Ink or Sink Tournament! v.1.1b Final Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
I'm just singing... Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends...

Power

Inkling Commander
Alright, I agree that its obviously not good to oppress other people's opinions. Go ahead and theorize, its good for the community long term. As organizers we are simply trying to hear out what you guys are saying and avoid making drastic changes to the rule set we came up with for the tourney. (Unless it is just plain wrong in the eyes of the community)

It is probably best to ignore those that aren't open minded enough to see both sides of a position and think that their opinion is fact. It is somewhat of a losing battle.

I think the use of the test tournament argument was a way to avoid criticism handed towards us organizers for setting it up the way we did. It doesn't matter, lets just focus on improvement, you are right it starts now.

It would be ideal from now on to hear logically sound arguments or criticisms about the rules we have in place so it can be changed or taken into consideration later on. This is better than simply arguing why we shouldn't debate this or that.

Burritoburger

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Burritoburger
First of all, the TOs listening is a good thing. Second of all, " Unfortunately they can't appeal to everyone." Dude, that is pretty much the same with anything that involves competition. Third, you still cannot say "no discussion." This is simple and logical.
We are well aware that this is a test tournament. That is NOT a good argument for not criticizing the current rules. The entire point of this tournament is to try and develop a good ruleset, so why not start that process now?
You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Making suggestions is fine, but it is completely unreasonable to demand a change without ever trying the original concepts. Everyone is seeing the situation as a minefield, when it really shouldn't be like that. Accusing the tourney of being bad before it even happens simply based on a ruleset that is constantly being changed to fit standards isn't right.

Eventually we'll have to settle with something, because people will always want to change the rules. Someone will always disagree.

Apparently, if the TOs say "no" to one idea despite accepting dozens of others, that means opinions are being ignored.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Making suggestions is fine, but it is completely unreasonable to demand a change without ever trying the original concepts.
Unless the original concepts are flawed in some way. Like- "OK EVERYBODY, Evo 2016 with smash balls! Get hype!" We test original concepts in our brains using background knowledge. We are not all blind men waving a stick around.

Burritoburger

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Burritoburger
Ahh, screw it. I don't wanna argue anymore.
The meta is evolving, Splatoon tourneys are evolving with it... I think I'll sit back and see what happens from here on out.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Making suggestions is fine, but it is completely unreasonable to demand a change without ever trying the original concepts. Everyone is seeing the situation as a minefield, when it really shouldn't be like that. Accusing the tourney of being bad before it even happens simply based on a ruleset that is constantly being changed to fit standards isn't right.

Eventually we'll have to settle with something, because people will always want to change the rules. Someone will always disagree.

Apparently, if the TOs say "no" to one idea despite accepting dozens of others, that means opinions are being ignored.

Oh, no, as I said earlier, I have the utmost respect for the TOs here. I completely understand their problem of people not liking what you've proposed. But it is unreasonable to expect people to not voice their misgivings about the ruleset. I of course will accept whatever option the TOs stick with, and thank them for making this tournament

Matt-

Inkling
NNID
Matt_MK8

MintChipper

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TonyEH
For those groups that have not registered yet please don't let the activity in the thread currently affect you on your decision to enter, I honestly don't understand why you guys just keep the tourney as it is and make a suggestion thread after it for advice on any changes. I'm not gonna reply here until this fuss is cleared up.

Valkyria

Bottom Feeder
NNID
Valkyriah
No worries MintChipper, more teams will register soon. I've talked with the squids over on the Gamefaqs community and convinced them to register. Watch out though, those guys are no joke. I play with them literally everyday and they are seriously good.

AGES

Full Squid
NNID
Snicks
I'm just singing... Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends...
You're hosting the first competitive tournament for a game that is very new and different than many others, the way this is organized isn't perfect no matter what you've tried and there's going to be blood over this whether the tourney is actually fairly run or not

Tl;dr it's the nature of the beast my friend

Suggestion thread after this sounds like a good idea btw, get plenty more ideas from the actual community on how to better run the tourney and/or devise a rule set. In the end you can't do it all by yourselves no matter how many people are in your team without consulting and taking ideas from the people actually participating in these events

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
You're hosting the first competitive tournament for a game that is very new and different than many others, the way this is organized isn't perfect no matter what you've tried and there's going to be blood over this whether the tourney is actually fairly run or not

Suggestion thread after this sounds like a good idea btw, get plenty more ideas from the actual community on how to better run the tourney and/or devise a rule set. In the end you can't do it all by yourselves no matter how many people are in your team without consulting and taking ideas from the people actually participating in these events
Thanks man! I really need that [:

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini

yeah, i mean, the ruleset's been molded around community input since the very start. we're trying to take all opinions into account, but there are some rules that have to be put into practice before we can really judge whether or not they're a good fit. there's a lot of false analogy blowing things out of proportion. all we can really say is that the ink or sink ruleset ver. 1.1 will be reconstructed from polls and data from the testfire, and will smooth out the edges. it could yield some major changes, or just a few minor ones. we really don't know, but we're trying to make the most solid ruleset for what the testfire is.

it's also a bit strange to see people saying things like "you're backing out of old ideas and changing rules" and also "you need to listen to the community and change the rules" in the same breath. the ruleset is in it's sort of pubescent stage, right now. after 1.1 comes out, (in time for the next tourney in the series) the ruleset will continue to change, but nowhere near as much as it is now. we, of course, need to modify rulesets as new content and patches to come out, to grow with the game.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Very interesting that you're using a ruleset and set procedure format closer to Smash rather than other shooting games. Just curious - why implement the Smash model? Do you feel that counterpicking is the right system for Splatoon or are you just giving it the old college try?

I'd also like to see some matches of this tournament streamed. Are there any teams planning to do this?

Anyway, keep up the good work. Running an event is usually always rocky, but it's usually always worth it in the end, too.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Holy cow that was A LOT of catching up to do lol
I know it is super taxing to address everyone's arguments and then have to decide what is best, but honestly guys this discussion would have had to happen soon or later so I am actually glad it happened because this is contributing to the game's competitive meta.
I know I've already thanked you guys for hosting the tourney but Ima thank you again for helping the competitive community :)

Last edited:

A_Pizza

Inkling
Any team need one more dude that is kinda good, if not good luck to everyone :)

DashProF

Inkling
NNID
DashProF
Hi, thanks for the tournament !

Team Name: Dash Team
Team Leader IGN/NNID: Emeth/DashEmeth
Skype of team leader: dashemeth
Team Members IGN’s/NNID’s (3-7): Tidus/DTidus ProF/DashProF Kawai/DashWaen Rojox/rojox76 miakx/DashMiakx Zozo/Zolairx Agito/aagitoo2
Team Tag (2-4 Characters): Dash
Can anyone stream on your team (Yes/No) if so, twitch? : Yes
Can you host a room (Yes/No): Yes
Main timezone of team: CET ( GMT+2 )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom