List of Gear Perks

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Updated!

The Direct confirmed a lot of perks and compacted them nicely into a few images:

Perk details (click to expand):
Description of the perks from someone with a review copy:

http://imgur.com/KMFQ9La

(Found from here, beware of spoilers)

Some descriptions of the more obscure ones:

Opening Gambit/Last-ditch Effort: Boosts speed for first/last 30 seconds.

Tenacity: Fills special faster if your team has fewer players than the enemy team (I assume this means when one of your teammates gets splattered)

Comeback: Boosts abilities for a short time after respawn

Cold Blooded: Shortens the amount of time that enemies can track you with items

Ninja Squid: Leave no trace while swimming, but reduces speed (could be really useless depending on how much it reduces your speed)

Haunt: Reveals the position of enemy who splats you to your team for a short period (better version of what I thought!)

Recon: Allows you to see enemy team on map while standing on respawn point (If only there was a way to communicate this information to team mates...)

Bomb Sniffer: Reveals traps and hidden bombs (not sure what this applies to other than the mine?)

Stealth Jump: Hides Super Jump landing but makes it slower.
List of official text pulled from review copy gameplay videos:

Tenacity: Fills special gauge automatically if your team has fewer active players than the enemy.
- I'm not sure about the proper interpretation of this description, perhaps it means that your special gauge will fill on its own during the times when there are fewer players alive on your team.

Last-Ditch Effort: Boosts ink recovery rate and weapon ink efficiency for the last 30 seconds of battle.

I think that's all the perks we've seen so far. If you find anything not included here let me know!

I'm also going to scribble some notes here about perks and gear in general:

- According to the game manual, the sub-perks on gear have WEAKER effects compared to the base perk.

Archive of old post
I made a rough list of available gear perks by pulling images from gameplay videos and official sources. Some of the icons don't look that great since I screencapped several of them from videos, but I wasn't too concerned about it since this list will probably need to be remade/retired after the game launches or they release more clear information through their official channels. I thought making a preliminary list might be of interest since many have raised concerns about the impact of perks on gameplay.

This list is likely not comprehensive and elements are subject to change before the game actually releases.

Link to document:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JvRa2pQYtUAqlBwap_3hBH0JrzRUnJoOa1O8Dhbubtw/edit?usp=sharing

Image for convenient viewing:

The pictures with english text in them I found on official Splatoon english sites and are likely final or close to final.

The orange labeled were translated from names given in a Japanese magazine article on Splatoon.

The yellow are all perks I found from watching gameplay videos and they did not have names or descriptions attached, so the descriptions there are my own guesses at what they mean. Some of the icons I think are pretty self-explanatory but I could be wrong, and some others I'm not as sure or have no idea yet what they do.

If you've seen any perks that I haven't included or have improved/corrected descriptions/translations for any of the perks let me know!

Last edited:

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
Great post!

I think the the last one in the right column has to do with super jumping. Maybe your teammates fly to you faster

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
Great post!

I think the the last one in the right column has to do with super jumping. Maybe your teammates fly to you faster
Ah, but if you look at it, it's 3 enemy squids converging on a single one... so perhaps it's a kind of circumstantial bonus. Perhaps getting some kind of buff when out-numbered, based on how many enemies are within a certain range of you.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Ah, but if you look at it, it's 3 enemy squids converging on a single one... so perhaps it's a kind of circumstantial bonus. Perhaps getting some kind of buff when out-numbered, based on how many enemies are within a certain range of you.
Probably. I imagine it would make your super jump faster or higher when outnumbered. That or you swim faster, this is just a guess of course. :P

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
I was thinking along those lines as well. It's very likely some kind of buff when outnumbered, but I'm not really sure what bonus it would give, and the icon doesn't really leave us with any hints other than the green squid is drawn significantly larger than the enemy squids.

It could be related to super jumping, though if that were the case I would have expected to see the little jumping mark below the squids like in the perk above it. Although that one being related to super jumping is just my own guess as well :p

Niliks

Pro Squid
NNID
Niliks
I can confirm that you are correct on the death time reduction perk icon. In the Gamexplain Test Chamber video for the online multiplayer, Corey, a member of Nintendo Tree house, explains that one to the reviewers.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
soo the Direct confirmed a bunch of the perks that I couldn't tell were for, as well as showed several more perks that haven't been seen much before

when the video recording for the Direct gets up I'll update this list

Those two icons that I thought were placeholders are actually real perks. Ninja squid and Silent(?) jump, so my guess is that Ninja Squid silences your footsteps and Silent jump probably makes it so that enemies can't see the marker for you superjump.

That weird icon with the multiple squids we were wondering about before was shown labeled as "Tenacity", still not really sure what that means it will actually do, but from the name it's likely to do with being outnumbered like we were speculating before.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
soo the Direct confirmed a bunch of the perks that I couldn't tell were for, as well as showed several more perks that haven't been seen much before

when the video recording for the Direct gets up I'll update this list

Those two icons that I thought were placeholders are actually real perks. Ninja squid and Silent(?) jump, so my guess is that Ninja Squid silences your footsteps and Silent jump probably makes it so that enemies can't see the marker for you superjump.

That weird icon with the multiple squids we were wondering about before was shown labeled as "Tenacity", still not really sure what that means it will actually do, but from the name it's likely to do with being outnumbered like we were speculating before.
Tenacity generally means toughness i have a feeling equipping tenacity items make you tougher so you can withstand more hits. for melee people, rollers, you will want strength, tenacity and i am not certain run speed will help with the rollers.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
but wouldn't taking more hits fall under defence up? or was that not on the list they showed?

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
The standard Defense Up is there, but I guess Tenacity could give you even more defense when you're surrounded by enemy squids.

Or it turns you into a Mini-Kraken, lol jk

CoopLan

Squid Streamer
NNID
LanceHS
With the info we know about some of the perks, what do you guys think is going to be some of the best?

The first three, ink saver, special charge up, and quick respawner seem like they will be the ones that benefit people the most starting out. I can't wait to see what the ones we don't know much about will do

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Here's a list of all the (currently) confirmed Gear abilities/perks:

View attachment 62
View attachment 63
View attachment 64
Thanks for posting the screencaps, added the charts to the OP

I wonder what Opening Gambit and Last-Ditch Effort do exactly, it seems to imply you get a buff in the first/last 30 seconds of the match, but what kind of buff? :scared:

Also, Recon....does that let you reveal the position of enemies? The orange disk in the icon looks like the button on the gamepad screen under the names of your teammates. Maybe with the perk on you can press it to scan the map for enemies? :scared:

Last edited:

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
Ink Saver and Ninja Squid look like must-haves to me. Here's hoping I'm lucky enough to have them on the gear sets I want. I don't know if they're pre-determined or random. Either way, I want to be lucky and have them both at the very least. :P

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
I definitely want Cold-Blooded somewhere in my loadout, since I'm assuming it hides you from the effects of the Point Sensor and Echolocator.

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
Haunt could be interesting too if it lets you do something to the person that killed you. I'm guessing it will let you slow them down a bit or damage them slightly with your ghostly squid form.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Curious which would be better, ink saver or ink rec. up considering swimming in your ink is pretty vital anyway. Probably depends on game mode and weapon but stuff like this is fun to think about and eventually test

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Haunt could be interesting too if it lets you do something to the person that killed you. I'm guessing it will let you slow them down a bit or damage them slightly with your ghostly squid form.
The line on the icon makes me think it reveals their position on your screen when you respawn kind of like the Echolocator special does, but it would be funny if you could harass them as a ghost squid while you're dead too :scared:

Ellocus

Senior Squid
NNID
rebellocus
I heard that the first ability for every piece of gear is both non randomised and also more powerful than the others. If this is the case then surely you won't necessarily be able to get your "perfect" gear after all. I also wander how significant the increase in power would be and how it would apply to (how I assume) Ninja Squid works.

Oh I also wander how perks stack or if they do at all. Anyway, I thought I'd post my thoughts on what these slightly more obscure perks do. Definitely just my opinion and I really have no clue and I know some are actually obvious, anyway here they are!

Comeback: Increased Speed (or maybe other things too) after death for a time
Ninja Squid: No ripples when swimming in ink
Stealth Jump: No indicator
Cold Blooded: Invisible to Echo locator
Haunt: Marks player that splatted you last.
Recon: Really no clue, but perhaps shows enemies on map when they are nearby?
Opening Gambit/Last Ditch Effort: I believe it will have similar effects to comeback but obviously in the first/last 30 seconds of a match.

Thoughts on any of this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom