Ink Brush: Analysis and Thoughts thread

Indy Wolfy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CheveyoWolf
I love the movement speed to dodge well anything (I feel like Sonic the hedgehog), but combat wise I feel like I just giving people a slap on the face and than I run like a school girl (even the motions look hilarious :D)

Deku

Senior Squid
NNID
Rolandd
First couple of time I played as it, I was horrible. I had to completely switch my play style and my clothes (ink savor, cold blooded, special fill up). I would go behind enemy lines, throw a sprinkler, then recharge. If someone come to destroy the sprinkler, I sneak up behind them.

My favorite part is being able to go fast through enemy ink. It catches so many people by surprise.

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
This was going to be my favorite weapon ever since it was announced. Now that it's out, I LOVE it.
The insane speed on it can lead you to interesting mindgames on your opponents, brush swipes cover so much turf, the sub and special are great, and the general idea on it right now is that it's awful. Which I like since nobody will expect me to be good with it, but I've won almost every turf war I've been in with it. One tip I will say is that if you need to get away, painting the ground is faster than swimming, so only swim if you're out of ink. (If you're ever out of ink and an en enemy is even SOMEWHAT near you, you're dead.)

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Just played a ranked match where we had an inkbrush on our team. The speed they get you to the zone is astounding, they're perfectly viable in ranked.

ryuudrawsstuff

Inkling
NNID
ShinyDedenneFTW
Here's my thoughts so far! Copy and pasted from another thread I posted it in..
---
I love this weapon a lot!! it matches my play style very well, although if it doesn't remotely match yours this weapon will be extremely tough to use..

It's obviously extremely fast, a great sub and special combination for it, the shake covers a nice amount of ground, especially if you're on a higher floor.
I'm not sure how I feel about it in splat zones yet, in turf war I can see if being great but, if you have more than 1 inkbrush on the team it can be very tough..
Although it's not as bad as a lot of people I've heard talk about it, it still seems to cover less turf than a lot of the weapons, combat highly depends on your situation and match up, so the defense can be kinda weak as well, but having a well balanced team with the inkbrush is great! I think it'll be MUCH better once you can make private groups..

On to play style, if you try to play this as a normal roller you'll probably have a bad time?? It feels very different even though it looks similar, as I said earlier it has great speed, using that speed you can place sprinklers fast, I think sprinklers are great as a sub for it because not only can you use it to cover more turf but it can work as a great distraction, recently I've had matches in Port Mackerel, and I'd place a sprinkler on one side, and when they go to shoot it I use the speed of this thing to get behind or to the side of them and swipe as fast as I can, although it's power is kinda weak, if you catch the opponent early and have enough ink you can kill them very fast! I also noticed no problem dealing with rollers..

I've seen a lot of ink brushes online not using the speed of this thing as an advantage, it can help you escape or even ambush/assassinate so well, I've found no issue usually getting in and out often and finding chances to place my subs and use my special (ink strike is great btw)..
The inkbrush does have a nice amount of horizontal range btw, getting a double or triple kill isn't too hard to imagine with it and is so satisfying..

Gear wise..I need to test it more but for turf war I've had a lot of fun with gear that increases ink capacity or makes it refill faster, that combo'd with the quick swipes can really make it deceivingly cover a lot of turf, although if you wanna focus on kills power gear might help, some defense can probably help nicely regardless of your main objective too.

I haven't played it enough to judge what stages it's best on but from what I can think of right now, at Port Mackerel it seems to be very nice at killing as well as running away, the thin hallways and turns make it easy to place sprinklers as a distraction, get to an opponents blindside, or just run away from the enemy, now in the Saltspray rig as I mentioned before getting a high ground can really help cover a lot of turf, although overall I'm not sure how it does there?
But ya that's my personal experience with this weapon so far, it'll take practice to use and you'll have to really connect with it's style as it feels very different to the other weapons, nothings concrete as it like just came out of course but thought I'd share here what I think so far!! Thanks for reading my ramble. :]
---

Last edited:

ryuudrawsstuff

Inkling
NNID
ShinyDedenneFTW
Update: Trying inkbrush on ranked right now and oh my, it's doing so well, the inkbrush by itself with its speed and horizontal coverage is amazing, that with sprinklers and ink strike? This weapon is so awesome in splat zones..

Mrwhatzitooya

Pro Squid
The inkbrush is like no other roller in the game! It's crazy speed can get you into battle very quickly, but to really ink the ground you can't use it by holding ZR as well as with a standard roller. I've found that pressing ZR rapidly to "paint" the area incredibly useful, and not bad at dispatching opponents too!

bluecrow

Senior Squid
I noticed something rather odd and note worthy about the spread of this weapon
technically all weapons have spread,
but rollers release ink randomly with in a set area, how the ink travels in that area is random so it can be bunched up or spread out, so I just call it spread
When you swing this weapon it has a swing "chain" of swinging left, swinging to the right then repeat. When you swing left your ink is generally going to landing front to the left of your inkling, when you swing right it will land in front or to the right. not always 100% the case with the spread, but gives you a general idea of what is going to happen

Last edited:

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I'm in love with the Ink Brush. Gets you around pretty quickly as well as having decent coverage with swings. My favorite thing to do is play happy slaps with people. It's crazy how fast it can take people out (granted you do have to get close to them which against Aerosprays will be a problem =/),

Smashington

Senior Squid
Worst weapon in the game hands down
  • Lowest kill potential of all weapons, even lower than chargers at close range
  • Ground covered in areas that aren't narrow halls is abysmal and outclassed by just about all fully auto weapons, at best sub-optimal for covering large areas like, I don't know, a splat zone
  • Zero defensive/support options besides try to flee. No bubbler shields, no portable walls, and you can't punish anyone for approaching you or for trying to take your turf. The closest thing is your sprinkler which can buy you time to get away if between you and your opponent. Yay, team!
  • Inkstrike is the only positive the Inkbrush has going for it, but it's not like plenty of other useful weapons have it, right?
Despite some of the posts I'm reading, there is no justifying this weapon's use. Unless you genuinely don't care about how bad you or your team does and only care about aesthetics, use a better weapon. Seriously.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Worst weapon in the game hands down
  • Lowest kill potential of all weapons, even lower than chargers at close range
  • Ground covered in areas that aren't narrow halls is abysmal and outclassed by just about all fully auto weapons, at best sub-optimal for covering large areas like, I don't know, a splat zone
  • Zero defensive/support options besides try to flee. No bubbler shields, no portable walls, and you can't punish anyone for approaching you or for trying to take your turf. The closest thing is your sprinkler which can buy you time to get away if between you and your opponent. Yay, team!
  • Inkstrike is the only positive the Inkbrush has going for it, but it's not like plenty of other useful weapons have it, right?
Despite some of the posts I'm reading, there is no justifying this weapon's use. Unless you genuinely don't care about how bad you or your team does and only care about aesthetics, use a better weapon. Seriously.
Yeah, it's not great, and I can't really use it well, but I don't think it's the worst. That's probably one of the Rapid Blasters (I get that it's supposed to be faster to justify being weaker, but it's just not faster enough, at least for me). Probably the Deco, since at least the normal Rapid Blaster has Bubbler to keep you alive and inking a bit longer.
Strictly as a weapon, yeah, this thing is awful (WHY IS THIS THING SO WEAK), but it creates a line directly to wherever you're going (like toward a Splat Zone or chokepoint or other important thing) really quickly, so teammates can follow you (although Seekers can do this too, with significantly less risk to oneself and greater splat-ability, but the Inkbrush can turn better and doesn't have a maximum distance (though you will need to recharge it after a while), and I think the brush goes faster than a Seeker too), and the Sprinkler is a good way to claim an area and then go do something else (would be better if it didn't cost so much ink; seriously, I think even Splat Bombs don't cost that much), and you can just claim areas with Inkstrike, so I don't think it's completely useless, just rather difficult (though like you said, plenty of other weapons have that (like my personal favorite, the .52 Gal Deco), and I think something like Bubbler or Inkzooka would have been a better fit for the brush) and more of a support or utility role than anything.
I agree with you about Bubbler though, this thing would be SO much better with that (but wouldn't other Rollers be too? Especially Dynamos with their slow swing?). Here's hoping for an Inkbrush Deco with a more combat-capable loadout (and for a future roller weapon to have Bubbler).

Nintendome

Inkredible YouTuber
NNID
LogicallyHank
I think it's a really great weapon. I've also been having great results with it (it's an album). Basically, you should only be using it as a roller when you need to sprint. Also, please keep in mind that you should be avoiding one v. one confrontations unless you are sneaking up on someone. If another player confronts you, you should run away.

Your best coverage option is spamming the ZR button on the ground (swiping) to quickly charge up your Ink Strike.

This video does a pretty good job at explaining how this weapon should work.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
As a weapon inkbrush is the absolute worst out of all of them, the slpashing is a 3-4hko which is terrible compared to the other rollers and if you try to run someone over with it, ha good luck, that **** is a 6hko no matter what compared to the rollers that ohko anything in their path. As an objective control weapon its alright, you're faster so you can just run circles over everyone but you don't lay down a lot of ink so either you have to run around or someone has to follow you to get the stuff you miss. Given both sides of the coin, inkbrush is an ok choice. Not the absolute best and not the absolute worst either.

Cthulhu

Inkster Jr.
I love it. Have like 50k turf covered so far, and my splatzones rank is going up faster than ever. It's a good weapon, you just need to change your mindset and you can get 900+ (before bonus) every game in turf war, and a lot of kills if you are sneaky. Use the running trail exclusively for rushing and getting away from people, and the swipes for killing and inking huge areas. I'd say it's almost as good as the aerospray in turf war, in my opinion.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
It seems to fit a very niche role, but what is hard to say what that is. It's great at making long ink lines... But we have an entire class for that already. It's faster, but you and your teammates will struggle around turns because of how skinny the line is. It's flick range is good, but you're slown down to a crawl when you swing which limits it's coverage potential. You could use it to dash into enemy territory and cover a bunch of ground, but again it's quite similar to Chargers in that regard, and Chargers can snipe on top of it.

Probably the most apparent thing it can do is rush into hard-to-reach sniper nests and wipe them out, but this isn't exactly a sniper heavy game right now and it seems only marginally better then other weapons.

Gweb

Inkling
Inkbrush is definitely an unique weapon. One more of the more difficult weapons to just pick up and use. It puts an emphasis on mobility and breaking through enemy defense. Requires a very different playstyle than rollers.

Initial thoughts is that it covers turf weaker than other weapons; however, ranked play is a different story. More time needed to gauge how good this weapon actually is. Very happy to see more options and weapon diversity in the game though.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
Like the chargers people are really underestimating the spreading power of this thing, it can't run and spread a lot at the same time, but it can run fast to a spot and then spread a lot of ink, plus jumping gives it range for when it gets onto the high ground. Adding on to my earlier comment about it being a counter to snipers, the relationship is mutual, since long range weapons are the best at beating an Inkbrush with the higher ground. I'm hoping to run into some more chargers as an Inkbrush since the counterplay between the two is interesting.

Funbot28

Inkling
I find the inkbrush has such a poor range, and does not cover alot of land when rolling. It uses so much ink, and in all I find the splat roller outclasses it, even if it is a bit slower

Marmalade

Full Squid
NNID
Marmalade
I am getting such good results with the paintbrush, last matches have all been around 1300 (my highest being 1500+) in turf wars for me. It just spreads ink that good and so fast. I am even usually one of the first to get my special (even when going against others that are using the aerospray). You just have to play the paintbrush very fast and not engage in fights. Use your speed to out maneuver enemies and leave them confused and frustrated because they can't keep up with you!

NebulaWords

Inkling
So ! I have tested the paintbrush and as fun as it is. I'll have to stick with the roller. I use it more easily than the Inkbrush. But then again, I'm lacking some skills so maybe I'll switch between the two so I can master the Inkbrush-

If I understand, the speed is key with the Inkbrush and maybe if you get a WALKING (not Squid form or both) Speed boost, you'll be impossible to keep up !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom