• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

is an octo brush offensive or defensive?

G

girigiriHERO

I think it really depends on your build. With enough Swim Speed Up it can be a moot points because they won't be fast enough to catch you anyways. While I see the merit in Ninja Squid, I think the other shirt only abilities outweigh it.

karl childers

Full Squid
It's a stealth weapon, at least when used most effectively. So I wouldn't exactly call it offensive or defensive, more like "aggressive."
I agree with this guy. Brush weapons are the ninjas of Splatoon. They rely a lot on deception of the enemy. The more distracted the opponent is the easier they are to kill. You can't really attack people head-on. The octobrush is a support weapon. Ambushing and stage control are its strong points. It's run speed is great for escapes and flanking, but you can't simply run towards an enemy head-on. It capitalizes off of chaos and is one of the most effective melee weapons in the game due it's wide ink spread. But it's range is very limited and, consequently, you have to pick your battles wisely. Spacing is crucial. You have to find ways to close space between you and your opponent (Splat Bombs help tremendously by pressuring your opponent to move towards or away from you). Know when an opponent outranges you and then retreat and try a different approach (climbing on top of objects and pouncing at the enemy is very effective). Starting out, you will die many times in failed ambushes due to them backing up and outranging you. But failed ambushes happen less often as you become experienced with the weapon.

Last edited:

Inkling Ash

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Zachy_Dad
Yeah, stay away from Ninja Squid. That ability seriously needs a buff.

To me the Octobrush is a blend of both offensive and defensive, and I think that's the beauty of the weapon. I play it in the style of "hmm, how much mischief can I cause if I ________". I might push an objective for a little bit, get bored and wander off to find some enemies to splat before returning. It's a flexible weapon and I think you need to be a flexible player in order to get the most out of the Octobrush.

You need to bring your A-game though and seize every open opportunity to be a sneaky son of a swordfish when trying to splat opponents because if they see you coming you're going to lose a close quarters fight. It's why I think Swim Speed Up is a good option for the Octobrush. If it lets you outmanoeuver an opponent in a fight it's your friend.

One negative for the Octobrush is that I've developed a jump + swish brush technique that has me spamming both RT and Y at the same time in what looks like a pinsir-type motion. It can get quite tiresome on my hands after a while which means I can only play a few matches at a time with the Octobrush. If I end up with carpal tunnel because of the Octobrush I won't be pleased![/
I completely agree with you because it's week in a way I think that's why everyone puts quick respawn on it.

G

girigiriHERO

I'm just gonna say this, if you have 3 Swim Speed subs with Ninja Squid, the basically cancel eachother out.
which is the exact reason it's a bad ability. I'd rather have a pure Swim Speed Up shirt, that would be far more beneficial than maybe the enemy not noticing you.

SmokyWreck

A captain of the darkness.
As a fanatic of every brush, i'd have to say that the octobrush can be anything. It all depend on how you play. For exemple;
I'm a very agressive player. As soon as i see an ennemy, charger or not. I charge in. Not head-on obviously-- Walls are any weapons' best friend.

If i where to use the vanilla octobrush. I'd play patiently. Charge your kraken, place a beacon near ennemy ink and wait for that one player to try and get rid of it ! Then, you simply pop your kraken or simply charge in. You'll have the time to splat them. And if it fail, the kraken is a safe bet to protect yourself and maybe get that precious splat or more.

The octobrush is the kind of weapons that you're more rawarded when you use it in an offensive way. But you can use it for defense just as well ! Kraken could be used to force ennemy away from the objective, beacon to allow quick access to the turf and the octobrush in general can cover ground and push back another kraken very well.

How ever. What i say are mostly opinion based, the only weapon i know for sure is the octobrush nouveau ;v;b

Rickyyyx3

Inkling
NNID
Cri6_rl
I honestly have no idea which is not good because of how useful it is please give me an answer.
You need to go BALLS TO THE WALL with the brush ! Gotta get up in enemies faces, like WHATUP squid!? Slap them silly, and be very very sneaky. Flanking ur enemy, and hiding in the most bizzar HIGH uptop places to get the ambush kill like a sneaky ninja >;] i love the octobrush, i dont play any other weapon. Made it to S+ using octobrush only

SplatKiddo

Inkling
NNID
Rishwanth135
It's one of a kind!no,seriously it is offensive AND defensive;you can trust me because I'm a
100% Octobrush main!

Zeriel00

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zeriel00
I would say is both, I saw one today and I'm usually in the front lines with my .52 and then comes this guy with an Octobrush,
he looks like a Tazmanian devil! :scared:

Shooting it is pretty useless I think the constant swinging blocks shots and he was tearing trough my team and occasionally sneaked up on me too. He was really hard to deal with and nobody could get on his territory. I could only get in with Splash Walls or Killer Wail lol

Shalnark

Full Squid
You shouldn't always play offensive or defensive with any weapon in the game. When you hear competitive players use these classifications, they mean that some weapons are more likely to get triple or quad kills on the front lines while other weapons are more likely to get one kill at a time.

ace》JR

Inkling
I'm an S rank octobrush user and I use mine very offensively so I would go with it's a more offensive weapon in my opinion

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
In my opinion it's a stealth weapon on its normal state and its sub-weapon is focused on team support, and that's pretty flexible.

I can't agree on trying to fit regular Octobrush on Offensive or Defensive, it's just diffent. If looking for a more Offensive one I suggest you trying Octobrush Nouveau.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom