• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Is Splatoon Dead? Yay or Nay?

Do you think Splatoon is dead?

• Yes

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • No

Votes: 47 94.0%

• Total voters

PyrexO2

Senior Squid
NNID
Ethan_Gaming_02
And hey to everyone that has commented or is looking on this page, do you guys want to play squad battes or private battles some time, i haven't been too active in the past month or too *cough World of Warcraft* *cough*, but i feel that lots of you seem like dedicated players that would be fun to play with so what do you say?

Brie_no.20

Senior Squid
NNID
belle-noire20
And hey to everyone that has commented or is looking on this page, do you guys want to play squad battes or private battles some time, i haven't been too active in the past month or too *cough World of Warcraft* *cough*, but i feel that lots of you seem like dedicated players that would be fun to play with so what do you say?
If you don't mind newbies playing with you, then I'm game.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Personally I think the community has very much so died out in comparison to how it started. There's still some, but it's nowhere near as strong as it could be or even comparable to other big games in the genre.

Nay, I say! But I can understand why most think it would be dead at this point.

1. The game started late into the system's lifespan, so not much would've been added to it like the others. Plus it's a new genre for Nintendo, and they don't have another game like it so some might get bored really quickly and go onto another game.

2. Splatfests have officially ended, and it's the reason why most even played the game to begin with. That, and the Snail Shells are basically gone. So a lot have lost interest, but the few who enjoy it outside of the big events will stay as long as the servors will be on. After all, the game has a huge thing for multiplayer and it can be played at any time. I just hope they add more to 'Splatoon 2' in the future, and expand on everything that was in the first (just PLEASE no handheld version!).

3. School just started for a lot of people, so they have less time to play. Then there are those who have actual jobs. This is probably a big reason along with the 2nd one.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
no, but it certainly doesn't help when they give **** stage rotations like right now.

TW: moray & hammerhead
SZ: flounder & museum

literally the 4 most annoying, least enjoyable stage/mode combos for me.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
no, but it certainly doesn't help when they give **** stage rotations like right now.

TW: moray & hammerhead
SZ: flounder & museum

literally the 4 most annoying, least enjoyable stage/mode combos for me.
TC HAMMER HEAD IS A SAINT!!! SZ MUSEUM ISN'T BAD EITHER TAKE IT B A C K!

CodyMKW

Pro Squid
NNID
CodyMKW
Switch Friend Code
SW-2549-4631-6600
no its more active since splatfest is gone

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Personally I think the community has very much so died out in comparison to how it started. There's still some, but it's nowhere near as strong as it could be or even comparable to other big games in the genre.
Well we're fans of a shooter on the WiiU. To me that's like a niche of a niche audience, so I'm not a believer that there were always a lot of us, let alone regularly playing it. Especially six months after anyone starts playing it.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I don't think that I ever thought of Splatoon as a shooter as much as another first-party Nintendo game, and I got it first and foremost because of that. In that sense, the double-niche doesn't apply so much. And compared to most other Nintendo games (other than Smash and MK8) on the Wii U, it has much more replay value.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I think one of Splatoon's main issues with a player-base is that it was simply released far too late. By the time Splatoon released on the Wii U... The console had already been judged by most people. It was already seen as not worth someone's money. While Splatoon has convinced many people to buy a Wii U, there are a lot of people stuck in the idea that the system simply isn't worth it. And I mean, in the end, it's not like they're completely wrong. This system isn't the best and the only game I even play on it is Splatoon. So I think Splatoon has lost a decent amount of players because people already judged the Wii U before it's release. If it gets a sequel on the NX, there's a big chance for the player base to grow because the NX will still be a new system and it could draw people to it.

When it comes to the competitive side of this game... Nintendo started caring a little bit too late. Nintendo Japan started caring very early on in the game's life span and has helped the competitive scene grow... In Japan. Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe started caring far too late. I mean... NoE is only beginning to care about the competitive scene over a year after the game was released. NoA still doesn't care at all apparently because they almost completely ignore the competitive side of this game. Up until now, European players had to keep the competitive scene going on their own until NoE started caring. As it stands, North American players have to keep the scene going on our own because NoA just...doesn't care. If the Western branches of Nintendo had begun caring about the competitive scene a bit earlier, it probably could have grown the scene quite a lot more than it has now. Just my opinion though. c:

Is Splatoon dead though? No. Not at all.

Our community has always been smaller than other shooters and frankly... It will probably be that way. There are many gamers who will always brush Nintendo off as "kiddie" and refuse to give Splatoon a try. That's just simple logic. I would say a small community is a sign of a dead community though. Whenever I play, I have no issue finding people to play with and I get a fair amount of Western players and Japanese players when playing with randoms. Tournaments are still happening and teams are still playing - volatile as the scene currently is. Nintendo doesn't think it's dead either. I mean... They continue to release more and more merchandise for the game so clearly... It can't be dead if this merchandise continues to be released and is getting bought fairly quickly.

Splatoon is a community based game and Nintendo continues to support the game. As long as Splatoon has community support and players, the game will continue on. The game dies when the community dies and the community is still very much alive.

Lyn

Premium
I think it would have had a much longer lasting large audience with more modes, there is only like 3 or 4, which all but one of are locked to ranked or custom games.

During the splatfests you couldn't even play these modes.

PyrexO2

Senior Squid
NNID
Ethan_Gaming_02
I think it would have had a much longer lasting large audience with more modes, there is only like 3 or 4, which all but one of are locked to ranked or custom games.

During the splatfests you couldn't even play these modes.
[Reply]
I think that definately is true, they do need more modes in splatoon because the 3 kinda get boring after a while, the stages are fine its just the modes that need to change or be added

PyrexO2

Senior Squid
NNID
Ethan_Gaming_02
I think one of Splatoon's main issues with a player-base is that it was simply released far too late. By the time Splatoon released on the Wii U... The console had already been judged by most people. It was already seen as not worth someone's money. While Splatoon has convinced many people to buy a Wii U, there are a lot of people stuck in the idea that the system simply isn't worth it. And I mean, in the end, it's not like they're completely wrong. This system isn't the best and the only game I even play on it is Splatoon. So I think Splatoon has lost a decent amount of players because people already judged the Wii U before it's release. If it gets a sequel on the NX, there's a big chance for the player base to grow because the NX will still be a new system and it could draw people to it.

When it comes to the competitive side of this game... Nintendo started caring a little bit too late. Nintendo Japan started caring very early on in the game's life span and has helped the competitive scene grow... In Japan. Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe started caring far too late. I mean... NoE is only beginning to care about the competitive scene over a year after the game was released. NoA still doesn't care at all apparently because they almost completely ignore the competitive side of this game. Up until now, European players had to keep the competitive scene going on their own until NoE started caring. As it stands, North American players have to keep the scene going on our own because NoA just...doesn't care. If the Western branches of Nintendo had begun caring about the competitive scene a bit earlier, it probably could have grown the scene quite a lot more than it has now. Just my opinion though. c:

Is Splatoon dead though? No. Not at all.

Our community has always been smaller than other shooters and frankly... It will probably be that way. There are many gamers who will always brush Nintendo off as "kiddie" and refuse to give Splatoon a try. That's just simple logic. I would say a small community is a sign of a dead community though. Whenever I play, I have no issue finding people to play with and I get a fair amount of Western players and Japanese players when playing with randoms. Tournaments are still happening and teams are still playing - volatile as the scene currently is. Nintendo doesn't think it's dead either. I mean... They continue to release more and more merchandise for the game so clearly... It can't be dead if this merchandise continues to be released and is getting bought fairly quickly.

Splatoon is a community based game and Nintendo continues to support the game. As long as Splatoon has community support and players, the game will continue on. The game dies when the community dies and the community is still very much alive.
[Reply]
Really in-depth analysis!
I think many of the points of things that you said are true, I think since the irl tournaments are practically non-existant, it is harder for a community to grow and be active, and it does have that curse of being released late. But hey at the end of the day it is the community that makes a game last so if we stay together and keep loving our game then hey.

lone

Inkster Jr.
NNID
loneotaku
Switch Friend Code
SW-1901-5583-6414
In a way yes, but also no.

It's dead in a sense that as interest in Wii U is definitely going to wane with the release of the NX, Splatoon Wii U will probably not see too many new players after next March. "Dead" in that the people who would want this game (potential Wii U owners) are probably going to fade out as a new, hopefully better console comes out.

However, as long as online support for the game continues, I don't think it will ever be truly dead. The esports community for it is strong, and it still has a pretty big following overall. So, just because Splatfests and new clothing/weapon updates are over, doesn't mean that the game is over. It's got a long life ahead of it.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
[Reply]
Really in-depth analysis!
I think many of the points of things that you said are true, I think since the irl tournaments are practically non-existant, it is harder for a community to grow and be active, and it does have that curse of being released late. But hey at the end of the day it is the community that makes a game last so if we stay together and keep loving our game then hey.
Unfortunately, Splatoon wasn't made with LAN connections in mind. :( I don't think Nintendo ever predicted that Splatoon would gain a competitive scene like it has. Sometimes, I wonder if the Wii U is made for LAN connections as well. o.O Due to the lack of LAN support, IRL tournaments are really rare. When SquidStorm happened, I heard that they had some trouble with the gamepads fritzing out from so many being in a room together but eventually got it sorted out. It's something that I really hope Nintendo fixes for the NX and for Splatoon's sequel. More IRL tournaments like we've seen in Japan would be really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom