• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

L-3 Nozzlenose discussion

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Alright, I used the L-3 in about a dozen Turf War matches tonight. Didn't win many, but that's how it is when you're learning a new weapon.

Doesn't seem too suited to inking up free areas. Seems much more like a hunter weapon on open maps, good for defending more ink spreading weapons from the Bad Guys. On maps with narrow paths like Moray, it seems much better for inking turf. Moray also suits its good range.

Will be playing more with it tomorrow. Don't really know how to use the Disruptors yet.
Its not the best ink spreader. Try as much run speed as possible to move around the map and cover faster in Turf Wars.

doritos29

Senior Squid
NNID
5thelement
Its not the best ink spreader. Try as much run speed as possible to move around the map and cover faster in Turf Wars.
I would go for 2 run speed up mains and ink resistance. I move super fast and I still have some of my mobility when I'm in enemy ink.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Alright, I used the L-3 in about a dozen Turf War matches tonight. Didn't win many, but that's how it is when you're learning a new weapon.

Doesn't seem too suited to inking up free areas. Seems much more like a hunter weapon on open maps, good for defending more ink spreading weapons from the Bad Guys. On maps with narrow paths like Moray, it seems much better for inking turf. Moray also suits its good range.

Will be playing more with it tomorrow. Don't really know how to use the Disruptors yet.
Aside of their main role (harrassment), Disruptors can be used as pseudo Point Sensors as they do mark the Inklings with a... well, marker I guess, and also makes a distinct noise when it actually hits someone, letting you know there's danger ahead

doritos29

Senior Squid
NNID
5thelement
Does anybody know if special duration up affects killer wail?

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I'm getting better with this puppy. I'm scoring more Splats and spreading more ink. Not actually that hard on the ol' trigger finger, either. Disruptor is devastating if I could ever learn to aim it properly. I find myself throwing it into open areas just in case.

I also got a triple splat in Tower Control on Underpass with it that won us the game with it...granted, they weren't paying attention to me but the tower, so I just sorta shot them in the back. Fair fights are always a bad thing.

Definitely gonna keep using this, if only because nobody knows how to deal with it properly.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Played Twin Squad with another nozzlenozer for Rainmaker. On maps, where ranged weapons don't have an advantage, the combo can be pretty devastating.

ArcEmpyreus

Creative Consultant
I swear by it. I can't wait for the unreleased versions of it. If I don't have a nozzlenose in my hand I'm either bwing salty or am playing turf war.

doritos29

Senior Squid
NNID
5thelement
I noticed something while using the killer wail. When you use your killer wail, the camera starts to shake and it ruins your aim. This is really dumb and should be patched out. It makes me perform worse in battle.

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
It's worth noting the L-3 Nozzlenoses have the greatest movement speed while firing constantly due to putting the gun away each time, even faster than the N-ZAPs after the 2.2.0 patch. Perhaps not the most important superlative, but, it's something. The extra ink-on-ground after the 2.2.0 patch is nice; it puts a fifth puddle almost directly in front of you. I'd say that if you're trying to make the ground less habitable for the opponent in a pinch, it's like a slightly more efficient version of the Bamboozler in that respect, which is cool. Its straight lines aren't perfect without two bursts or losing range by firing downward a bit, but you can get uneven bits all over and generally make it necessary for the enemy to coat over it again. Ink economy is quite good, too.

If anyone cares, the BPM on max-speed shooting for this weapon is approximately 189. A BPM of 185 gives something like an extra frame of leeway per shot, so that's likely best to practice:

One Bomb Range Up main gets a Disruptor throw just above the max range of the Splattershot Pro/.96 Gal without a high arc or the need to jump, which I think is pretty significant.

Seems pretty well-rounded when taking on a defensive/supporting role. Can hold its own in most firefights and has good movement overall. Combined with the threat of a Disruptor on both long-range and short-range enemies, I imagine it's worthwhile to invest time in.

Last edited:

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
It's worth noting the L-3 Nozzlenoses have the greatest movement speed while firing constantly due to putting the gun away each time, even faster than the N-ZAPs after the 2.2.0 patch. Perhaps not the most important superlative, but, it's something. The extra ink-on-ground after the 2.2.0 patch is nice; it puts a fifth puddle almost directly in front of you. I'd say that if you're trying to make the ground less habitable for the opponent in a pinch, it's like a slightly more efficient version of the Bamboozler in that respect, which is cool. Its straight lines aren't perfect without two bursts or losing range by firing downward a bit, but you can get uneven bits all over and generally make it necessary for the enemy to coat over it again. Ink economy is quite good, too.

If anyone cares, the BPM on max-speed shooting for this weapon is approximately 189. A BPM of 185 gives something like an extra frame of leeway per shot, so that's likely best to practice:

One Bomb Range Up main gets a Disruptor throw just above the max range of the Splattershot Pro/.96 Gal without a high arc or the need to jump, which I think is pretty significant.

Seems pretty well-rounded when taking on a defensive/supporting role. Can hold its own in most firefights and has good movement overall. Combined with the threat of a Disruptor on both long-range and short-range enemies, I imagine it's worthwhile to invest time in.
My set up for the L-3 Nozzlenose is as follows:

Designer Headphones: Ink Saver Main, random subs, though looking to swap this out for something else with Saver Main as Main or three subs since Special Duration up from Forge isn't too useful on the vanilla L-3

Blank Inky Rider: Bomb Range Up, Run Speed Up x 3 combines mobility with harassing from afar with Disruptors, especially nice to slow down Rollers and mark Chargers

Red Hi-Tops: Ink Resistance, Swim Speed Up x 3 I feel that Ink Resistance is a must since your ink spread is pretty narrow and it's easy to get trapped. The Swim Speed Up combines with the Run Speed Up to maximize mobility.

I sometimes get the highest ink score with the L-3, though not often. I play far more aggressively than normal when I use it, since it doesn't really do well sitting in the back inking the corners. I'm usually the first one to mid and I do my best to keep me the only person in mid until backup arrives.

A nice trick with Disruptors is to tag a group with them and then point the Killer Wail at them. The Disruptor makes it much harder for them to get away. I wiped a whole team during the last Splatfest with this.

Disruptors serve your mobility well by limiting the target's. You can dance around them much easier, or, if they are deep in your territory, you can tag them and then forget about them since they can't do anything and are at much higher risk of getting swarmed by your team. Tag 'em and rush back to mid.

Moray is a good map, the L-3 is a good Charger killer. Port Mac isn't bad, though might be better for the H-3. Kelp Dome is bad for covering turf but good for being annoying and hard to hit (stick close to high-coverage weapons so you have room to move). Hammerhead is nice because you can Disrupt anybody on the high road and make them totally useless and exposed. Saltspray is really annoying but you can move faster around the map than some other weapons so use that advantage. Mall isn't so hot because your movement is really disrupted, though you can hit the Charger perches with Disruptors to force them to move back.

I've learned the hard way that rushing down the enemy is a great way to get blown up. Learn to aim on the move, which is true for every weapon but especially this one, since your movement is what will keep you effective to a larger degree with the Nozzlenose. Move laterally or back but never forward unless you really need to. Keeping somebody locked down is almost the same as splatting them, and you can really lock people down since you can fire so fast and for so long. Move unpredictably and use your movement to flank if you need to (remember, fair fights are the worst fights)

L-3 beats Rollers pretty badly, even Dynamos. Disruptors totally destroy Rollers anyways, and you can easily move out of the way of the new OHKO hitboxes. Chargers can be danced around with unpredictable movements and Disruptors. Buckets can overwhelm you, and the Tri can ruin you with Disruptors right back, so just slow them down as much as you can and try to sneak attack them. Splatlings can be hosed by Disruptors but the Heavy outranges you so don't bother beyond Disrupting them.

Other Shooters are a mixed bag: The Gals are outranged by Disruptors with BRU and are so ink heavy and slow that they really don't want to be hit by them, ditto SSPs. Squelchers outrange you, so take advantage of them being slow to dance around them. Beware N-ZAPs, they have deceptive range and are really fast now. Aerosprays are a joke unless they ambush you, ditto Jrs, though they have good kits so they aren't as laughable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom