• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Is the Dual Squelcher Simply a Better N-Zap 85?

Random Robot

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AidanZam
What makes the Gal weapons so good at strafing is that put down ink very consistently. You can walk sideways and create this solid block of ink. Some weapons like Splash and Splattershot can do it effectively as well, but the NZap leaves gaps because the splashes are too small and spread out. That's why I'm not fond of it.
First of all, the N-ZAP has the same accuracy as the .52 and Splattershot.

How exactly does faster firing speed not make up for it's smaller splashes? And what makes the .52 more consistent? We're talking about covering turf, not combat, right?

Wi-fi Calcium

Inkster Jr.
NNID
gabby14
I use both weapons a lot and always switch between the two depending on the situation. Both are very good at spraying the ground and splatting opposing players as soon as you see them. Which one I find better depends on the mode and map. N Zap 85' is very good in Tower Control.

Box

Pro Squid
First of all, the N-ZAP has the same accuracy as the .52 and Splattershot.

How exactly does faster firing speed not make up for it's smaller splashes? And what makes the .52 more consistent? We're talking about covering turf, not combat, right?
It's not about accuracy. It's about randomness in how the splashes come down. With the 52 gal you've got 3 splashes between your gun and the bullet's destination and more importantly the distance between the splashes are smaller. So for every shot you have a pretty good idea of where the splashes will land. With the NZap you might get twice as many shots but the distances between splashes are larger. Since each shot places splashes randomly, the NZap has less consistency overall. This is in addition to the fact that whether you get 1 or 2 splashes is random.

The effect is even more pronounced with the 96 gal. Its splashes are even larger than those of the 52 so the gaps are even smaller. I'm sure the people who have used it notice how effective it is at laying down solid sheets of ink even though it isn't the fastest weapon at charging special.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The effect is even more pronounced with the 96 gal. Its splashes are even larger than those of the 52 so the gaps are even smaller. I'm sure the people who have used it notice how effective it is at laying down solid sheets of ink even though it isn't the fastest weapon at charging special.
From experience with the .96 Gal, I tend to have a hard time inking ground with it. It could be due to the higher ink consumption, but I usually only pick it if I know I have to constantly splat enemies (and that was before the Splatlings came out), while I stick to a faster firing weapon when I consider I can claim turf without much trouble (or if I'm going to be forced to trade ink with the enemy). I'll take a wild guess and say that the splashes are bigger since you're shooting more ink at once and to keep the gun from being completely unable to reliably paint

Box

Pro Squid
From experience with the .96 Gal, I tend to have a hard time inking ground with it. It could be due to the higher ink consumption, but I usually only pick it if I know I have to constantly splat enemies (and that was before the Splatlings came out), while I stick to a faster firing weapon when I consider I can claim turf without much trouble (or if I'm going to be forced to trade ink with the enemy). I'll take a wild guess and say that the splashes are bigger since you're shooting more ink at once and to keep the gun from being completely unable to reliably paint
It's some of both. The 96 gal has bigger splashes to compensate its firing rate, but it's also better at inking than many other shooters. The fact that there are so many different variables that affect inking is what makes it hard to say for sure which ones are better. Even so I think we can get a general idea and I think that the NZap comes up short.

Random Robot

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AidanZam
It's not about accuracy. It's about randomness in how the splashes come down. With the 52 gal you've got 3 splashes between your gun and the bullet's destination and more importantly the distance between the splashes are smaller. So for every shot you have a pretty good idea of where the splashes will land. With the NZap you might get twice as many shots but the distances between splashes are larger. Since each shot places splashes randomly, the NZap has less consistency overall. This is in addition to the fact that whether you get 1 or 2 splashes is random.

Interesting, I didn't realize that's what you meant. Now I understand what you mean, but I'm still not convinced that they're better than the N-ZAP for covering turf. I'll have to test this more when I get the chance. Thank you for the helpful explanation, though.

SafetyPoncho

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SafetyPoncho
I use an nzap and my friend used the gal for a while, we relied on me to cover turf for us. It did take me a while to learn how to cover a block of turf quickly tho, you really have to use the angle and the fire rate to your advantage, but it isn't that hard.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Dual is better. Sure N Zap may be able to kill quicker at a closer range but if you are playing Dual you should not be playing close range, you should be playing mid range. Think of it not in terms of N Zap vs Dual but weapon catalog vs Dual or N Zap in battle. N Zaps may have a quick firing rate but there are other, more accurate, shorter ranged weapons with faster ttk that can take it out faster in close ranged play. Not that users cannot be successful with the gun but it takes more maneuvering and handling to do so then guns that either out-range it with slower ttk or guns of closer range with faster ttk. It is in this odd category of close-mid range, but not fully mid range nor really close range either.

In all situations N Zap needs to have the initiative on the enemy as well as map control (which granted echolocator does help). But with it's narrow firing path it is too easy to out maneuver the N Zap if the enemy is surrounded by their own ink. Honestly this is why NZap is getting movement buff later today with V2,2 update its one strength over most is its firing mobility. However it is honestly out-preformed by the tenatatek in the majority of situations due to ttek's accurate suction bomb in order to cut off N Zap's movement paths and more consistency and damage in shots fired. TTek also does the same with Dual close range but, as I said before, you should not be playing in ttek's range anyway. The N Zap's splat bomb is only useful when an enemy is stuck or distracted and not a very good spacer nor panic button for close range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom