• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Is Splatoon "Incomplete" at launch?

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
I think they definitely are not at the point in designing the game that they wanted to be at, but if the question is if the game will be playable and enjoyable, I think it will be. the testfire seemed enjoyable enough to last a few weeks for an update to be released, so the actual game will definitely be.

MrRoidley

Full Squid
I think it's incomplete, because of lack of matches with friends and certain weapons.
With that said, the updates in which they'll be added will be free, so I'm fine with it. I think in this case, it's better to release it early than delay it.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
We also have to remember that if Nintendo released the full game, we probably wouldn't be seeing it until august. I'm fine with getting it in May, i just wish we could host private rooms.

Flakk

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Magolorthegreat
It's incomplete, I don't mind the lack of maps/modes, as the game looks to have a pretty complex system due to the wide variety of weapons and the unusual ruleset so the playstyle at launch is going to be pretty much complete chaos until people realise the basics of actually winning games so the less maps the more easily people learn and I think Nintendo to an extent know this.

The whole no ranked teams at lanch + sometimes have to fight friends in a party however is inexcusable. The idea of a 50/50 play with or fight a friend mode is great but not making it mandatory. I can see why there is no ranked duoing though, the ability to communicate though teamspeak or skype in a no communication game would be unfair.

Shiranui

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shiranui
I'm being lenient because this isn't the fifth game in the franchise and it's all coming free anyways. If we get a new map and weapon each week or so, I won't complain.

Crusty Ramboseus

Senior Squid
NNID
Ramboseus
It's incomplete, I don't mind the lack of maps/modes, as the game looks to have a pretty complex system due to the wide variety of weapons and the unusual ruleset so the playstyle at launch is going to be pretty much complete chaos until people realise the basics of actually winning games so the less maps the more easily people learn and I think Nintendo to an extent know this.

The whole no ranked teams at lanch + sometimes have to fight friends in a party however is inexcusable.
Actually that is quite excusable! This is a brand new IP from Nintendo and a lot of Nintendo fans won't have experience with shooters. If a bunch of friends that were already experienced in the shooter genre got together and stayed on a team for 3 hours wrecking people, how many people would they ruin the game for? What we need to do is think about how Nintendo is trying to make this game to appeal to everyone! Even the people who don't have a lot of experience with shooters, to have a fair chance at getting online with this game and enjoying it as if it's just another Nintendo game.

On another note, I think yes, they're giving us a full game. Keep in mind, this game didn't have to be based around multiplayer at all lol. They could have released the game with the single player mode and said, "There ya go folks! Enjoy Splatoon!" because God knows that we have probably seen full games that are even shorter than Splatoon's single player. So quit being a bunch of whiny babies.

Bonzi77

Huge Memer
NNID
Bonzi77
Actually that is quite excusable! This is a brand new IP from Nintendo and a lot of Nintendo fans won't have experience with shooters. If a bunch of friends that were already experienced in the shooter genre got together and stayed on a team for 3 hours wrecking people, how many people would they ruin the game for? What we need to do is think about how Nintendo is trying to make this game to appeal to everyone! Even the people who don't have a lot of experience with shooters, to have a fair chance at getting online with this game and enjoying it as if it's just another Nintendo game.

On another note, I think yes, they're giving us a full game. Keep in mind, this game didn't have to be based around multiplayer at all lol. They could have released the game with the single player mode and said, "There ya go folks! Enjoy Splatoon!" because God knows that we have probably seen full games that are even shorter than Splatoon's single player. So quit being a bunch of whiny babies.
Heyheyhey, maybe let's go easy on the name calling. While I don't agree personally that Splatoon will be released as an unfinished product, I do agree that it's been a bit odd that they're releasing so much stuff after the release that could have easily been included in the launch. The most perplexing thing to me is the inclusion of stuff like this in advertisements, most blatantly the Paintbrush weapon, which Nintendo has stated will be a weapon that will be released post-launch.

Crusty Ramboseus

Senior Squid
NNID
Ramboseus
Hey, you know I say? We should all be thankful that they aren't including it at launch and then charging for all this content a month afterwards XD

As gamers we all know that has been an issue with Sony and Microsoft in the past but Nintendo never gave us these predicament situations. I'm fine with all they're giving us right now. I'm going to buy the game, get the amiibo, enjoy the game, and hope this IP lives on to see a Sequel possibly! :D

Lefty

Nice la~
I'd say we're unfairly lenient, but like many others have already said, we're going to be getting a lot of updates that are free to make up for it. I don't even care that much, I'm all in it for the main mode, so the updates are a dessert to me.

EsoTeRiC

Inkster Jr.
There could definitely be a bit more content ya but the game play and being able to customize your squid seal the deal for me. Also, I see this as a game i'll be actively playing on a regular basis along with ninja gaiden razors edge and smash wiiu :). If it were any other game I don't think i'd be so lenient(I kinda really like squids)

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well, I think it is no question the game is incomplete as there are some very big modes that are being left out for future updates.

However, the more important question is of course does it matter? After all, there is still a fun single player and two fun online multiplayer options available at launch. Quite a bit of gear and weapons to unlock and the game is being updated regularly right from the start.

Honestly, I think it is almost worth the $60 at launch, most likely not quite, but the promise of updates make it worth it to me as in not care.

I hope their strategy of keeping interest over time works out for them.

Jawson

Inkling
NNID
Nukingsman
Are 5 maps not enough for a game like this? o_O

I played TF2 for years and all I did was play as the Heavy Weapons Guy on the 2Fort and Goldrush maps. :confused:

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
it's incomplete but i wouldn't wait till august to purchase it as the skill gap (playing at launch vs 2 months later) and item acquisition will put new players pretty far behind. i am going to play the hell out of it and enjoy every dollar spent. if i get 200+ hours of enjoyment out of a shooter it usually justifies the purchase. i know i will personally have 600+ in Splatoon.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
It's 'complete' but it may not be enough for a lot of people. It's a good thing more content is coming. If they were to make it more 'complete', we'd never see the game till August.

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
I think they are intentionally releasing things slowly. This game is very strange the way they explained it in the direct the purpose for releasing these other stages later was to let players get more accustomed to the concept before diving into more difficult levels and game modes.

From what I've seen the levels and weapons they've revealed seem like they are already complete.

Of course though my assumptions could be wrong.

Clayton-D

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Clayton-D
I think they are intentionally releasing things slowly. This game is very strange the way they explained it in the direct the purpose for releasing these other stages later was to let players get more accustomed to the concept before diving into more difficult levels and game modes.

From what I've seen the levels and weapons they've revealed seem like they are already complete.

Of course though my assumptions could be wrong.
That's definitely a part of it. I think that if it were ready, then it would most definitely be on the disk. It seems that a Spring release is more important than having everything on the disk at launch.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
I'd only call it incomplete if we weren't getting everything we were promised. Instead, Nintendo is being rather upfront about what's in the game at launch and what's coming in the months after.

Someone could easily say the game isn't worth the price at launch (to which I'd disagree), but calling it incomplete simply wouldn't be accurate.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
It's a new IP and in my opinion Nintendo is trying a new approach in releasing content to give their titles longer legs to help fill the gaps between titles on Wii U.

KurashiDragon

Full Squid
NNID
KurashiDragon
I'm more worried than aggitated at the lack of content initially. I like the game for what it is and I know that more content is coming and it'll come quickly. It's because of this that I'm not planning on taking the game seriously; at least initially. I'm worried though, because there seems to be so little to the game right now that it might cause reduce points for reviews which might turn people off the game without giving it a chance. The lack of content might turn it into a flop. I'm still planning on getting the game. I'm ok with the lack of content as explained earlier in the post. I'm more concerned with what other people think of the lack of content and how that will affect the game initially.

Then again, I'm noticing a lot of similarities between Splatoon and Evolve. There was alot of hype for the game but barely any content was actually released for evolve initially. Not only that but pretty much all the relevant DLC for evolve is stuff you have to pay for (I don't know if you have to pay for it all) while Splatoon's DLC is free. I feel like making that clear wont alienate people nearly as much as evolve did. (I was a bit hype for Evolve. It looked cool but when I heard of the lack of content in a game that was full retail and payed DLC to basically give you what you were supposed to have in the first place,....... it's just not something you should do -_-)

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
I wouldn't necessarily call it incomplete, but lacking. I'm sure a couple of pieces of the free DLC weren't finished in time, given the fact we saw the one new weapon and I believe we could see thumbnails of two or three of the free maps coming after launch, so I guess you could say it'll be 90% complete by launch, but still. Lacking seems more appropriate to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom