• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Just a new guy who is bad at ranked looking for a group who can help me get better...

Orcanonyan

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7775-8230-7414
Title says it all really... If you need more information, do not hesitate to ask me.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I apologize for the cynical nature of this question, but are you looking to improve on your own merits or are you looking to get carried?

Orcanonyan

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7775-8230-7414
I am not looking to get carried. Nor have I ever wanted to. I am merely wanting some people to look at my play style and see where I am going wrong, which weapons I should use and which types of gear to get. I would also like to join the competitive scene, but not until I have gotten myself to at least S in all 3 modes. I look down on people who get to S rank who obviously aren't S rank quality.

Orcanonyan

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7775-8230-7414
Also, I would not call that question cynical. I did not elaborate fully on my original comment. I do apologise.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I am not looking to get carried. Nor have I ever wanted to. I am merely wanting some people to look at my play style and see where I am going wrong, which weapons I should use and which types of gear to get. I would also like to join the competitive scene, but not until I have gotten myself to at least S in all 3 modes. I look down on people who get to S rank who obviously aren't S rank quality.
Well lots of people get there these days by dumb luck, this ranking system is wacky :p That aside, absolutely fair points, I can appreciate where you're coming from. There's plenty of people around here who are willing to help, myself included. Maybe start by posting a thread with some questions and concerns that you have in Splatoon 2 Regular Discussion. Welcome to Squidboards, I hope you find everything you're looking for! :)

Patrick1088

Inkster Jr.
NNID
patrick1088
Not that I'm trying to play Devils advocate, but you look down on people who get to S rank (knowing how much effort it takes) when yourself is having trouble?

But, welcome to SB! Personally, I like the vanilla splattershot, but I think the new Pro coming our Friday can have some impact on competitive scene (especially for splat zone and tower control) with bubble blower/suction bomb and that good range.

What type of player are you though? Fight from a distance? Up close and personal?

Orcanonyan

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7775-8230-7414
I don't look down on ALL S ranks. Just the ones that got carried to A+ then got lucky to get to S rank. The people who got to S rank via effort and training, I revere.

I am generally a kamikazee player. I have a build that I am developing that is all Quick Respawn. I am awful at aiming shots, so killing is hard for me. And I die often. Like 15-20 times per match. That is how I would describe it, but I personally think it would be a good idea to witness it yourself.

Patrick1088

Inkster Jr.
NNID
patrick1088
I don't look down on ALL S ranks. Just the ones that got carried to A+ then got lucky to get to S rank. The people who got to S rank via effort and training, I revere.

I am generally a kamikazee player. I have a build that I am developing that is all Quick Respawn. I am awful at aiming shots, so killing is hard for me. And I die often. Like 15-20 times per match. That is how I would describe it, but I personally think it would be a good idea to witness it yourself.
Have you tried switching controls from motion to stick to help with aim? If your aim is that bad, then I would try either a rapid fire weapon (Aerospray or Sploosh-a-matic). It's Rapid fire will guarantee a kill in most circumstances if your are 1v1.

I would also try playing more stealthily (ninja squid ability) with octobrush ( or inkbrush)

I'll be on this weekend (or hopefully some evening this week after work) if you want somebody to watch

Orcanonyan

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7775-8230-7414
OK. I only use Motion controls. Stick controls are too jerky for my liking. I main the Aerospray RG already. I don't have many good builds with Ninja Squid. Plus it cripples my play style. My FC is 7775-8230-7414 if you want to add me. Like I said, if we went into a private battle, you can see my play style if you spectated on the match. That might show you my play style in a better perspective. Also, if you use Skype, you can add me. I am jordancoles201096@gmail.com. I don't like Discord.

inkcan

Semi-Pro Squid

@Orcanonyan
The concept of looking down on anyone or revering anyone is something you will certainly need to let go of in order to succeed and grow in this game. This game is an uncanny combination of skill and luck, with an emphasis on skill; however, luck should not be dropped from the equation.

I know that sounds kind of preachy, like I'm speaking to you from a higher position, and I want to apologize for that; there is no better way of wording it. We are equals, all of us here, regardless of rank or skill. We all enjoy playing this game together, and that's what matters the most.

I'll help you out as much as I can (from what I've read here).

"I am generally a kamikazee player." - This is not a good idea. Getting splatted and spending time away from the field gives the opposing team the advantage; even if you trade a kill for them killing you, this tactic cannot work. You are more valuable on the field than off. I recognize your style of fighting, however, as I used to do exactly this in Splatoon 1. I'll touch on how to harness this to create a sturdier approach in a moment.

"I have a build that I am developing that is all Quick Respawn" - Quick Respawn works differently in this game than in the previous. The Quick Respawn ability perk only activates if you have not splatted anyone prior to getting splatted yourself. If you are getting at least 1 kill per life, Quick Respawn isn't worth it. It's meant for new players who aren't quite good enough to hold their own yet. This change in the Quick Respawn ability is meant to mitigate something irritating from Ranked in the previous game; Stealth Jump + Quick Respawn stacking. For instance, you'd be on top of the tower in Tower Control, pushing the tower toward the goal, but you'd get splatted. Your buddy is still on the tower. All you and your team need to do now is Stealth Super Jump to the tower, trade with the enemy or get two kills and get splatted, and form a train of Stealth Jumps to the tower to keep pushing objective. In short, use those ability slots for something that better benefits your evolving playstyle.

"I am awful at aiming shots" - Hey, don't worry, everyone is pretty awful at first. Why, I'm still pretty awful myself. I was a real ******* in Splatoon 1, blasting people with such incredible precision, even those disappearing dancing squids in S+ -- you know, those crazy Japanese names that just seem to have impenetrable walls in front of them as they dance in a half inch puddle of their own ink barely clinging to life? I digress; I was good at Splatoon 1, and now I find aiming is much harder for me in Splatoon 2. I'm getting better, certainly, but we should look at a couple of things to help determine exactly why I have been getting better. @Patrick1088 made a suggestion for you in regard to increasing accuracy:

Have you tried switching controls from motion to stick to help with aim?
Stick controls in this game are actually a viable option as opposed to the previous title. Stick controls still remain slower than motion controls, albeit only by a hair's length. It's because, with stick controls, you trade impulse movement for precision movement. With motion controls, you have a slightly more difficult time aiming, but can move naturally on impulse, which provides greater survivability. I am an advocate of motion controls, as you can practice aiming with it to get better while retaining that innate survivability to be a greater, more variable asset to any team. Although, having said that, you should try both input methods and see what works best for you.

For training your shots with motion controls, go into practice with a weapon of your choice (multiple weapons helps with this). Set the motion control and stick control settings down to the lowest sensitivity, and head over to the moving dummies on the left side of the stage. You're going to track the dummies with motion + stick use to splat them from varying distances with different guns. All on the lowest sensitivity. When you can easily start getting kills like this, go do some turf war. At this setting, it'll feel like you're wearing weights when you turn or use the stick. That's good. When you're comfortable, move up to the next level of sensitivity for both, and do exactly the same drill with the dummies. Hit them from all angles, all distances, and splat them while they're moving along their back and forth path. When you're 100% at splatting them, go do some turf again at the new sensitivity. Keep this up until you're at +5 on both motion and stick. Now stay at +5 for a few days. Your aim will begin to improve naturally because you've done two things: learned how to track opponents under different circumstances with different guns, and you've learned how to react in different scenarios and different circumstances; the sensitivity being so low forces you to observe combat more closely.

--

You seem to be developing some sort of hit and run style. That was useful and strong in the first game; people did not see that sort of technique coming most of the time. Splatoon 2, however, favors range over high speed hit and runs. The prevalence of ranged weapons means this sort of technique is at a disadvantage right now in competitive meta. @Patrick1088 made yet another suggestion I want to touch on.

If your aim is that bad, then I would try either a rapid fire weapon (Aerospray or Sploosh-a-matic). It's Rapid fire will guarantee a kill in most circumstances if your are 1v1.

I would also try playing more stealthily (ninja squid ability) with octobrush ( or inkbrush)
Aerospray is fantastic in turf, and does have minor competitive viability. I would choose this over the Sploosh-o-matic only because of the greater range. However, if you're learning to aim, you'll want to leave a little less to chance, since these rapid fire weapons have wide ink spread RNG so you'll need to get close to splat someone with the more concentrated fire near the weapon's nozzle, meaning you're forced to play against the current meta of ranged weapons. It'll make your job a little harder, although it might be a good learning experience. While I agree with Patrick in recommending these weapons, if you're looking to aim, I'd try something a little more suited to <teaching> how to aim, such as the vanilla Splattershot. It's a 3 hit kill with good range, good sub, and great special. It also has its place in the competitive meta, sitting pretty in most any mode.

If you prefer to remain up close and personal and aren't too worried about learning how to aim exactly, then another good suggestion was the melee brushes. Avoid Inkbrush, it cannot hold its own very well. Go for the Octobrush, it has a wider spread, and is generally better suited for splatting squidkids. Brushes and rollers are a unique melee class of weapon that utilizes movement on the stage a little differently, but in using them, you'll learn the stages in a unique way. Part of winning is knowing how the maps are set up, and the usual trafficked routes of each stage. While you perform those motion/stick sensitivity drills I mentioned earlier, this is one of the things you'll observe and learn. It also helps to recon a map before playing it.

--

In terms of abilities you should be looking out for-- well, that depends on weapon. If you want to stick with that hit and run style you seem to be developing, I'd go for Swim Speed up, Ink Recovery Up, and Bomb Defense. This is just a suggestion regarding the playstyle I think you're going for. You should tailor the skills to your own liking, based on favorite map/mode and weapon kit.

You've got some tips, now, and I know you'll be a great player in no time. These tips are just that; tips. Take them with you and make them your own, and continue to grow by practice, observation, and focus. If you ever wanna play together or want some more guidance, feel free to message me. The folks on this board are great, and kind, and will certainly be a good fit with you so long as you keep your chin up and remember that we're all equal squids here, regardless of rank or skill. See you in S+!

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet

Ok so as far as I see it, you have 2 obvious options, both of which have pros and cons:

1. Use the Luna Blaster

Pros - The quick respawn abilities come in handy here. I believe Sendou (plays for the top team in the world) made a blaster analysis video, and one of the gear sets that he figured would work for the Luna was Comeback, Stealth Jump, Respawn Punisher, and everything else Quick Respawn.

This means that you can afford to play risky/kamikaze, as you hopefully won't get punished too hard for risky jumps or trades with other players.

Unfortunately I don't have the link for that video, but if somebody else has it, that would be great.

Cons - If you want to get to S rank with this weapon, you will have to learn to aim.

2. Use a brush.

Pros - No aiming required.

Cons - You'll probably want at least 2 swim speeds, as well as some ink efficiency perks.

(3.) Use a Sploosh-o-matic.

Orcanonyan

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7775-8230-7414
Well, I am not 100% sure about my playstyle. I am just making up a name for it. I have tried fiddling with the sensitivity on many occasions and it seems to do nothing of value. All it seems to do is make me more edgy. I have almost no good equipment other than the Quick Respawn ones I have on now.

I know everybody is equal here, but I still feel amateurish and I cannot shake off the feeling.

S+ is... Ridiculous for me. I mean, I struggle in A-. And another thing, I have slow reaction times, seriously slow. Like I keep saying, you need to see it to believe it.

Also, I have... Other things that hold me back. Self Esteem issues, but I will talk about them privately. All I want is for people to take me seriously, and all I get is humiliated. It happened in Splatoon 1, and it will continue to happen in Splatoon 2.

I cannot make it to S+, never mind hold my own there. When I win, I get carried, when I lose, I feel I was the issue...

cm250

Inkling Commander
NNID
holleyfam2003
Switch Friend Code
SW-4590-2580-6429
If you want my tip it's use your preferred weapon all you see in videos is have variety...no if you're a sniper,roller,shooter,bucket, and etc use that I use either the eliter or splat jr.

Orcanonyan

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7775-8230-7414
If you want my tip it's use your preferred weapon all you see in videos is have variety...no if you're a sniper,roller,shooter,bucket, and etc use that I use either the eliter or splat jr.
Yes, I try, but it seems I get crushed every time.

cm250

Inkling Commander
NNID
holleyfam2003
Switch Friend Code
SW-4590-2580-6429
Then try harder and if that doesn't work go practice in turf and just see what you need to work on and what you have learned now

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Oh, don't worry.

There are lots of videos by pros out there to help you improve your gameplay ( I would assume that if you know who Sendou is then you know ThatSRB2Dude).

Also, don't worry about problems like bad aim - these things come with practice.

Just pick a weapon that you like - if you feel passionate about it, then you'll be motivated to improve; for example I use the Nozzlenoses because they're underrated and also because they look like Daleks from Dr. Who. I also use the Brella because if you kill someone from up close it looks like you're beating them to death with an umbrella.

I was using the Splattershot Pro when I started S2, but for some reason I wasn't doing very well with it anymore, and was stuck in B rank (this was especially frustrating because I was A+ with it in S1), so I took a break from Ranked for a while, and picked up a few new weapons - the Nozzlenoses, Blasters and the Brella.

Now I'm rocketing through B rank, so...

Rocketek (another pro) says that the best weapon in the game is the weapon you play the best.

I think I'll end my rambling here.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Hello! Welcome to Squidboards. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Patrick1088

Inkster Jr.
NNID
patrick1088
My wife had a great suggestion after talking with her! She's a solid B rank in all 3 modes!

Have you tried the rapid blaster? It doesn't require good aim (3 indirect hits=KO) and even ink mine damage can make a direct hit a OHKO.

It is good for tower control with the blaster. Good for splat zones with splat bomb rush. Even ink mines can be used in key choke points for rainmaker (i.e. Port Mackerel and the two paths, just lay an ink mine in each path and wait to get a direct hit for the OHKO).

My wife is pretty good at this and it seemed like a great suggestion!

Orcanonyan

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7775-8230-7414
Hmm, I'll give it a try!

I have never used any kind of blaster before, but it might work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom