Ink or Sink Tournament! v.1.1b Final Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Power

Inkling Commander
Very interesting that you're using a ruleset and set procedure format closer to Smash rather than other shooting games. Just curious - why implement the Smash model? Do you feel that counterpicking is the right system for Splatoon or are you just giving it the old college try?

I'd also like to see some matches of this tournament streamed. Are there any teams planning to do this?

Anyway, keep up the good work. Running an event is usually always rocky, but it's usually always worth it in the end, too.
On the streaming thing, yes, there are many teams who have players that can stream for them.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Added your teams @DashProF @Ultramus and @beckert26 to both the spreadsheet and the challonge page..

There's not going to be a limit to how many teams can enter (unless maybe if we reach like 60+ teams. Then i'm guessing we'd start capping thing off :p)
I just wanted things to be simple for you. Plus, we might get more and more teams without streaming! :c

Protom

Pro Squid
I just wanted things to be simple for you. Plus, we might get more and more teams without streaming! :c
Currently 23 / 32 of the teams registered have a potential streamer(s). That I feel is already is fantastic amount, especially since streaming wasn't even a primary focus of the tournament at first. The more streamers the merrier, but we shouldn't discourage teams that that can't stream. As for simplicity, I think we can manage it the way it is currently and even if it got to 40 or so teams. Thank you for your concern and feedback however :)

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
Very interesting that you're using a ruleset and set procedure format closer to Smash rather than other shooting games. Just curious - why implement the Smash model? Do you feel that counterpicking is the right system for Splatoon or are you just giving it the old college try?

I'd also like to see some matches of this tournament streamed. Are there any teams planning to do this?

Anyway, keep up the good work. Running an event is usually always rocky, but it's usually always worth it in the end, too.
I think one of the reasons that we decided on the Smash model is because it is just familiar to us. A lot of the people here come from smashboards so I think it sort of makes sense that we are doing this, however if we find that this is too much hassle we will obviously change in the future. I guess it's sort of a way to do this for all Nintendo games, (unless other games have stage striking as well). I mean, it doesn't take a lot of time to decide since in chat it would be like this.

We ban Urchin

We ban Moray and Dome
We ban Mall and Bluefin

Etc.

I dunno it just clicked to us for some reason and we want to try it out. Hope that answered your question :)

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I think one of the reasons that we decided on the Smash model is because it is just familiar to us. A lot of the people here come from smashboards so I think it sort of makes sense that we are doing this, however if we find that this is too much hassle we will obviously change in the future. I guess it's sort of a way to do this for all Nintendo games, (unless other games have stage striking as well). I mean, it doesn't take a lot of time to decide since in chat it would be like this.

We ban Urchin

We ban Moray and Dome
We ban Mall and Bluefin

Etc.

I dunno it just clicked to us for some reason and we want to try it out. Hope that answered your question :)
Yeah, I guess it works for everyone who's from the Smash community, so that's nice. I've always felt stage-striking and counter-picking to be a clunky, inaccessible way to go about map selection though.

I'm sure it'll play out fine, though, especially with how easy it'll be to just type in chat to pick a map or whatever.

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
Yeah, I guess it works for everyone who's from the Smash community, so that's nice. I've always felt stage-striking and counter-picking to be a clunky, inaccessible way to go about map selection though.

I'm sure it'll play out fine, though, especially with how easy it'll be to just type in chat to pick a map or whatever.
If you have other ideas in mind on how to strike stages, I'm all ears :D We are just trying to see what works in this tournament and what doesn't.

Faschz

Inkling
NNID
faschz
Is there an alternative to Skype for contacting the leaders, a few of us are interested but would like to avoid using the program as a means of communication. Is there a possibility of using twitter DM/email/twitch message instead?

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
Is there an alternative to Skype for contacting the leaders, a few of us are interested but would like to avoid using the program as a means of communication. Is there a possibility of using twitter DM/email/twitch message instead?
Yes there is. we plan on recording all audio calls and uploading them to youtube and also taking notes so that we can jot down what is good about the tournament and what is bad.

Protom

Pro Squid
Just on the topic of stage selction etc, I think a system like in use of www.smashladder.com would be super handy in this game
I was just thinking that myself. A system that easily allows to check in when both teams are online and ready, easy stage selecting, easy recording what gear/weps were used, etc. That'd be an amazing thing to hav down the line..

LemonPlaid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Exo-Josh
Glad to see the drama dying down! It's just a testfire and I think the ruleset is fine, thanks to the TOs for putting on a tournament in the first place and putting up with the people on this thread. May the best team win!

RahZ

Inkling
NNID
Rauhlz
I was just thinking that myself. A system that easily allows to check in when both teams are online and ready, easy stage selecting, easy recording what gear/weps were used, etc. That'd be an amazing thing to hav down the line..
Yeah with the current amount of maps in the roster it would be doable for the time being the more maps added though the more difficult stage striking becomes to which from that point on I would gravitate to a more gamebattles system where as you find a team then the maps/games modes get randomed or have some sort of order like (Forget turfwar for the moment) Splatzone > Tower Control > Rainmaker > Tower Control > Splat zone

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
Can we have everyone's attention really quick?

We're in the process of deciding whether or not to remove rule 4, which states gear and weapons can only be switched games 2 and 4.

and we'd like you all to weigh in on this strawpoll, in the event that the rule is removed

http://strawpoll.me/5072604

thanks!

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
Yeah with the current amount of maps in the roster it would be doable for the time being the more maps added though the more difficult stage striking becomes to which from that point on I would gravitate to a more gamebattles system where as you find a team then the maps/games modes get randomed or have some sort of order like (Forget turfwar for the moment) Splatzone > Tower Control > Rainmaker > Tower Control > Splat zone
at this point, we don't plan to include rainmaker in Ink or Sink

ShellShock

Inkling
NNID
DaShellShock
First tournament test and already complaints....it's a test, pretty sure there will be a ton more tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom