• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Is this game starting to lose steam already?

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
I don't believe players are dwindling, just the amount of time the players are playing the game. A lot of people were playing as much as they could when the game launched and for a good week after. Now they just play casually, maybe an hour a day. I for instance still actively play Splatoon, but don't play it as often as I did the first week.

The launch hype is gone, but the players are still here. That is the generally consensus, there may be individuals, like your friends, that have already left the game, but I believe the community is still strong.

Sgo-J

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yulwei
I think it's just the lack of content atm, once there's a lot more like party matchmaking it'd be very enjoyable
The thing about Splatoon is whilst there's supposedly little content what's there is deep. There's so many nuances to the weapons, gear and maps that we'll have barely become competent before something new is released. People still haven't fully grasped Port Mackeral and the Inkbrush

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
I dont know if any of you guys have been in serious competitive clans before but I just want to warn you that salt levels are gonna increase big time when they arrive. Peoples ego's are gonna get in the way and a whole lot of drama to boot. If your going to go into clans I recommend not getting too deep into the competitive nature. It's fine if you go in and have the mindset of you win some you lose some and not blame your teammates to heavily. You just tried your best.

I know naturally, clans will be fun for a while in the beginning (like in many other games). Just want to warn about the dark side of it too. I'm going to try look for not so serious clans myself.
While I haven't played too many teambased multiplayer games, I have almost exclusively experienced anger from the opposing team, hardly ever had I had my own teammates blame me or I me blame them.

Also... "salt" is not a bad thing for a community, people in general love to see anger and emotions. Humans are animals after all. So "salt" is only going to help the community, as it will be more exciting to watch for most people. Also "salt" is a great motivator, it gives people a reason to play the game

Also I'm already set with a clan for Splatoon, we're now just waiting for friend rooms to launch.

I think if you don't realize what level your clanmates are, it's your own fault if you lose. You should be able to estimate how good they are and how good the other team is to see if you can win or not. Not like you should never try to play with a team you think is gonna lose, but just don't expect to win.

And I think the best anger was in Mario Kart Wii, since people would just accuse you of using cheats if you do good

Sgo-J

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yulwei
I don't understand why people migrated to splat zones after level 10. I prefer turf wars 95% of the time.
The rewards for winning are vastly superior even though the penalty for losing is harsher. Turf war is slow and steady exp and gold whilst Splat Zones is all or nothing.

Turf wars is for relatively relaxed play sessions whilst Splat Zones is your ego on the line

Chiiab

Shy person
NNID
Chiiab
The rewards for winning are vastly superior even though the penalty for losing is harsher. Turf war is slow and steady exp and gold whilst Splat Zones is all or nothing.

Turf wars is for relatively relaxed play sessions whilst Splat Zones is your ego on the line
My ego can't take losing any more ;w;

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
Frankly my ego is more on the line in turf wars, I try much harder at that :P

Sgo-J

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yulwei
Frankly my ego is more on the line in turf wars, I try much harder at that :p
The fact you can score higher points on the losing team than the winners even with their bonus just shows that losing isn't really all that bad. Even if you absolutely suck you're still walking away with something whereas you get nothing in Splat Zones. I know which one is more disheartening

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
I'm in this game till it dies. I really do hope that they keep adding content. They need to do the same thing that they did with Fire Emblem Awakening. They kept adding DLC to that game and I kept playing it. They just have to constantly update that game and then I think we will all be okay in the end.

Sycho

Lurking in the Ink.
NNID
Sychotix23
Switch Friend Code
SW-5767-2138-7496
There are things about the game that just make me not want to play it anymore like map rotations, only 2 game modes, no friend lobbies, the latency can be pretty bad sometimes too. I feel like I'm about to just put the game up until August.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
Initial hype may be gone but people are still playing.

Latency/unstable connections/communication errors are way too rampant right now. I mean MK8's launch was just as bad if you remember that nonsense.

Right now I don't even want to venture into splat zones because even with good internet, I seem to dc 10+ times in my hours of gameplay. That said, I'm really just waiting for tower control as splat zones are just more focused turf wars (to me) and i consider it a band-aid add on for launch content.

Tower control will give you a more fun objective than just covering and holding small square(s) and I'm hoping rainmaker does the same.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Hype may have died but no, I don't believe this game is going anywhere. It's a fun game, therefore people will keep playing it.

Enigma

Inkling
NNID
GspotJackson
If anyone has completely stopped playing after this game has been out for like barely 2 weeks, I doubt they were ever going to stick with it to begin with. That, or they have a stubbornness that won't allow them to learn a new game.

Aenglaan

Inkling
NNID
Aenglaan
If it is, then I'm sure more content and general improvements will make players come back for more. The same thing happened in Mario Kart 8, more DLC came along and more people came back months later to play. There are plenty of interesting ideas shown in Octo Valley that could further add depth to the game.

Last edited:

Star

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Skywarp96
Hmm, I haven't really noticed the game lobby slowing down too much. Maybe not as many memeverse posts. I can't really comment on friends quitting as I have yet to make friend connections for this game. That said- I am willing to turf it up with people!

I think once more content is released and more people get the game things will pick back up.

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
You have to keep in mind that:
1) When the game was launched there was ONE game mode
2) Right now a larger portion of the players are playing RANKED which comes with Match Making - so when you are playing ranked you need to wait for similarly ranked players to join the match.

Whenever I play Turf War - matches take no longer than 10-30 seconds to fill up.
In Ranked (B/B+) - matches take 30 seconds up to 2 minutes at times

So unless the user base expands - new modes/team match making might be a bit more time consuming.
But I'm used to this, since I play DOTA 2 a lot and sometimes I'm waiting 3-5 minutes for a Ranked game there. There is like 10 times more people playing DOTA 2 and still you spend a fair bit of time waiting for matches.

What I would like is a way to reconnect to a match if you get an ERROR, that's pretty important feature especially in Ranked.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Initial hype may be gone but people are still playing.

Latency/unstable connections/communication errors are way too rampant right now. I mean MK8's launch was just as bad if you remember that nonsense.

Right now I don't even want to venture into splat zones because even with good internet, I seem to dc 10+ times in my hours of gameplay. That said, I'm really just waiting for tower control as splat zones are just more focused turf wars (to me) and i consider it a band-aid add on for launch content.

Tower control will give you a more fun objective than just covering and holding small square(s) and I'm hoping rainmaker does the same.
A lot of it might be your own connection or interfering signals. If you live in apartments or in heavily populated area and everyone else has wifi and your wii is using your wifi, even if you aren't sharing your connection your wii is getting interference. The only way I was able to get around that is to buy a usb Ethernet adapter and directly hook up my wii u and delete the wireless connection setting. I rarely ever get any errors and only the occasional lagging. I have even had times where everyone else on my team got an error but since my signal was so strong I was the only one left (ended up being 1 v 1 ranked... intense to say the least).

As far as loosing steam, with someone people probably. I imagine more and more people are playing story mode and amiibo challenges. I don't mind only 2 maps per 4 hours though. I do think they should increase levels. No point in playing turf war after level 10, especially of you are skilled and can easily hold your own/pull your weight against level 20s, which I have seen plenty of.

At first I didnt like the fact you couldnt fight with clans in ranked. But the more I play, the more fun it is that way. It could get way too serious otherwise and nintendo seems to want to keep this game as light as possible. Sure its frustrating but you also never know what you are going to get or who on your team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom