OR/AS, and X/Y, if you did enough trades with an acquaintance, they would be automatically added and you could have full voice chats with that player.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Let's not drag up the entire voice chat debate again, shall we? I'm pretty sure we already have three threads dedicated to that one.

Let's instead stick with discussing the potential longevity of the franchise.

Deru

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Derick
You can't play with friends in a party until august and the map selection is only 5 maps and a locked game mode until a certain number of players.
Speaking on this, I'm still a bit confused. I know that private/custom lobbies with friends aren't available from the start, but won't we still be able to join our friends in Turf War (and Ranked, eventually) games even if we do get shuffled every round?

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Speaking on this, I'm still a bit confused. I know that private/custom lobbies with friends aren't available from the start, but won't we still be able to join our friends in Turf War (and Ranked, eventually) games even if we do get shuffled every round?
Pretty much, yeah. So while we won't have any l33t team tournaments for the first few months, we can, in fact, enjoy games with friends online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom