• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Is "squidbagging" ethical?

Trent

Senior Squid
NNID
Trentz
The ethical considerations of "squidbagging" in Splatoon 3, or any online multiplayer game, are subjective and depend on individual perspectives and community norms within the game. "Squidbagging" typically refers to repeatedly dipping in and out of squid form over an opponent's splatted inkling as a form of taunting or disrespect.

Some players may view it as unsportsmanlike behavior that can be seen as disrespectful or in poor taste, while others may see it as harmless fun or a way to express themselves within the game. Ultimately, whether squidbagging is considered ethical or not may vary based on the cultural norms and expectations within the Splatoon 3 community. It's important for players to be mindful of how their actions may be perceived by others and to respect the enjoyment and experience of fellow players.

Cyren

Inkling
NNID
Cyren666
Switch Friend Code
SW-1426-5949-5681
Ugh, seriously?! Can we please play the game without resorting to spawn camping? It's so frustrating to constantly get taken out right as I respawn. It's not even giving us a chance to contribute to the match. Can we all just play fair and enjoy the game without resorting to these tactics? It's taking the fun out of it for everyone.

8bitfusion

Inkster Jr.
NNID
8bitfusion
Cooking style:
  • Quick and easy: If you're short on time, consider crispy salt and pepper squid or a simple squid stir-fry.
  • More involved: For a fancier experience, try grilled squid with charred lemon and caper dressing, or a flavorful squid masala.
  • Comfort food: Indulge in classic fried calamari with marinara sauce or a creamy squid ink pasta.

Flavor profile:
  • Mediterranean: Explore garlic lemon butter squid or Greek-style stuffed squid.
  • Asian: Opt for spicy Szechuan squid or a savory Thai squid salad.
  • Cajun: Go bold with blackened squid or a spicy Creole stew.

Additional considerations:
  • Fresh vs. frozen: Fresh squid will have the best texture, but frozen can be a convenient alternative. Just make sure to thaw it properly.
  • Cleaning: Cleaning squid can be intimidating, but there are plenty of online tutorials to help you through the process. Alternatively, you can ask your fishmonger to do it for you.

Trent

Senior Squid
NNID
Trentz
Ultimately, whether spawncamping is considered acceptable or not can vary depending on the context, community norms, and individual perspectives within the gaming community. Some game developers may implement measures to discourage or prevent spawncamping in their games to promote a more balanced and enjoyable experience for all players.

Cyren

Inkling
NNID
Cyren666
Switch Friend Code
SW-1426-5949-5681
Seriously, can we cut out the constant squidbagging? It's beyond irritating and completely disrespectful. I'm here to enjoy the game, not deal with unnecessary taunts. It's ruining the experience for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Let's focus on playing the game and show some basic sportsmanship. If this continues, it's just going to drive people away from enjoying the game altogether.

Trent

Senior Squid
NNID
Trentz
i like to squid bag and go flopflopflopflop when i kill someone 5 times in a row woomy woomy woomy
I agree

Seriously, can we cut out the constant squidbagging? It's beyond irritating and completely disrespectful. I'm here to enjoy the game, not deal with unnecessary taunts. It's ruining the experience for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Let's focus on playing the game and show some basic sportsmanship. If this continues, it's just going to drive people away from enjoying the game altogether.
I agree

Suchi

The Eternal Dualie Squelchers User
Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-3685-3474-1994
I see squidbagging no different from taunting in a fighting game. That's really all it is. You can taunt to be funny or to be toxic. My advice is that getting mad over it is exactly what the squidbagger wants. Don't give them that. Stay focused on the match, and be the better player.

Spawn camping is also a part of the game too. And unfortunately it's the most prevalent in the most casual game mode which is Turf War. Once a team takes control of the map and paints over it, there is nothing else to do except run out the clock getting splats. Spawn camping is way less of an issue in ranked mode because if the situation resorts to that, the game has already snowballed to the point of a KO. Turf War doesn't have KOs, so a bad match can just be three minutes of misery compared to a bad ranked match which is 30 seconds. Spawn camping is more of a "don't hate the player, hate the game" situation because Turf War encourages it way more than the other modes.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I sense memes are happening here but idk what's going on so I'll give a serious reply anyway.

In a competitive environment, you play to win. I come from a fighting game background, and I primarily play zoners, which can bring out a lot of salt in opponents. I'm relying on that salt. If you can't get past my projectiles, I'll keep throwing more. The longer I keep you out, the more frustrated you're going to get, and your impatience will lead to you making even bigger mistakes I can really blow you up for.

However, Squidbagging doesn't serve any competitive purpose, it's just a way to be rude for the sake of being rude. If anything, you're actually being counterproductive wasting time after a kill, knock it off and go be useful. It's not the same thing as frustrating your opponent with plays that are actually real plays, they just also happen to be frustrating plays.

There's a difference between playing like an ******* because you want to win, and playing like an ******* because... you just want to be an *******. Don't just be mean to be mean.

Joy

Data Nerd
Premium
NNID
joythegreat
Squidbagging is whatever, it’s a metastrategy that only works when someone allows it to work. There’s an argument to be made about it being poor sportsmanship but since matchmaking is all about Ws and not about reputation, it’s a zero-consequence metastrategy that will probably improve your winrate by a non-insignificant amount.

Easiest way to combat it is just to ignore it, they’re trying to get you to tilt. Strengthen your mental.

You’ll have a very hard time defending the ethics of squidbagging though, I can’t think of an ethical framework that lessens the moral responsibility of a competitor for exploiting the opponent’s weak mental. Probably closest I can think of is if you take a social contract approach, and Nintendo’s failure to uphold the social contract by making squidbagging a mechanic that’s consequence-free will absolve some of (but not all) the responsibility of a squidbagger. Anything else I can think of will absolutely not allow squidbagging, with deontology in particular condemning it with no uncertain terms lol.

Last edited:

arias

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
she/her or he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2421-7847-3701
i feel like if you see squidbagging as disrespectful thats on you

like others are saying, it only works when you let it work. simply ignore it and itll mean nothing
the opponent is essentially wasting time they could be using to position or something else..... it also leaves you vulnerable lol ive died doing it and ive splatted people doing it too, you dont have to take it that seriously lol

BlipBlob

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-3737-9862-5975
I see squidbagging as a kind of celebration, so I don't mind bagging at the end of a match or when someone pulled of a good or funny kill (think 360° or charger tap shot kill). Taunting can be fun if it's in the right context.
That said, when players overuse it it's just kind of weird. Like yeah you got me, what are you celebrating, is it that special to you? 😅

PikaCress

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
She/Her
NNID
pocketrocket421
Switch Friend Code
SW-8251-0155-9628
The ethical considerations of "squidbagging" in Splatoon 3, or any online multiplayer game, are subjective and depend on individual perspectives and community norms within the game. "Squidbagging" typically refers to repeatedly dipping in and out of squid form over an opponent's splatted inkling as a form of taunting or disrespect.

Some players may view it as unsportsmanlike behavior that can be seen as disrespectful or in poor taste, while others may see it as harmless fun or a way to express themselves within the game. Ultimately, whether squidbagging is considered ethical or not may vary based on the cultural norms and expectations within the Splatoon 3 community. It's important for players to be mindful of how their actions may be perceived by others and to respect the enjoyment and experience of fellow players.
Honestly? It depends on what context its used in. If someone is squidbagging after getting a kill, to me it is considered unsportsmanlike behavior. However if it is in the context of a squid party, then it is considered harmless fun. A way to show friendliness or as an alternative of putting your hands up, (as you cannot do that gesture in-game) to show that you mean no harm. That you wish to join the ongoing squid party. Is squidbagging ethical? Depends on the context.

Trent

Senior Squid
NNID
Trentz
theres a technique to how fast you can squidbag imo

should we ban turbo buttons because people squidbag too fast? might be something to consider

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom