Is damage ability stacking a bad thing?

Is damage ability stacking bad or "OP"?

• Yes (It's the sole bane of my exsistence! NEEERRRRRRFFFF!)

• No (I'm one myself or I just don't find it a big issue at the moment.)

• Don't care (Just running with the flow.)

Results are only viewable after voting.

NYCO

Inkling
NNID
NYCO27
Recently I'm been playing loads of Splatoon and having a good time because it's a good ol winter break. Playing some casual turf wars and man, They are extremely intense ounce you're in a high leval. Well that's fine, I can still goof off and cause a no killing zone without risk. But whenever I get killed by any Chargers, Splat rollers, Blasters, or weapons that have Splat Bomb subs. I die extremely quickly because of the intense damage ability stacking (not all the time). This makes me cringe at times (or many).... The damage ability evilly makes Splat rollers have more range to get an easy splat, Splat Bombs and Blasters can get real anoying, and Chargers can kill good ol' happy Inklings for just a second or two of charging. Now I'm not saying these people are bad (hopefully). I'm just kinda wishing that the damge ability whould have some kind of nerf so that people don't take too much advantages for fixing the cons of the weopons with damage.

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
You can counter Damage Up by evading any shots or Burst Bombs. For this reason, I use Swim Speed Up instead of Defense Up, because no damage is more OP then neutralizing any received.

Shooters can also benefit from Run Speed Up depending on their mobility while firing.

NYCO

Inkling
NNID
NYCO27
You can counter Damage Up by evading any shots or Burst Bombs. For this reason, I use Swim Speed Up instead of Defense Up, because no damage is more OP then neutralizing any received.

Shooters can also benefit from Run Speed Up depending on their mobility while firing.
I tend to use those abilities also. Sometimes people with really good aim are pretty darn hard to get.

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
The TTK for a Luna Blaster is pretty horrid without the Damage Up Splat Bomb combo. I think when it comes to Blasters, there's only the Custom Range Blaster that also shares this technique so it's best to either abuse elevated grounds or stack Defense Ups as a counter. It does take about two Damage Up mains to make this effective though so these Blasters have to sacrifice a bit on their abilities in return.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
I haven't seen any situations where I feel I wasn't given a chance due to chargers charging too quickly. The real problem is lag not showing where they're actually aiming...

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
Damage Up is used to counter Defense Up. When your opponent has no Defense Up, then Damage up isn't really as effective

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Depends on your weapon. I don't see the point on weapons like the .96, Splat Charger, and other guns that already have a high damage output. Something like the Dual Squelcher could benefit from a power boost, though. Personally, I prefer things that increase mobility. I think it's better to move around the map quickly and get out of enemy ink faster than to hit harder, but I play a very opportunistic style that focuses on sneak attacks. If you find yourself trading shots with the other team a lot, a little extra power might help I suppose.

D

Deleted Member

Damage Up is used to counter Defense Up. When your opponent has no Defense Up, then Damage up isn't really as effective
Not exactly. Damage Up and Defense Up both have two purposes.

Damage Up is used primarily to shorten the charge time for a OHKO on a charger, power up burst bombs, extend the OHKO range of the Dynamo and make the OHKOs more consistent. It also counters Defense Up, which is mandatory for the .52 Gal.

Defense Up is used to take less damage. On several weapons such as the .52 Gal, it increases the number of hits to be splatted. In the case of the .52 Gal, it increases from a 2HKO to a 3HKO. It also counters Damage Up.

NNID
Rave_Darkness
the weapons have a damage lock on them. the lock is in the form of minimum shots to kill. you have to be hit by the weapon x amount of times before it will kill you. it stays the same for the weapon no matter how many Damage Ups you have. the .52 gal will never OHKO you from full health. cause of this number the stacked Damage up only really works with weapons that have OHKO or 2 hit rapid KO. its main point does go to countering Defense Up.

NYCO

Inkling
NNID
NYCO27
Looks like the majority of the people don't th ink dmg isn't really OP (must be my problem) ohh well. Now dmg stacking isn't the most op thing with some weapons like shooter weapins or weapons without burst bombs. Now here the thing of what makes me think it's Overpowered. Dmg ability for mains I believe grants you like 9% boost each and secondary's abilities give you 2.8% dmg. This can stack to 30% extra dmg. Now take a blaster for example. A near indirect hit gives out 99.9 dmg... stepping just a little bit on enemy ink (it's everywhere) is a insta kill I believe. Burst bombs can just be plan messy ounce they get close to you because they will just spin around you (and its hard to aim) with the bombs until you get splatted. Now adding dmg to burst bombs will increase a larger damage area for less effort kills (I'm talking to you E liters). Now this also takes out much less effort with the E liters standard. Now these are strong at far range, but with dmg up. Uhhh! They can wipe you out at both close and far range making it way too hard to even get close to them.

So really this dmg thing disapointed me because it makes weapon cons disapeard making it a overpowered and some what effortless weapon.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Looks like the majority of the people don't th ink dmg isn't really OP (must be my problem) ohh well. Now dmg stacking isn't the most op thing with some weapons like shooter weapins or weapons without burst bombs. Now here the thing of what makes me think it's Overpowered. Dmg ability for mains I believe grants you like 9% boost each and secondary's abilities give you 2.8% dmg. This can stack to 30% extra dmg. Now take a blaster for example. A near indirect hit gives out 99.9 dmg... stepping just a little bit on enemy ink (it's everywhere) is a insta kill I believe. Burst bombs can just be plan messy ounce they get close to you because they will just spin around you (and its hard to aim) with the bombs until you get splatted. Now adding dmg to burst bombs will increase a larger damage area for less effort kills (I'm talking to you E liters). Now this also takes out much less effort with the E liters standard. Now these are strong at far range, but with dmg up. Uhhh! They can wipe you out at both close and far range making it way too hard to even get close to them.

So really this dmg thing disapointed me because it makes weapon cons disapeard making it a overpowered and some what effortless weapon.
Someone is salty and decided to make a thread. Yes damage up is powerful, but it has already been nerfed to a reasonable point. One thing to keep in mind is that the more damage up someone stacks, the less of other abilities they can use. Complaining about something like this won't make you a better player, playing smarter and learning better maneuverability will. So I'd suggest you focus more mental efforts on "okay, how could I have avoided that?" rather than "omg another damage up stacker?! I keep getting splatted by them! They must be overpowered!!!"

NNID
Rave_Darkness
Well damage can only be stacked to the HTK point of a weapon. This is what evens the trait out in my opinion. It could get ba if this wasn't the case. Image the Aerospray or Splattershot with OHKO cause of damage up now that would be OP

NYCO

Inkling
NNID
NYCO27
Someone is salty and decided to make a thread. Yes damage up is powerful, but it has already been nerfed to a reasonable point. One thing to keep in mind is that the more damage up someone stacks, the less of other abilities they can use. Complaining about something like this won't make you a better player, playing smarter and learning better maneuverability will. So I'd suggest you focus more mental efforts on "okay, how could I have avoided that?" rather than "omg another damage up stacker?! I keep getting splatted by them! They must be overpowered!!!"
Well I this thread is pretty old and I actually got over it since I figured put the nature on how to get rid of them. I am getting better though. I'm just finding it crazy of how damage can buff up a weapon so high to the point that the cons are less pointable.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Well I this thread is pretty old and I actually got over it since I figured put the nature on how to get rid of them. I am getting better though. I'm just finding it crazy of how damage can buff up a weapon so high to the point that the cons are less pointable.
To be fair, the whole reason for ability usage is to minimize weaknesses. Just damage up does it in a more clear-cut way. "Ugh, that guy never runs out of ink he has too much ink efficiency!" or even "Gah, why won't that guy stay dead longer?! That's way too many quick respawn and quick super jump abilities!" I've noticed most people complain about something if they feel they're getting killed by it too much which isn't a good mentality to have. Anyways, have fun with Splatoon and focus on personal improvements rather than individual players or even bad matches.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
Actually, Damage Up has little to no effect on rollers, which rely on that 1HKO flick or squish. There isn't any list or documentation confirming that it widens the 1HKO radius, although it's quite possible it boosts indirect hit splash damage. Dynamos could be more feasible in this case, because they have such a large hitbox (not all of which 1HKOs), bits and pieces of upped damage could come into play more easily. In most cases though, Damage Up doesn't make or break attacks, because it can't effect minimum-hits-to-kill (refer here for an older discussion on the matter: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805617-splatoon/71991084).

But certain weapons can abuse it more than others. Excessive Damage Up stacking, particularly save-scumming, is a problem, I agree. But it's most commonly abused by E-Liters/Burst Bomb "mains." Chargers see the most notable differences with Damage Up, because it allows them to 1HKO with partially charged shots. And can add up to extremely rapid Burst Bomb kills. What would remedy this, I think, is not necessarily a nerf to Damage Up as a whole (since it's already very minimal in most cases and is mostly intended as a Defense Up counter), but a harsher cap on stacking and how said stacking effects certain weapons/kits. At a certain point, the boosts should negate completely because the player obviously isn't using legitimate tactics to get those rolls.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
I think damage up and defense up is a bit imbalanced like it only takes 1 or 2 damage up mains to cancel out 3 defense mains (depends on weapon if it is 1 or 2) Also 2 defense ups does not seem worth it, like if someone has 1 damage up to cancel a defense main effect, it also cancels out having 2 mains. (there is very specific blaster ranges where this is not true but it is very small differences)

I just wish it was a bit more simple, 1 damage up cancel 1 defense up, 2 defense up cancel 1 damage up (like scrubbershot with one damage up is 3 hits to 2 defense mains, but 4 hits to 3 defense mains.)

regardless there was changes to damage up effects and yes it effects rollers =.= but it is very specific positioning like blasters, some ..positions may be 3 splat turned into 2 because of damage up.

There is actually a good list of weapons that is effected by 3 defense mains, might be shocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom