• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

is this game simply just "The 90's" in game form?

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
people have stated numerous times how this feels like a very 90's video game...no matter if it's the ink colors reminding people of a old school nickelodeon game show or maybe it's the horrific usa splatoon commercials that give off the "Sock Em Boppers" Or "Skip It" Vibe or even just the fact that the atmosphere it brings seems to remind people of the 1990's

but why is that?....is this just the 90's kids talking or does this game really dig up 90's tropes to make an online shooter?

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
people have stated numerous times how this feels like a very 90's video game...no matter if it's the ink colors reminding people of a old school nickelodeon game show or maybe it's the horrific usa splatoon commercials that give off the "Sock Em Boppers" Or "Skip It" Vibe or even just the fact that the atmosphere it brings seems to remind people of the 1990's

but why is that?....is this just the 90's kids talking or does this game really dig up 90's tropes to make an online shooter?
It is inspired by a lot of things that were seen as edgy, rebellious, and cool in the 90's/early 2000s and some things like the motif of squirt guns probably give a lot of us nostalgic vibes. I don't think they tried to make it 90's-esque but that a lot of their inspirations were popular during that time period.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I'm not sure? I don't think so, honestly. The commercials are just really bad. :P

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
They've actually mentioned that the designers were 90s kids and were inspired by the era.

You young bloods and your new-fangled media.

RedML51

Senior Squid
NNID
RedML51
It's motif does derive from the '90s, but the overall aesthetic is modernized, I think.

Whatever, I like the '90s!

Cottoneyes

Inkling
It does have a slight 90's vibe but at least it's completely self aware of it when it goes right into it's cheesiness and whatnot.

Other than that it's mostly modern and doesn't take it too far.

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
the fact it takes a bit of a rebellious skateboarders vibe makes it totally 90's....i mean are skateboarders regarded as rebellious no good rule breakers like they were in the 90's?

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Honestly, I was a 90s kid, and aside from the commercials, I don't really get a 90s vibe from it.

Aura

Infiltrator
Splatoon's nostalgic feel is what grabbed my attention in the first place, amongst other things. Although it's definitely not pure 90s, which is good. I think it's got the touch of both worlds honestly- having a balance of both today and 90s.

It's almost exactly like Cave Story, to be honest. And that's my favorite platformer to date. I like Shovel Knight as well. I'm seeing a pattern here. :p

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
i don't think nintendo would bring back advertizing strategies from 2 decades ago to appeal to kids of the 2010s

they're just unintentionally bad commercials. or maybe intentionally bad songs, who knows. i know i sure as hell haven't got YOU'RE A KID NOW YOU'RE A SQUID NOW out of my head since i heard it in a youtube ad and it's reached memetic status among the splatoon community. kids will probably be running around the playground talking to their friends about it and yelling it at their moms and dads when they get home. splatoon will at least get recognized because of the commercials, that's for sure

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
There's no such thing as an unintentionally bad commercial. They do it on purpose because they know it'll get stuck in your head that way. It's always intentional.

ThisFungi

8-bit crazy!
This is what I think went through the dev's minds when making this game....

"Hey! Let's mix this..."

"With this..."

There's definitely that vibe of the late 90s within this game. The colorful graphics and cheery songs in the commercials are a nod to what was popular back then.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I can see some 90's influences in the game. But I don't get the 90's vibe from this game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom