Is defense up worth it?

nick2427

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CM86
I keep going back and forth on whether I want to run one defense up main ability or not. I more or less wanted people's opinions on it. Do you think it's worth having it in one main ability slot?

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
I've been wondering that myself! Just started trying to build an effective defense-up based ability set. Nintendome hasn't made a squid science video on it yet, so I'm not sure. I suppose I'll find out.

GreenSpiny

Full Squid
Same, it's so hard to tell whether defense up is effective. Yet it's still my go-to ability when I think I have enough move speed, ink, or damage for a weapon. I tend to stack 2 mains worth on some sets.

The most tangible benefit is surviving snipers' damage-boosted, partially charged shots. And burst bombs (those magic damage numbers :/). But otherwise, I never know if it actually helps.

BUT, if people think damage up is good, then defense up has value against every set that runs it. So there's that!

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
I suggest you use this guide to see how effective defense up is. http://squidboards.com/threads/how-to-calculate-ability-effects.8271/

Defense up works out to be about half as effective as damage up, meaning it does not counteract damage very well unless you are running a good amount of defense. And they have less damage up.

As for survivability it can potentially increase a shooters' number of shots required to kill by 1, but only if they aren't running damage up.

As for bombs it will make it so you can survive/take less damage at a closer radius to the explosion

In my opinion defense up should be used for those of whom need to flee frequently, or are constantly at a long range, as close range will lead to a quick death anyway.

Pitero

Inkling
I used to run a Defense Up focused build for quite some time and I really like this perk, but 1 slot of this ability is not enough. You won't even see any difference.

The key is to stack it and I'd reccomend at least 2, or (even better) 3 mains (or combined subs). Why? Because it's way too easy to counter just 1 and you'll find a lot of players with some random Damage Ups (you just need 2 subs to make it useless). Most of them are not prepared for 3x Defense Up tho and here comes your advantage.

Where I'd put it? On weapons that have the highest chance to trade, depend on RNG and/or have a slow fire rate - for example Gal .96.

Rael

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rael303
I tried some builds a bit and I don't think Def Up is useful enough (at least for me). It's very situational. And that extra hit Tentatek/52 has to land on you often doesn't even really matter. I actually think Quick Respawn is much a better ability because it makes you lose a lot less time when dying, and it also works against weapons that one shots (Chargers/Blaster), unlike stacking Def Ups.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
It doesn't affect every weapon and Swim Speed can get you away from shots faster + re-position faster so I think it's a really bad ability.

Zolda

Full Squid
I don't think Defense Up is really worth what it takes to make it effective. To get a tangible benefit out of it you need to stack it so much that it's taking up slots that could be used for much better abilities. I agree with two posters above that Quick Respawn and Swim Speed Up are much better options. Stacking a couple of Quick Respawns can majorly reduce your respawn time, which is a very valuable ability, especially in modes like TC where death is frequent.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
If your weapon gets into direct confrontation a lot, it might be helpful. Personally, I don't use it very much as it seems to be outclassed by other abilities.

Calamari

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Toowrighteous
1 main or 3 subs in Ranked. Why? Tentateks. 3 subs/1 main makes their 3 shot a 4 shot.

Chocolil

Inkling Cadet
NNID
EricirE

Probably would have been splatted had it not been for the Defense Up. But it was a lot of Defense Up too. 2 Main 6 Subs.
I believe Defense Up takes too many slots to be worthwhile but it has its uses. I've come to realize that taking no damage is better than tanking it. Swim Speed Up is quickly becoming my Defense Up.

ChibiDubtalia

Pro Squid
I tend to use defense up for weapons that already have high damage when I want to go confront face to face. Same for rollers and brushes to help me get away when they start to shoot. I don't use much defense up when I play with Haunt or Echolocator abilities, since I am more willing to take down for the team just to let them find opponents.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I feel it's only effective when you have a lot of it. Otherwise you may get out of a few scrapes, but it won't save you as much as you want. I used to rely on defense a lot more before deciding to go with focusing on strength, swim, and run speed.

The best weapons that I use that benefits from defense up, would be the krak-on roller, and the heavy splatling. Having defense allows me to survive and get a kill when someone gets too close to me. Having a lot of defense for super close range weapons like Aerosprays are nice, but I need strength up since it takes way too long to get a kill otherwise.

robosteven

Inkling
NNID
robosteven
IMHO the amount of slots you'd have to occupy with defense to get significant results instead of other things like Ink Resistance or Swim Speed Ups makes it not really worth it.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Defense up is only really worth it on the Dynamo roller. It wont save you from snipers, cjs or splatlings but it will make the lower range weapons need to 2 v 1 you which on certain maps/modes is key. In a tight space you only get 1 chance to make your shots and or its R I P or at most a trade with a defense up Dynamo. Even in a 2 v 1 situation you can manage to trade and kill both of them.

Krak-on rollers imho shouldn't run defense up. Its helpful, sure as it can secure a trade closer range if you are flanked or taken off guard. However, I believe its more useful to run quick respawns and quick SJs in order to take full advantage of beakon use.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425

Probably would have been splatted had it not been for the Defense Up. But it was a lot of Defense Up too. 2 Main 6 Subs.
I believe Defense Up takes too many slots to be worthwhile but it has its uses. I've come to realize that taking no damage is better than tanking it. Swim Speed Up is quickly becoming my Defense Up.
You only need a few subs to make defense up worthwhile.

OT: Imo, Japan is the only meta properly taking advantage of defense up which is also why i see some tentateks run morw than one damage up. This wqs a light analysis i did for my squad awhile back: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...xCbbpCzjIA5FAbg6YJoSF7I/edit?usp=docslist_api

I will also add that i have been survivng a decent number of snipes in solo rank when i run def up.

Chocolil

Inkling Cadet
NNID
EricirE
You only need a few subs to make defense up worthwhile.
While true the fact that Damage Up greatly outperforms Defense Up means you have to run more of it in the long run if that is why you were running Defense Up.
52 Gal and Splattershot only need 1 main and 3 subs to counter 3 Defense Main. That's crazy small amount of slots.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
While true the fact that Damage Up greatly outperforms Defense Up means you have to run more of it in the long run if that is why you were running Defense Up.
52 Gal and Splattershot only need 1 main and 3 subs to counter 3 Defense Main. That's crazy small amount of slots.
Yea...but few ppl run that. The majority run one main equivalent and some have gotten ballsy and run none since they assume nobody runs def up.

If the meta evolves where ppl start running def up and other players start running more damage up...then yes in the long run a greater invetment may be necessary and why i point to weapons that generally dont need heavy investments in certain abiltieis.

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro

This is pretty much the reason why I consider Defense Up non-viable, even in casual play. The only reason why you need to tank more damage is to protect something else far more important then you, like your teammate holding the Rainmaker. Otherwise it is just overall better to get Swim Speed Up, or even Ninja Squid. Evading blows is better then taking them nearly to the point of being splatted. I would say that basically sums up shooter games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom