List of Gear Perks

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
im hoping cold blooded hides the line for the sniper rifles, and im not sure that haunt would do that because it already seems to mark them anyway for a time.

Ellocus

Senior Squid
NNID
rebellocus
im hoping cold blooded hides the line for the sniper rifles, and im not sure that haunt would do that because it already seems to mark them anyway for a time.
Oh that would be great! Now I'm hoping I'm wrong ^^

I didn't actually notice this happening. Maybe it will just make it more obvious for oblivious people like me!

Ellocus

Senior Squid
NNID
rebellocus
Description of the perks from someone with a review copy:

http://imgur.com/KMFQ9La

(Found from here, beware of spoilers)

Some descriptions of the more obscure ones:

Opening Gambit/Last-ditch Effort: Boosts speed for first/last 30 seconds.

Tenacity: Fills special faster if your team has fewer players than the enemy team (I assume this means when one of your teammates gets splattered)

Comeback: Boosts abilities for a short time after respawn

Cold Blooded: Shortens the amount of time that enemies can track you with items

Ninja Squid: Leave no trace while swimming, but reduces speed (could be really useless depending on how much it reduces your speed)

Haunt: Reveals the position of enemy who splats you to your team for a short period (better version of what I thought!)

Recon: Allows you to see enemy team on map while standing on respawn point (If only there was a way to communicate this information to team mates...)

Bomb Sniffer: Reveals traps and hidden bombs (not sure what this applies to other than the mine?)

Stealth Jump: Hides Super Jump landing but makes it slower.

What are your thoughts on these? Better or worse than you expected?

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
Description of the perks from someone with a review copy:

http://imgur.com/KMFQ9La

(Found from here, beware of spoilers)

Some descriptions of the more obscure ones:

Opening Gambit/Last-ditch Effort: Boosts speed for first/last 30 seconds.

Tenacity: Fills special faster if your team has fewer players than the enemy team (I assume this means when one of your teammates gets splattered)

Comeback: Boosts abilities for a short time after respawn

Cold Blooded: Shortens the amount of time that enemies can track you with items

Ninja Squid: Leave no trace while swimming, but reduces speed (could be really useless depending on how much it reduces your speed)

Haunt: Reveals the position of enemy who splats you to your team for a short period (better version of what I thought!)

Recon: Allows you to see enemy team on map while standing on respawn point (If only there was a way to communicate this information to team mates...)

Bomb Sniffer: Reveals traps and hidden bombs (not sure what this applies to other than the mine?)

Stealth Jump: Hides Super Jump landing but makes it slower.

What are your thoughts on these? Better or worse than you expected?
Hmm... The Ninja Squid isn't really good looking imo. I mean, if it makes it difficult to make jumps (slower speed, less jump distance), then why use it? It could force you to take set routes and not take alternate ones.

Stealth Jump on the other hand seems pretty good. It prevents a camping near a super jump landing since others can't see you (even if it is slower).

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Ahh nice info, the speed reduction on ninja makes sense for balance, otherwise why would you ever not run it if you had the spare slots for it. I was hoping cold blooded would make you completely undetectable, but like with ninja I guess that would be too strong considering how many perk slots you can have. Eventually everyone would run it and make the detection items useless.

But I guess this answers the question of how relative strengths of perks on the base slot vs sub slots work for these kinds of utility perks. I assume ninja would have less swim speed penalty if it's the base perk, and cold blood would reduce trace time even more, etc.

Ellocus

Senior Squid
NNID
rebellocus
Hmm... The Ninja Squid isn't really good looking imo. I mean, if it makes it difficult to make jumps (slower speed, less jump distance), then why use it? It could force you to take set routes and not take alternate ones.

Stealth Jump on the other hand seems pretty good. It prevents a camping near a super jump landing since others can't see you (even if it is slower).
Yeah, Ninja Squid doesn't seem great, especially considering people have been able to be stealthy when swimming, by going slower anyway.

Stealth Jump seems nice, although if it affects your "charge" time for your jumps, it might make it less viable as an escape.

A higher defense would be op for Rollers
That and run speed up and opening gambit/last ditch effort. Terrifying!

Ahh nice info, the speed reduction on ninja makes sense for balance, otherwise why would you ever not run it if you had the spare slots for it. I was hoping cold blooded would make you completely undetectable, but like with ninja I guess that would be too strong considering how many perk slots you can have. Eventually everyone would run it and make the detection items useless.

But I guess this answers the question of how relative strengths of perks on the base slot vs sub slots work for these kinds of utility perks. I assume ninja would have less swim speed penalty if it's the base perk, and cold blood would reduce trace time even more, etc.
Yeah I guess they had to limit them in some way or it really would be a must-have.

Oh that's interesting, I hadn't actually thought of that, makes sense now you've said it.

The only ability I still can't see a difference between base/sub slot would be recon. Perhaps there are some abilities that can only be base or sub slots perhaps?

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
Haunt and Ink Resistance Up look highly useful to me.

mindscarp

Inkster Jr.
NNID
mindscarp
I thought it had to do with a team where one (or more) player disconnected.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
The only ability I still can't see a difference between base/sub slot would be recon. Perhaps there are some abilities that can only be base or sub slots perhaps?
Yeah, I think it could be possible but it seems strange for just recon to be the odd one out. Maybe his description is missing some detail

I saw a video showing someone using Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump as base perks:
looks pretty good

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Recon would be usefull with Voicechat because 1 person could stay in the Base and tell everyone where the Enemys are

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
Recon would be usefull with Voicechat because 1 person could stay in the Base and tell everyone where the Enemys are
You know what else they could do while waiting? Depending on the map layout, they could have the E-liter 3K (longest sniper weapons) and kill enemies from afar. By the way (this may be a bit a of a stretch but), I think on Saltspray Rig, they can kill enemies while being directly at the spawn point (or near it). This seems pretty useful with Recon.

Now it's probably too far to kill from your spawn point, but you don't have to move that far away from it to kill enemies near their spawn point. The E-liter 3K has some serious range, so it's possible.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
I think maybe people are looking down on Ninja Squid a bit too much considering we don't know the specifics yet. If the speed reduction is fairly low, or can be offset by a secondary-strength Swim Speed Up, then it could prove insanely useful. I know that during the Testfire, I had no trouble as all seeing opponents as they moved through ink--negating the ripple visual can be a huge boon as you'll have no idea which path an enemy took to get out of your sight.

Ellocus

Senior Squid
NNID
rebellocus
Yeah, I think it could be possible but it seems strange for just recon to be the odd one out. Maybe his description is missing some detail

I saw a video showing someone using Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump as base perks
looks pretty good
Yeah, it's possible but unlikely if it's just recon that is different. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Doesn't seem to be slowed noticeably, perhaps they have swim speed sub perks?

I think maybe people are looking down on Ninja Squid a bit too much considering we don't know the specifics yet. If the speed reduction is fairly low, or can be offset by a secondary-strength Swim Speed Up, then it could prove insanely useful. I know that during the Testfire, I had no trouble as all seeing opponents as they moved through ink--negating the ripple visual can be a huge boon as you'll have no idea which path an enemy took to get out of your sight.
True, I think I initially assumed it would be slowed significantly, although having to use an extra slot to negate a negative effect isn't ideal. My initial concerns were that people can "stealth" swim by just swimming slower without the perk, however the video posted above eases my concerns and it might turn out to be a must have perk!

My thoughts exactly. Also really useful for quickly knowing who is safe to jump to.

You know what else they could do while waiting? Depending on the map layout, they could have the E-liter 3K (longest sniper weapons) and kill enemies from afar. By the way (this may be a bit a of a stretch but), I think on Saltspray Rig, they can kill enemies while being directly at the spawn point (or near it). This seems pretty useful with Recon.

Now it's probably too far to kill from your spawn point, but you don't have to move that far away from it to kill enemies near their spawn point. The E-liter 3K has some serious range, so it's possible.
I think it might be a bit of a stretch, or very limited. Also since you'd have to have line of sight to hit them, the radar wouldn't be that useful.

Gis4Gamer

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gis4Gamer
Maybe recon will continue to show the enemies location for a short time after you leave the spawn point. That way you have more time to make use of the ability. The amount of time they remain on your map after leaving your spawn point will vary with the strength of the ability.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Doesn't seem to be slowed noticeably, perhaps they have swim speed sub perks?
Ah right, I forgot to mention that later in the video (~8:17) you can see his full perk setup since it shows the first match from the perspective of a player on the other team.
He has 2 swim speed sub-perks on.

Ellocus

Senior Squid
NNID
rebellocus
Ah right, I forgot to mention that later in the video (~8:17) you can see his full perk setup since it shows the first match from the perspective of a player on the other team.
He has 2 swim speed sub-perks on.
Oh thanks for pointing that out, I'm not that observant :)
I've been really trying to look to see how fast that is, compared to normal, but I can't tell if it's faster or slower!

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy

I saw a video showing someone using Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump as base perks:
looks pretty good
Finally, someone using the charger the correct way...

The ninja squid speed reduction did not look so bad, nor did the super jump speed. I'm quite the fan now, they seems to give more than they take.

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
Finally, someone using the charger the correct way...

The ninja squid speed reduction did not look so bad, nor did the super jump speed. I'm quite the fan now, they seems to give more than they take.
Same here. I thought they would be bad, but seeing them in action really puts it into perspective on how good they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom