• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ink or Sink Q&A

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I'm going to sticky this until the tournament has finished.

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
I haven't seen any discussion about this topic what so ever so I'll go ahead and ask: are the new weapon types, Splatling and Slosher, allowed to be used in the tournament? Personally I don't feel like teams will have enough time to experience those 2 new weapon types so they shouldn't be allowed. There is only roughly 1 day to skim through the new content and I assume that most teams are going to take advantage of private lobbies and team ranked and use all time they possibly can to play as a whole team.

Xie

Inkling
NNID
xie-san
Is a team from Japan allowed to enter? Just a hypothetical question before I ask the squad if they are even interested, but I don't want to get everyone all excited only for them to not be able to enter.

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
I haven't seen any discussion about this topic what so ever so I'll go ahead and ask: are the new weapon types, Splatling and Slosher, allowed to be used in the tournament? Personally I don't feel like teams will have enough time to experience those 2 new weapon types so they shouldn't be allowed. There is only roughly 1 day to skim through the new content and I assume that most teams are going to take advantage of private lobbies and team ranked and use all time they possibly can to play as a whole team.
The way we're seeing it, players using brand new content in tournament play is a sort of risk and reward deal. We're allowing it, is what the short answer is. They have an opportunity to get a competitive edge by throwing out a weapon that no one's seen before, but they also have to learn that weapon. We're trying to make this series less limited, rather than more limited. Take Melee, for example. There are like 40 stages, but only 6 are legal. We want players to adapt in all aspects of the game.

That being said, we're not excluding the ideas of banned content altogether.

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
Is a team from Japan allowed to enter? Just a hypothetical question before I ask the squad if they are even interested, but I don't want to get everyone all excited only for them to not be able to enter.
Anyone from anywhere can enter. We'd love to have you! The only "problem" is that all the developers of Ink or Sink speak English, and aren't fluent in any other languages, which may bring up some issues in communication. We've built this tourney around the concept of "world-wide" play, where rules are put in place to accommodate people from vastly different time zones. We apologize if things don't work out, but we think you'll be able to participate without any problems.

DashEmeth

Inkster Jr.
NNID
dashemeth
If a Team wins the first game of a match on (for example) urchin underpass, and then looses the second game on another map, can she repick urchin underpass if it's not banned by the opposite team for the next game? In other words, are we using the dave stupid rule?

Xie

Inkling
NNID
xie-san
Thanks for the reply. I can be team leader and take care of translation, so I'll ask my playgroup what they think.

One further question though, the time says 6:00 EST, is that AM or PM?

Anyone from anywhere can enter. We'd love to have you! The only "problem" is that all the developers of Ink or Sink speak English, and aren't fluent in any other languages, which may bring up some issues in communication. We've built this tourney around the concept of "world-wide" play, where rules are put in place to accommodate people from vastly different time zones. We apologize if things don't work out, but we think you'll be able to participate without any problems.

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
Thanks for the reply. I can be team leader and take care of translation, so I'll ask my playgroup what they think.

One further question though, the time says 6:00 EST, is that AM or PM?
PM.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
The Order of steps in between matches are as follows.
  1. Ban Stages
  2. Weapon/Gear Selection
  3. Stage Choice
Can this be clarified? Does this mean we have to choose our weapons and gear before a stage is arrived at?

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
I mean, that's what it says. I'd assume yes.
That seems backwards and was kidna confusing because map bans come before it.

IMO weapons should be chosen after map selection is done in a FPS, just wanted to make sure.

Last edited:

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
That seems backwards and was kidna confusing because map bans come before it.

IMO weapons should be chosen after map selection is done in a FPS, just wanted to make sure.
This rule's been changed, actually. Now it goes as follows:

Maps are banned
The map is "locked in"
Players select weapons and gear

Valkyria

Bottom Feeder
NNID
Valkyriah
When team captains are determining a date/time for their teams to have their match, how long is one of the captains allowed to be unresponsive for?

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
I'm sure this has been talked about, but does anybody in the know want to explain the thought process behind the "neutral" starting maps? I feel that the rotating gametypes with starter & counterpick maps are a great, simple way to handle things, it's just that the specific maps chosen throw me off. Arowana, Warehouse, and Underpass are three of the most bottlenecked, slippery slope maps in the game so it's quite odd to me that they were chosen as starters (I know people don't like Skatepark for Turf Wars either).

So yeah, I'd like to see some insight for why they were chosen.

Oh, and on the note of rotating gametypes, I'm assuming that when rainmaker is released, the "starter" gametype will be different every round of the brackets, and I'm looking forward to how that will play out.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
I'm sure this has been talked about, but does anybody in the know want to explain the thought process behind the "neutral" starting maps? I feel that the rotating gametypes with starter & counterpick maps are a great, simple way to handle things, it's just that the specific maps chosen throw me off. Arowana, Warehouse, and Underpass are three of the most bottlenecked, slippery slope maps in the game so it's quite odd to me that they were chosen as starters (I know people don't like Skatepark for Turf Wars either).

So yeah, I'd like to see some insight for why they were chosen.

Oh, and on the note of rotating gametypes, I'm assuming that when rainmaker is released, the "starter" gametype will be different every round of the brackets, and I'm looking forward to how that will play out.
They're the original 5 maps, the ones people are most accustomed to and familiar with. That's all, really.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
They're the original 5 maps, the ones people are most accustomed to and familiar with. That's all, really.
Then why do we have a Starter-Counterpick system? It seems much better to have a FLSS system. In your method, it seems to be arbitrarily cutting stages for the first match when we have no idea what a neutral thing is in Splatoon.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
In the grand finals, will we still not be allowed to switch members in and out of the match?

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
In the grand finals, will we still not be allowed to switch members in and out of the match?
No because you are not gonna be playing in the grand finals.
:p

In all seriousness, why would they make an exception just for grand finals? I understand that it is gonna be a great moment for the teams that get so far but in my opinion that's even more reason to enforce the rules that has existed this far. Btw, if someone didn't catch it: I was joking at the beginning. I just had to...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom