• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

is this game simply just "The 90's" in game form?

Jawson

Inkling
NNID
Nukingsman
I honestly think that the game has a more "Millennial" feel than 90's.

Have you SEEN the trends of what teenagers wear now? Crazy! :scared:

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
This game's aesthetic actually does a nice job of hitting the right notes. It feels surprisingly natural.

The commercials, though...

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
They are totally trying to channel the 90s. If I'm not mistaken or lied to, pre-ordering at target actually got you a splatoon water gun.

The commercials are also totally 90s!...however good or bad that may be. (It is more "meh" really).

I mean, it all makes sense, seeing how it is supposed to be a light-hearted version of most shooters. And 90s things were all about wacky kids stuff.

ChainALM

Senior Squid
NNID
ChainALM
Yeah, the Super Soaker/Gak mix post pretty much sums it up.
The 90's in game form is pretty much what this is with it's aesthetic, fashion choices and just the insane bright colours.
Not to mention that "Splatoon Extended Cut" song trailer NOA released. You could NOT be channelling Joan Jett and the Blackhearts harder if you tried with that, which are 80's I admit, but the song is hardly Aqua or the Spice Girls. I am open to other comparisons, but that's the vibe I get.

SylemG

Inkster Jr.
The game is pretty 90's. The commercials seem unintentionally incredibly 90's as well. Once someone compared them to sock'em boppers i couldn't stop feeling it.

...more fun than a pillow fight.

mrp0p0

Inkling
Nothing about this is "90s" in the slightest. It seems rather forced that everyone seems to make that connection.

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
Nothing about this is "90s" in the slightest. It seems rather forced that everyone seems to make that connection.
one of the inspirations for the game came from things like rebellious skateboards and rock music

tell me...would you honestly call skateboarders Rebellious Outlaws today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom