Is "squidbagging" ethical?

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728
Ugh, seriously?! Can we please play the game without resorting to spawn camping? It's so frustrating to constantly get taken out right as I respawn. It's not even giving us a chance to contribute to the match. Can we all just play fair and enjoy the game without resorting to these tactics? It's taking the fun out of it for everyone.
I mean it's something that the other team may need to do to secure the win. You can't blame people for wanting to win. If they don't push their advantages, they run the risk of getting spawncamped themselves.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Man, I can't believe squidbagging ever bothered me years ago. This is probably bait, but sure, I'll take the opportunity to ramble for a moment.

"If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him." A phrase that's been around since before any of us were born. If you're of a mindset that can be affected by taunts, and your opponent taunts you in a competitive game, you deserve whatever happens next, especially if there isn't a rule. 9 years later, Nintendo's never given us a concrete stance on bagging. Save the outrage for actual offenses, like throwers. Mind games are inherent to every competitive game, and that comes in all kinds of forms, like Missingno playing zoners and punishing mistakes brought on by irritation, for example.

Bits

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2573-6331-5817
I'll squidbag when I get a solo wipeout (you cant not expect me to its a solo wipeout) or at the end of a match if I know we win, or if a weapon is bugging me all game and I manage to keep killing them just to add salt to the wound, mostly do it in anarchy open as its not super serious.

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
Teabagging and in turn, squidbagging is a mental game. If being squidbagged makes you play worse, then you lost the mental game. If you get mad or annoyed over it, and it frustrates you, then you've lost the mental game. All it is, is mental warfare. Gotta be mentally stronger than the opponent and those who get upset over squidbagging, aren't mentally stronger.

dabearsss

Inkster Jr.
It's a risk vs reward thing if you wanna use it as a head game strategy. If you can get in your opponents head then its good but otherwise you're wasting time by not painting/fighting.

NecoConeco

Semi-Pro Squid
it needs to be banned. can you imagine seeing someone do something similar in chess? curling?? even football has banned celebrations on the field. it's about time we do too.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
it needs to be banned. can you imagine seeing someone do something similar in chess? curling?? even football has banned celebrations on the field. it's about time we do too.
Do you have plans for banning taunts from every single competitive game? No? Comparing video games and actual sports doesn't really work.

dabearsss

Inkster Jr.
How would you go about banning squidbagging? Switching from kid to squid is pretty crucial to the game, so there's no much they can do to actually remove it. If people want to waste their time by not painting and fighting let them. It's actually giving your team more of an advantage than if they kept playing after.

NecoConeco

Semi-Pro Squid
How would you go about banning squidbagging? Switching from kid to squid is pretty crucial to the game, so there's no much they can do to actually remove it. If people want to waste their time by not painting and fighting let them. It's actually giving your team more of an advantage than if they kept playing after.
you're right. ive changed my mind. squidbagging rules.

plus watching Magnus carlesen do orange justice after a match would be so sick so in retrospect I was always wrong.

PurpleN

Inkling
Pronouns
any
Switch Friend Code
SW-6373-3404-6327
i mean i used to squidbag screen players as a "screw you" before the special was updated, but that was all for me
i dont think it should be something people care about though, its so minor and not worth getting mad over imo

s9221300

Inkling Commander
WE ARE PLAYING A SQUID INK GAME MADE BY NINTENDO THIS IS NOT THE MLS! (imo) (MLS Major league splatoon)

Last edited:
Switch Friend Code
SW-5925-4935-7968
Ugh, seriously?! Can we please play the game without resorting to spawn camping? It's so frustrating to constantly get taken out right as I respawn. It's not even giving us a chance to contribute to the match. Can we all just play fair and enjoy the game without resorting to these tactics? It's taking the fun out of it for everyone.
spawn camping is how you win you want to let the opponents do a little as possible while holding objective

Power

Inkling Commander
It’s takes like these that make me lose faith in the competitive player base. Lebron James wouldn’t complain about getting spawn camped in basketball.

nineball

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
in my opinion, squidbagging, at least in the context of taunting an enemy you've splatted, is generally a bad idea.

tl;dr: it makes you play worse.

how? first off, you are not taking advantage of the splat you've just got. sure, you might be only spamming the zl button for a second or two, but that time could be spent pushing the objective, moving the frontline forward, painting, or even just assessing the game state in general. in this game, a few seconds can mean the difference between spotting a charged trizooka special and only just spotting the rocket that is fired from it and not being able to run away in time. oof 😐

spreading negativity in general can also make you play worse. even if you don't feel it consciously, negativity can really affect how well you play. i used to be quite a toxic player a few years back, and looking back, i was a really bad player in general. when i actually noticed this and started catching myself being mean, i started improving much faster, then it all snowballed from there.

also, when i was climbing the ranks in x battle, from 1500XP to 2k+, the higher ranked i was, the less squidbagging i saw. this might be anecdotal, but good players just don't squidbag all that often.

if you are the subject of being squidbagged, squidbagging back can also negatively affect you for the same reasons up above. again, negativity just makes you play worse in general. if you find yourself being affected by squidbagging, or just tilting in general, taking a minute after the game to just walk around the house can really help alleviate tilt. this actually works for most frustrating problems in general, surprisingly enough!

if you are unwilling to read all that, i'd at least watch gem's video on the topic. i think his video has many good points, and he also goes over the community aspect of the problem.

this post was written with this gif on screen at all times. i dont like negativity that much, although i think i got a lot of value from this thread, even if the initial post seems baity and, upon closer inspection, kind of reeks of chatgpt ;)

Trent

Senior Squid
NNID
Trentz
in my opinion, squidbagging, at least in the context of taunting an enemy you've splatted, is generally a bad idea.

tl;dr: it makes you play worse.

how? first off, you are not taking advantage of the splat you've just got. sure, you might be only spamming the zl button for a second or two, but that time could be spent pushing the objective, moving the frontline forward, painting, or even just assessing the game state in general. in this game, a few seconds can mean the difference between spotting a charged trizooka special and only just spotting the rocket that is fired from it and not being able to run away in time. oof 😐

spreading negativity in general can also make you play worse. even if you don't feel it consciously, negativity can really affect how well you play. i used to be quite a toxic player a few years back, and looking back, i was a really bad player in general. when i actually noticed this and started catching myself being mean, i started improving much faster, then it all snowballed from there.

also, when i was climbing the ranks in x battle, from 1500XP to 2k+, the higher ranked i was, the less squidbagging i saw. this might be anecdotal, but good players just don't squidbag all that often.

if you are the subject of being squidbagged, squidbagging back can also negatively affect you for the same reasons up above. again, negativity just makes you play worse in general. if you find yourself being affected by squidbagging, or just tilting in general, taking a minute after the game to just walk around the house can really help alleviate tilt. this actually works for most frustrating problems in general, surprisingly enough!

if you are unwilling to read all that, i'd at least watch gem's video on the topic. i think his video has many good points, and he also goes over the community aspect of the problem.

this post was written with this gif on screen at all times. i dont like negativity that much, although i think i got a lot of value from this thread, even if the initial post seems baity and, upon closer inspection, kind of reeks of chatgpt ;)
naw squidbagging makes me stronger

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom