• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Is the Ink-chu too powerful?

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph

• Can be used to give you and your team a really long ink trail to get right into the action, you recover the ink lost while following it
  • Fast start-up, homing, instant kill

What are your thoughts?

I don't have the game, so I can't make a full judgment about it, but it definitely seems really powerful to me. Maybe it'd be more balanced to have it not one-shot people?

° Moteki

¤MÆL°
NNID
Shoctopus
I believe it's extremely good but the whole " too powerful " thing isn't what i'm thinking. All kits have some good perks/pros to it. This kit has the Ink-chu. It's not unavoidable, so once you know the ins and outs it shouldn't be that unbearable.

Gsnap

Full Squid
NNID
FJUrban
It's not super fast and it makes noise as it approaches. We'll see how it plays out.

doop

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Elias56
it seems good enough for laying down paths of ink, however i think it is really easy to avoid. i mean it would be good to lay it down in enemy territory. You would have a path of ink to swim across and maybe take down enemies, but since you are in enemy territory your path will get inked over rather quickly

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
It doesn't travel that fast, but it's pretty much an instant start-up, so it seems like it'd be really hard to react quick enough and avoid it if you were close to someone who used it

DNE

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DNEatm
Squid Form and/or proper usage of cover keeps it in check. And they shouldn't be able to get close to you if you're paying attention. It is going to be really good at killing bad players though.

In higher level play it will be a good zoning tool though; forces you to spend time not getting hit for a bit which lets the weapons that have it (short ranged weapons like the Aerospray MG are the things that get it), close the gaps against longer ranged attackers especially because of the path it lays, which is definitely some interesting counterplay to what normally makes short-ranged guns sub-optimal in competitive play.

Kairo

Pro Squid
NNID
smartmadboy
Doesn't look too powerful, but will probably be pretty good overall in my opinion.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Squid Form and/or proper usage of cover keeps it in check. And they shouldn't be able to get close to you if you're paying attention. It is going to be really good at killing bad players though.

In higher level play it will be a good zoning tool though; forces you to spend time not getting hit for a bit which lets the weapons that have it (short ranged weapons like the Aerospray MG are the things that get it), close the gaps against longer ranged attackers especially because of the path it lays, which is definitely some interesting counterplay to what normally makes short-ranged guns sub-optimal in competitive play.
I agree with this to 105%.
The setback with is that it might only be useful on certain stages that allows long open areas or simple passageways that's easy to navigate with it, and on other stages which have different elevations from one section to another may just ruin the whole use of it, so it seems that one specific set of gears and weapon setup may not be good on the other ones.

I think this will make and force many unexperienced and experienced players alike to change weaponry time by time, when the stages shuffles every four hours.
The diversity of this game is just getting deeper and deeper.

So one type of weapon is OP on some stages, and somewhat useless on others, nice balance!

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I agree with this to 105%.
The setback with is that it might only be useful on certain stages that allows long open areas or simple passageways that's easy to navigate with it, and on other stages which have different elevations from one section to another may just ruin the whole use of it, so it seems that one specific set of gears and weapon setup may not be good on the other ones.

I think this will make and force many unexperienced and experienced players alike to change weaponry time by time, when the stages shuffles every four hours.
The diversity of this game is just getting deeper and deeper.

So one type of weapon is OP on some stages, and somewhat useless on others, nice balance!
Being op even like that isn't good balance at all.

That means, certain stages could be useless.

But of course, it isn't op even on certain stages. It makes a noise to let people know when it is coming and it probably is avoidable. You can also probably shoot it with ink to destroy it.

It doesn't travel that fast, but it's pretty much an instant start-up, so it seems like it'd be really hard to react quick enough and avoid it if you were close to someone who used it
Thanks to loadouts being the same except for branded weapons (which aren't many), you can reasonably expect if they have a seeker or not at high levels of play. Meaning you can expect when to get close to them or not.

Teddy

Senior Squid
NNID
EggplantAlloy
It looks useful but I wouldn't call it overpowered. Its killing capability seems very situation dependent.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I think it depends somewhat on how much ink it takes to use, since something like the splatter bombs can splat multiple people at once for a only a decent chunk of ink. I also think just swimming up a wall would stop it entirely, tho that's dependent on having a wall nearby. One of the test videos I saw seemed to show that it does less damage the further it travels, tho it seemed like even at max range it'd still one shot someone.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
I don't think it's overpowered at all. With the amount of mobility in this game it should be relatively easy to dodge once people get the movement mechanics down. If somebody gets close enough to you to insta-kill you with it, well, you would be pretty dead anyway if you let somebody get that close to you no matter what sub weapon they had. It seems to compliment the shorter range weapons pretty well like DNE said, honestly it seems like Nintendo really knows what they are doing with these loadout combinations.

CoryInTheBoards

Banned (6 points)
I don't think it will be too powerful. Useful, especially with the shorter-ranged weapons it's paired with. It also looks pretty useful for the rollout at the beginning of the match, assuming you have a straight line to go in and it moves faster than splatterhopping.

Edit: Oops, forgot to switch back to my regular account. Ayyy LMAO

Edit2: I mean I totally don't have another account and that is a silly rule. I'm an upstanding member of this here community

Last edited:

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
It looks useful but I can't imagine in any these situations it got him a kill he wouldn't have gotten anyway. If your opponent can't react in time to stop/run from it, they probably wouldn't have been able to react before you could kill them normally.

This on roller build would be crazy good though.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Same thing as with the Roller: People need to learn how to counter it and then everyone is fine~

RayneTheSkunk

Inkster Jr.
It will likely only catch players who are distracted by combat or don't notice its sound. Its slow and easly evaded if seen. However as stated by DNE it should make a fantastic zoning tool. For example Player A is fighting Player B in a completely linear hallway, of which the game has a few. If P:A uses the ink-chu P:B is forced to deal with it somehow. Their options are A: Keep shooting at P:A, the foolish option. Even if they kill P:A they will still get killed by the bomb. Option B: Try to go around or over the bomb and advance towards P:A. The risky option they might fail to evade it or still get shot, but if it works ends up the best. Lastly the most likely option P:B will choose is Option C: Fall the heck back. The bomb will only chase them so far before exploding. They fall back, bomb doesn't get them, but now they have lost ground. P:A has gained all that ground P:B lost and is now in an advantageous position.

This is mostly theory of course, its a lot of the same concept of a normal grenade though. It forces people to move and pick an option.

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
I don't know if this is confirmed or not, but can players hide from the Seeker / Ink-chu by hiding in ink? If so, that's a potential weakness right there.
Also, here's a translation video of the weapon in action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom