• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

is an octo brush offensive or defensive?

Woomy

Inkling
NNID
woomy159
I honestly have no idea which is not good because of how useful it is please give me an answer.

TacosConCarne

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TacosConCarne
in my opinion its a defensive weapon since it takes a bit of time to kill you need to get the ambush
it lets you get around the map fairly fast thru enemy territory
decent job of spreading ink as well

GirlyMii

Senior Squid
NNID
Miipopal
With a kraken :) I say offensive.
I have a friend who uses the octobrush in squads and she always has top kills on our team.

Omegadraxons

Inkling
NNID
Omardragon
I'd say it is a defensive weapon that spreads ink quite well and uniquely,you can't attack or rush the enemy unless they are using a extremely short range weapon Because there will always be that sniper!

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I use Octobrush a lot, you have to be offensive but very sneaky like a ninja to use it because of short range, it's not that good for defense though, so you should always be using it to progress into the enemy territory and get stealthy kills, it can also easily brush over enemy ink for quick escapes if you need them

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Agreement with @Mateiüsthesquidwarrior, the Octobrush is an aggressive weapon that you can use either offensively or defensively.

In a Splat Zone match for example, I will sometimes just swim barely outside the zone. Always on the move. Patrol the area like a shark. When an opponent gets close I'm all "OM NOM NOM MY SPLATZONE I SPLAT U" and continue moving so even though they know I'm there, they don't know exactly where.

During a Rainmaker match my aggression can take the offensive approach by reenacting scenes from Natural Geographic. Once an opponent becomes the rainmaker bearer they become that one gazelle I target. Hockey check them around corners, camp on the ledge underneath them, cheetah chase them from behind, Batman them from above, etc. And once the bearer is down, either get out of there or splat the bearer's two or three teammates if they haven't caught on yet (then it's like a scene from Predator).

Those are just two examples because the Octobrush can be a very versatile weapons that can be used in either a defensive or offensive capability depending on circumstance.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
The Octobrush is both an offensive and defensive weapon. It can play both defense and offense. It depends entirely upon how the player is using the Octobrush. I'm a main for the Octobrush Nouveau and I can use it offensively or defensively. It just depends on how I'm feeling up to playing and whether the match calls for more defense or more offense.

Zac.RAR

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sirboopsalot
I use Octobrush a lot, you have to be offensive but very sneaky like a ninja to use it because of short range, it's not that good for defense though, so you should always be using it to progress into the enemy territory and get stealthy kills, it can also easily brush over enemy ink for quick escapes if you need them
I agree. Its best used with Ninja Squid so you can sneak up on enemies.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I agree. Its best used with Ninja Squid so you can sneak up on enemies.
I usually just do a trick where I mash diagonal up-left and diagonal up-right so I don't have to waste a slot with ninja squid and go slower all the time. It also helps because you can choose when you need to be fast or sneaky/slow, and it doesn't hurt the kraken special by making kraken go slower.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
I don't think Ninja Squid is that great, for Octobrush or in general. The loss in swim speed hurts really, really bad, and you can hide yourself by swimming slowly anyway. Also, it doesn't even hide you when you get Echolocated/Point Sensor'd/Haunted, which happens a lot in matches and wastes your Shirt's main ability lol.

A lot of times with Octobrush I'm in an isolated spot anyway, so I don't really need to hide my squid swimming around.

Cold-Blooded might be a great main ability for Octobrush, because if the opponent knows where you are, you're pretty much screwed lol

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
Yeah, stay away from Ninja Squid. That ability seriously needs a buff.

To me the Octobrush is a blend of both offensive and defensive, and I think that's the beauty of the weapon. I play it in the style of "hmm, how much mischief can I cause if I ________". I might push an objective for a little bit, get bored and wander off to find some enemies to splat before returning. It's a flexible weapon and I think you need to be a flexible player in order to get the most out of the Octobrush.

You need to bring your A-game though and seize every open opportunity to be a sneaky son of a swordfish when trying to splat opponents because if they see you coming you're going to lose a close quarters fight. It's why I think Swim Speed Up is a good option for the Octobrush. If it lets you outmanoeuver an opponent in a fight it's your friend.

One negative for the Octobrush is that I've developed a jump + swish brush technique that has me spamming both RT and Y at the same time in what looks like a pinsir-type motion. It can get quite tiresome on my hands after a while which means I can only play a few matches at a time with the Octobrush. If I end up with carpal tunnel because of the Octobrush I won't be pleased!

Last edited:

xXDR.SWOOCEXx

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SupahHotFire17
The Octobrush is without a doubt a defensive weapon. The ironic part is, the more defensive you play, the high your kill count. This weapon is utilized best when you lie in wait for your opponents. Usually, the only times you die are when you overextend and try to hunt down your opponents. I consistently get kills in the mid to high teens and usually keep death count under five.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
One negative for the Octobrush is that I've developed a jump + swish brush technique that has me spamming both RT and Y at the same time in what looks like a pinsir-type motion. It can get quite tiresome on my hands after a while which means I can only play a few matches at a time with the Octobrush. If I end up with carpal tunnel because of the Octobrush I won't be pleased!
you fool! carpal tunnel is just part of being an octobrusher. git gud :rolleyes:

i'm an octobrush main, and honestly................... i have no idea? like someone else said, you have to be sneaky, so it's more aggressive than offensive/defensive. you will spend a lot of time in your ink watching your opponents until you're close enough to jump on them. so really. you're both?

as for ninja squid - i tried it with an octobrush build today for the first time and honestly? i digged it a LOT. i couldn't tell the swim speed difference, and it was a lot easier to close in on people. i'd suggest anyone try to pick it up again, sure it was nerfed to squid hell and back, but it still has use if you're willing to deal with it.

also, brushes were buffed so ink falls at your feet now, and this has made it a lot easier to be "offensive". i was on a roll today, thank u based splatoon gods

xXDR.SWOOCEXx

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SupahHotFire17
In my opinion, ninja squid is counter-productive on the octobrush. 1. It slows down your kraken which can be really annoying. 2. An octobrush spends a good amount of time sitting in its own ink so ninja squid doesn't help much 3. You can get the same affect by swimming slowly.

Cuttlefish

NNID
tokkers
In my opinion, ninja squid is counter-productive on the octobrush. 1. It slows down your kraken which can be really annoying. 2. An octobrush spends a good amount of time sitting in its own ink so ninja squid doesn't help much 3. You can get the same affect by swimming slowly.
1) if you use the nouveau this doesn't apply
2) honestly, i'm a bit more on the offensive side. yeah i stay in my ink, but i still like to close the gap inbetween my opponents if i can. i can't just sit around in the same place forever :p
3) ive never had luck doing this, especially not in a fast paced match. you'd have to swim slower than the ninja squid nerf would give you, so what's the point?

if you have a triple of some use on a piece of ninja squid gear, then i'd say it's worth it with a nouveau.

men0etius

Inkling
I have to agree with cuttlefish. I used ninja squid forever with my Jr and when I took it off and tried the go slow technique I felt way too slow and defenseless. I don't know for the brush specifically but I don't think the ninja squid ability is as useless as some say. I get many close up flank kills because I can arc around behind someone in a intense fight which does not work as well for me without ninja.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I used to use ninja squid with octobrush, but it makes your kraken go very slow so I don't use it any longer, since I find a lot of other perks to be much better. In fact, I find Ninja Squid quite useless now. When I need to be sneaky, I do a trick I came up with where I mash between up left and up right. I never go max speed so I don't make ripples in the ink and while I only go at about 1/2 to 2/3 the normal speed, you usually don't need to be going that fast while sneaking around, and it makes it so you can actually swim faster when you really need to. So since you can basically alternate between ninja and no ninja without the perk, it's not a very good one to use.

Cuttlefish

NNID
tokkers
I used to use ninja squid with octobrush, but it makes your kraken go very slow so I don't use it any longer, since I find a lot of other perks to be much better. In fact, I find Ninja Squid quite useless now. When I need to be sneaky, I do a trick I came up with where I mash between up left and up right. I never go max speed so I don't make ripples in the ink and while I only go at about 1/2 to 2/3 the normal speed, you usually don't need to be going that fast while sneaking around, and it makes it so you can actually swim faster when you really need to. So since you can basically alternate between ninja and no ninja without the perk, it's not a very good one to use.
I guess its more about the convenience, though?

my shirt is currently a "free slot" on my octobrush nouveau build. I don't really have anything that I MUST have on it for my playstyle. I usually wear the tako tee (haunt) or something like that, so putting ninja squid there isn't a huge problem for me.

and as I said, I can't manage the slow swimming thing and it seems too much of a hassle. with ninja squid, I don't have to worry about it, and I can just swim along. its not necessarily about its ability, it's about the convenience of it.

I wouldn't suggest it for a regular octobrush like I said, but yeah

Bleeze

Inkling
NNID
BleezeFreeze
The octobrush is an ambush weapon, and therefore it takes on more of a defensive role. It has pretty short range which makes it difficult to aproach any decent squid. The only tool it has to push in is its kraken. The best use of this weapon is to set beakons in nice spots and stop enemies from getting too close to the objective. The kraken ahould really be used as a push/anti-push tool instead of a team killing special. Just be syealthy and attack those who don't expect it. Pretty much all of the rollers are more defensive weapons, except maybe the octo nouveau, permabrush, and the carbons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom