Ink Brush: Analysis and Thoughts thread

Sonic

Inkling
NNID
Sailings
tbh, i just need a "roller" with the inkstrike but i picked the gold dynamo roller.
but heck, i would love to try to pick up the inkbrush, since it's sonic fast.
any tips?

Putrid Squid

Inkling
I do not really have any tips other than that if you get into a fight with someone with a shooter weapon, if you have something you can attach it to above you, throwing a Sprinkler onto a walkway above you can help you get the advantage on your opponent. I get onto a fight with a Shooter and I think taking out my Sprinker distracted them enough to let me get the splat. I really like the Inkbrush, but my hands hurt even after just a few matches with it.

The Inkstrike is great, just try and keep aware of your surroundings when using it. Truth be told I get splatted right after I use it most of the time.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
tbh, i just need a "roller" with the inkstrike but i picked the gold dynamo roller.
but heck, i would love to try to pick up the inkbrush, since it's sonic fast.
any tips?
despite what a lot of people say this weapon can still 1v1, but you really need to space it out correctly
more specifically the swing of the brush itself deals damage along with the ink it flings (perfect spacing will allow both of these to hit, but that is unreliable), so in hectic close fights you have a good chance of winning. So most of this weapon is how to use your mobility creatively to get the jump on an opponent. you'll need to utilize jumping effectively though to beat out standard/carbon rollers. being effective at jumping will help you in general though as it can make you a harder target

Your damage and ability to cover turf go hand in hand with your ability to mash the trigger. with the trail during rolling being so thin, if you are out to cover turf effectively you may want to develop a pattern of swim, jump, mash and repeat to paint turf.

also echo-locators and the like tend to be a nightmare, so some recommendation towards cold blooded. Along with damage up to help you score the kill

Last edited:

Azure J

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AzureJay89
Does damage up really help the brush at all? I've heard conflicting reports on it and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it over other perks.

I just want one that hits hard as hell with Burst Bombs and Burst Bomb Rush/Bubbler.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
Does damage up really help the brush at all? I've heard conflicting reports on it and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it over other perks.

I just want one that hits hard as hell with Burst Bombs and Burst Bomb Rush/Bubbler.
does it help it immensely? no
does it bring consistency to your close range fights? yes
the main thing it does is it guarantees your opponent to die in four swings (an opponent with three defense up subs will take 5 hits occasionally)
it doesn't do much for those with out defense up

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21

WHO NEEDS THE OCTOBRUSH????? INKBRUSH 4 LIFE!!!!!!

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Having used the Inkbrush for a few hours, I must say the real advantages of this weapon come out in Turf Wars. The basic Inkbrush's Sprinkler + Inkstrike combo paired with its respectable melee swing coverage allows for very fast turf coverage and fast Inkstrike spamming, especially if you have the Special Charge Up ability on your gear. Ink Saver (main) lets you get better economy on melee swings after tossing Sprinklers, and should also help you with the rolling action for escaping.

A very valuable Ability to set would be Ink Resistance Up on your shoes, since if you play with any level of aggressiveness with a brush you'll need to be better equipped to make tactical withdrawls.

Personally I found it an easy transition from the N-Zap 89 to the basic Inkbrush, since they have the same sub/special combo and the Inkbrush's melee swings work great for ambushes and flanking attacks.

Right now I'm going to try out the Inkbrush Noveau next, which has Ink Mines and Bubbler instead for the sub/special combo but is otherwise nearly the same.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
No "inkbrush is OP" discussion would be complete without this video of someone scoring 1919p, then over 2000p with it (despite getting splatted twice). I learned everything I know about this most unstoppable of weapons by copying the tactics used in that video.

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
@Zoot
Hmm, I would like to watch the video but the site says I have to be logged in......do you know if this is on YouTube?

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Hmm, I would like to watch the video but the site says I have to be logged in
Nicovideo (which is like the Japanese equivalent of YouTube) requires you to log in before you can watch anything, but the site I linked to lets you get around that. Don't click any links on the page, just wait until it loads and press play!

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
Nicovideo (which is like the Japanese equivalent of YouTube) requires you to log in before you can watch anything, but the site I linked to lets you get around that. Don't click any links on the page, just wait until it loads and press play!
Oh, okay, thanks! Btw, do you main brush? It's my 2nd main and I love it!

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
(No posts in almost 9 months cri)

I was failing a lot at Ranked yesterday during Tower Control Walleye and Phirana Pit and ended up switching to the Inkbrush for fun after ranking down.
And of course, all chaos started then.

Started off teamed up with a Gold Dynamo, EL3K Scope, and Splattershot Pro. I got 9 splats. The 3 of them combined got 5 splats. Hooray for teammates that don't know how to use their weapon! A few rounds later, I Aced the other team. With the Inkbrush. Just how do you let your entire team get splatted by a single Inkbrush... I was getting an even mix of wins and losses. I decided to do 1 last game before the maps changed. And that was the most questionable match that I played. Aced the other team AGAIN (They must be doing it on purpose because I'm not even chasing them down, I just attack 1 of them and the other 3 teammates just happen to be there too.) AND I ended with 12 splats, more than anyone on either team.

I quit this game.

Also there were a lot of Permanent Inkbrush users and they were all absolutely terrible lol, I don't think any of them got over 5 splats. I should also say that I wasn't going for splats, I was just trying to get on the tower and be annoying. I never expected to get many splats in any matches.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
(No posts in almost 9 months cri)

I was failing a lot at Ranked yesterday during Tower Control Walleye and Phirana Pit and ended up switching to the Inkbrush for fun after ranking down.
And of course, all chaos started then.

Started off teamed up with a Gold Dynamo, EL3K Scope, and Splattershot Pro. I got 9 splats. The 3 of them combined got 5 splats. Hooray for teammates that don't know how to use their weapon! A few rounds later, I Aced the other team. With the Inkbrush. Just how do you let your entire team get splatted by a single Inkbrush... I was getting an even mix of wins and losses. I decided to do 1 last game before the maps changed. And that was the most questionable match that I played. Aced the other team AGAIN (They must be doing it on purpose because I'm not even chasing them down, I just attack 1 of them and the other 3 teammates just happen to be there too.) AND I ended with 12 splats, more than anyone on either team.

I quit this game.

Also there were a lot of Permanent Inkbrush users and they were all absolutely terrible lol, I don't think any of them got over 5 splats. I should also say that I wasn't going for splats, I was just trying to get on the tower and be annoying. I never expected to get many splats in any matches.
The sudden effectiveness of inkbrush in the meta, I'd wager it's because it's not a commonly-used weapon and many of these newbs underestimate it heavily.

I've managed to outmanuver mid-level players with A and B ranks myself, and once I bullied a newb roller with my brush during Splatfest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom