• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Is Splatoon "Incomplete" at launch?

Clayton-D

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Clayton-D
As fun as the game is to play (having only played the test fire), I feel like the gaming community wouldn't be making the same concessions for another shooter if it were to ship with only 5 maps and 2 game modes with the rest of its content coming later. Are we being unfairly lenient towards Splatoon or do you really think the game is "complete" and all future updates are essentially extra?

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
I think the core of the game, the single player is all there...

If this game was released 10 years ago (with local subbed in for multi) we'd buy it without a second thought. This one is fine IMO. and since the updates are free I'm definitely not going to complain.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
I believe that they just want to slowly give players more and more and give people something to look forward to for whatever dumb reason. So, I'd say complete but being held back and instead being released as updates.
Apparently there are updates every week with maps and things. This is how we're getting the Brush, for instance.

I don't particularly like it but I guess this is how it is.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
We are being unfairly lenient but I'm still going to buy the game and enjoy it regardless. At least the content we're getting after launch is free so that softens the blow a tiny bit.

Clayton-D

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Clayton-D
I think the core of the game, the single player is all there...
This is what I'm thinking, too. The single player is there to be the meat and bones of the game.

Also (I just thought of this), since this is a BRAND new genre (or mix thereof) players will need time to adjust. The current release schedule is great for this type of thing. As people get better at the game, more and more will be released, and I think that will be great for the budding community.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Maybe slightly. I'm not sure. I don't think so, though.

CoopLan

Squid Streamer
NNID
LanceHS
I think since the updates will be coming fast and pretty often, the game is fine to be released in its current state.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
As much as people would like to ignore it, I do think that Splatoon is unintentionally incomplete. Considering the Wii U's state, and the lack of success in the recent titles that weren't Smash and Mario Kart, I feel like Nintendo NEEDED to have this game come out for the Wii U's Spring - Summer season. They don't really have another game to do that, and the only other big-name first-party title that we're aware of for this year is Star Fox since Zelda was delayed. Because of this they set an insane deadline on the game and EAD wasn't able to complete it. Feeling bad that they're releasing a $30 for $60 has led them to offer the rest of the content still in development across the time they complete it, which seemed very close.

That or they could just be morons who think that selling an incomplete game is okay.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
We're probably a biased bunch to ask lol. Personally I think the game feels reasonably complete for launch, though you can tell they really would have liked to have had stuff like the private lobbies ready for launch. Looking as it as a brand new IP I think it's got a solid amount of content, tho looking at it as a brand new Nintendo IP it is a little bit sparse. Still I think it's solid as is and will feel very complete when all the other stuff gets added in.

I am glad they decided to launch the game now and offer the stuff down the line for free rather than delaying the game for two months, this is definitely the way I prefer it.

Just A. Hunch

Inkster Jr.
I think that it is complete enough. I suspect the reason they are handling things the way they are is because they have put too much thought into every element of the game to just let it devolve into something analogous to no items, fox only, final destination matches. I would want every element of my game to shine too.

Do I have my doubts? Absolutely. But I'm not going to say that their approach is wrong before trying it out.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
It's ALRIGHT.
We get content on a biweekly basis though the summer and come August, it'll be a totally full game, and by the time rainmaker is released, with all the weapons, clothes and stages added, Splatoon will be worth way more than $60

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
There are plenty of people who think that the game is incomplete at launch. I would tend to agree with them, but it doesn't really bother me. They're putting the rest in through free updates. And I'd rather get most of the game earlier with the rest later than all of it later. But I can understand people's reservations about spending $60 for the game at launch

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
I think Nintendo got a bit carried away with the whole "releasing content over time" thing, as it worked so well for keeping people coming back to MK8 and Sm4sh. I can see why they did it though - if any game needs a strong player base, it's Splatoon.

We'll just have to wait and see how incomplete the game feels on launch day, but to me it looks like there will be more than enough content to make it worth the day 1 purchase. People have been comparing it to Titanfall, which is an online shooter that also released with bits missing and bored its players quickly as a result, but Splatoon is starting out with way more to do than Titanfall.

Geistbox

Full Squid
It's "incomplete" in the same way TF2 was incomplete during launch. It's an experience that's constantly being fine tuned and expanded. By those terms it's never really "complete", but it's equally fair to say that what we're getting at launch is technically "complete" as well.

The question is less when the game can be considered a complete game and more when you believe the game's feature set will have evolved enough to the point that you can justify the price point. The first month's worth of content is most likely already done and on the disc, waiting for timed unlocks so that the players can get time to adjust to the modes, maps and new tools. The following months are probably still in development.

Tophermonn

Inkling
NNID
Tophermonn
The game will definitely feel incomplete at launch knowing all the content that is to come. That being said, it is important to recognize the initiative that is being taken to have the game evolve with its player base. I'm sure that there could be more content included with the game on release but Nintendo is making a conscious decision to release more content at certain times. Hopefully this decision will only help grow and make the transition into this new meta smooth and fun.

EnderGamma

Senior Squid
NNID
EnderGamma
Wow I literally just made a video on this....

Short answer is yes I think it looks incomplete. Long answer is in the video.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
It's ALRIGHT.
We get content on a biweekly basis though the summer and come August, it'll be a totally full game, and by the time rainmaker is released, with all the weapons, clothes and stages added, Splatoon will be worth way more than $60
Considering it's Nintendo, that biweekly update is a pretty big if. I feel the game is incomplete, but I don't care, as long as the full thing comes out in August. Given this game was on a pretty crazy deadline, I'll be more lenient.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
I'm not one to get annoyed over things like this, whether it be Nintendo or any other company, as long as the game is good in its state on release, which it looks like it will be. I think it'll tide me over until the rest of the content drops.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
The game is incomplete at launch it was mostly due to avoid a delay. Glad it is getting updated but it is rough not being able to party up with friends until august.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
I think it is hard to quite judge it correctly because it is trying a different thing, it is updating constantly like a free-to-play game to increase engagement, but at the same time you are paying upfront for the game and updates. Yes the game will feel incomplete at launch, but on the other hand if you are in for the multiplayer you're in for the long run, so you won't miss the updates and they might even increase your interest and help you get even more out of the game.

Also I feel they aren't releasing incomplete just to meet a deadline, I think it is safe to assume the game is mostly complete and rolling out the features over time is a very conscious decision, if it was releasing in August it would still not have all the features. It's a plan to appeal to casuals, help the playerbase understand the game before rolling out the deeper features and keep interest high even over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom