• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Letting Friends Win?

SquidletSquidlet

Inkster Jr.
Hi squiddos. ^ . ^ Have any of you let a friend win a match, or had someone let you win?

If you have, how and why; and if it was done to you how did it make you feel?

Cheetah

Inkling
NNID
princesstricky
Sometimes I let my friends win since I feel bad because they're casuals lol. We just played basically everything in Private Battle so really it was just resisting the urge to play objective. At one point we did like a 3v1 since I kept destroying them and I wanted more of a challenge, and thought maybe they'd get to win one.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I hate when it happens to me, so I tend not to. I might goof around a little bit but I think its better to learn how to improve If we're all just playing for fun though it doesnt matter who wins anyway.

What I will often do is play with weapons I am horrible with to kind of nerf myself in a justifiable way.

Wothur

Full Squid
NNID
Wothur
Hi squiddos. ^ . ^ Have any of you let a friend win a match, or had someone let you win?

If you have, how and why; and if it was done to you how did it make you feel?
What? No. Never.

Undeserved victory never feels like victory, (to me at least) so I don't see the point in letting anyone win intentionally.

(Crushing your friends underneath your boot is too much damn fun, anyway)

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've only done it once, maybe twice.

Was just a really long lose streak for a particular squadmate in privates.

That was forever ago, sometime in 2015.
Anytime I go on a bit of a win streak, the second I consider doing even a slight handicap to cheer someone up, I'll get my $%^& handed to me in a pretty box with a bow.

It's easy to feel that your buddies are helpless when you are the only guy in the group who made it to S+,
but once they coordinate, intentional or otherwise...
<_>
wat

;_; buteyemdabest

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
NEVER.
EVER.

I typically don't lower myself or let my opponents win, because sandbagging is disrespectful. I'd rather have my friends in shambles than disrespect them

Aristeia

Pro Squid
NNID
Sifo33
Out of the select few friends that I have in this life, they all fall pretty decidedly into two camps. Those that are not competitively familiar with Splatoon but who know that I am, and those who are actually members of the Splatoon squad that I am a Captain of.

Either way, I try my best to wreck them ;) I believe that we only get better as players when we are challenged, so I like to challenge others as often as possible, and I enjoy being challenged myself.

If I'm playing with my squad friends, of course I love for this interaction to happen. If I'm playing with friends who are more casual about the game, I still go whole hog. After all, I want to impress them with my ability AND more often than not, after getting beaten by me, they ask for tips and show interest in playing the game more competitively!

So yeah. Always do your best :)

Kowai Yume

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kowai_Yume
Two words, hell no. If we are doing a competition, they're gonna have to earn that win. I don't want that pity win to happen to me, I'm not gonna give it to them. That's the selfish competitor in me. And frankly, I don't want to let go of that mentality.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Yes... sorta?

I attempt to sandbag myself. Sandbag myself just enough to challenge them. And as they improve, I lighten the ballast a little more to keep them pushing their skill level should they choose.

ree-ris

Full Squid
Tbh I wouldn't mind letting a friend win. As long as it doesn't cost me my rank :P
I'd hate it if others would do it to me tho, I want to win in a fair way

D

Deleted Member

I'd feel so much dishonor if someone let me win on purpose, I love competition so I take no prisoners.

KannaMango93

Inkster Jr.
The few times I am ever able to play with anyone on my friend list, we never let each other win. We just let the competition (and salt) happen as is. I wouldn't like knowing if someone let me win, because then I feel like I didn't actually earn the victory. I prefer not having anyone go easy on me, or I wouldn't learn as a player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom