• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Is anyone else bummed about Splatoon's interactivity?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
There's a lot of things I've been hearing about Splatoon's general online interactivity that has been bothering me. I mean the stuff like the lack of voice chat, or no custom games with friends, not being able to use money from singleplayer for online, etc; etc;.

I might be picky about this but these are generally things that are common set for an online shooter or just online games in general. I'm still getting Splatoon, obviously (i've even planning to celebrate the release with squid hats and friends!), but this has really bothered my ever since it's been mentioned. Am I just crazy, or is something that's okay being bothered about?

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
its perfectly fine to be bothered by these things, while I'm a bit disappointed in Nintendo's Decision and lack of implementation of things, I trust that at the very least the netcode and online play will be a crisp experience at the least. If they built a Multiplayer focused game, and it has terrible netcode and connectivity issues out the wazoo.... well I think We'll all be disappointed. Especially since the game looks soooo much fun.

michael_goldfish

Inkster Jr.
NNID
michael_godfish
You're definitely not crazy :P Having options is always a good thing and it feels like they're just taking a lot of our options away. I don't care for in-game voice chat because I'll use Skype anyway, but that doesn't mean the option shouldn't be there. If a lot of other people want voice chat, which seems to be the case, not allowing it at all seems like a mistake to me too especially since I can always turn it off. Custom games is the same thing, why wouldn't we get to choose how we play the game? It doesn't hurt anyone to have these options so I'm hoping for them to patch that in at some point.

As for online and offline not sharing equipment I don't know how I feel about it yet. I was okay with it at first since it can limit potential OP weapons from going online, but as I think about it more everyone has access to the single player mode anyway, so why not let us use our cool stuff online. If anything all this info gives me an uneasy feeling about what else might happen.

Reactions: Lyn

wolfiexvii

Inkster Jr.
A bit salty that there is no voice chat
But it's Ninty, and that's to be expected
Still hype for the game
I'll just use Skype

Reactions: nix

Lyn

Premium
I'm hoping you're right. We'll have to see when the game comes out, you never know. If Smash 4's Online says anything about how it's going to play then I'm very worried.

A bit salty that there is no voice chat
But it's Ninty, and that's to be expected
Still hype for the game
I'll just use Skype
Yeah, that makes sense. I can't use my computer and my Wii U at the same time, though, since they are in different rooms. :(

Gongong

Inkling
The lack of voice chat has seem to become a thing to expect from Nintendo titles, but it really isn't that big of an issue to me personally, as I could just use skype, etc. No custom games with friends is pretty stupid however..

Lyn

Premium
I feel like voice chat off in online play is almost necessary for a game oriented towards children, but the no custom games I cannot get behind, they did it in sm4sh, why not splatoon ;-;
I have no idea. Maybe they'll add it in an update? Fingers crossed. :(

Fancy

Inkling
I'm really hoping they at least add custom rooms in an update or something. Probably the biggest thing that's making me hesitate buying it. Interesting how a game that's main focus is online has less online features than a common Nintendo Wii U/3DS game.

continuityOfficer

Inkster Jr.
I think that its unavoidable if they want to create a family freindly environment

Some say you should still have it with freinds, but that is a massively unfair disadvantage to someone who doesnt and expecting people to collect enough friends consistently to have enough battles going that you dont have to wait ages to get into a match is ridiculous.

michael_goldfish

Inkster Jr.
NNID
michael_godfish
Friends playing splatoon together are already gonna be able to talk to each other though whether it's in-game or not, so that unfair advantage is unavoidable unless there's voice chat everywhere. Having voice chat with friends would just make things easier.

continuityOfficer

Inkster Jr.
Friends playing splatoon together are already gonna be able to talk to each other though whether it's in-game or not, so that unfair advantage is unavoidable unless there's voice chat everywhere. Having voice chat with friends would just make things easier.
Yeah, but it advertises it.

Knowing that you are facing off against someone who clearly has an advantage is annoying and feels unfair. Not knowing makes you atleast think its skill and stops players from quitting.

And actually, has it even been confirmed we can group with freinds?

Aura

Infiltrator
I feel that Nintendo will acknowledge these concerns and mayhaps add an update with these things. Least I hope so. Regardless, I am still hyped. Nintendo has been needing something like this for awhile, and I've great faith they will not disappoint.

michael_goldfish

Inkster Jr.
NNID
michael_godfish
So we can have custom rooms with friends but we can't set our own rules like an hour of splat zones or something.

Knowing that you are facing off against someone who clearly has an advantage is annoying and feels unfair.
That's a good point, this all goes back to them not including any form of voice chat anyway. Having full voice chat with an easy way to toggle mute seemed like the best option for sure, or even have it preset to mute for the kiddies.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
Alot these choices have no reasons behind them how does a friends option for voice chat hurt anyone? No custom games is a loss for casuals and competitive players. Single player money not being used sucks as well. They should really work with the community this game can be big it needs more options to be big. I have friends who want a WiiU they are xbox/ps4 guys but don't wanna deal with skype to chat and no invites system.

continuityOfficer

Inkster Jr.
So we can have custom rooms with friends but we can't set our own rules like an hour of splat zones or something.

That's a good point, this all goes back to them not including any form of voice chat anyway. Having full voice chat with an easy way to toggle mute seemed like the best option for sure, or even have it preset to mute for the kiddies.
I think the thing nintendo are most afraid of is splatoon getting a reputation of bad mouths on it (or more likely weeaboo's). and even with a toggle option, its still going to have that reputation, and when you toggle it you also loose that advantage, which is unfair.

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
And here comes the reviews....

9.8/10 IGN "Too Much Ink"

Honestly since skype eats my sad excuse for bandwidth, I'll be using teamspeak.. d(T.T)b

In terms of Online modes, THEY NEED TO HAVE DEDICATED SERVERS, WITH SMART matchmaking and or region selection options. you can't just throw us in a game with people who our ping is like 300+. oh...and the game needs to show the connection quality. that's pretty important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom