• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Looking for advice from A+/S rank Tentatek users.

Spectre13

Inkster Jr.
It was a breeze getting to A+ but now that I'm here it's very difficult and I'd just like to hear the view from some higher ranked more experienced players on how our weapon excels on competitive solo and squad matches and what we can do for the team. I'm playing as flank when i can and causing trouble but i play defensive sometimes when required. I'd get good games then some horrible tragedies of performances. How can I try become a more difficult target while also being a strong defensive player? I run swim speed up, normally 1 main and 3 subs and ink recovery sometimes 2 mains or 1 main and 2 subs with 1 main of strength for countering defense up. What sets could I work towards building and what gear would be most effective?
Any advice will be welcome.

NNID
Han_Apollo
My time to shine. I'm a S tentatek main.

You need to know that it's going to happen - you will win and lose a lot, it's what being in S is like. You need to keep going and improve yourself as a result. Playing many games will help you adapt to so many situations.

I find that observing what roles your team is playing is your best shot - fill in the gap as much as you can. Tentatek has the capacity to be played as a defensive weapon as well as an offensive weapon - usually if there is a defensive weapon like a Splatling and a support like a charger, I usually go on the offensive as a flanker (which is what the weapon is best for). But, if your team is missing a defensive player, or a support player, or an objective pusher, fill the space. Adapting to your team is one of the keys to success in solo queue.

As for gear, I usually run swim and run speed up, as well as one main of ink recovery and 3 subs of damage up (in my White Headband). I think adapting your gear to different game modes and maps might be good as well.

Personally, I'm moving to master all variants of the splattershot, because it gives me a more varied choice for ranked. Otherwise, just practice and adapt. Put enough time in and you're likely to improve.

Archæa

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ArchaeaNFS
Although I don't have too much experience with this case, I did find myself in a similar scenario to what you are describing. I usually run 2 mains of damage, Ink resistance, and have the rest devoted either to swim speed or Defense up, or a combination of the two. I find this set to be fairly balanced and well rounded. As for playstyle, with the newer updates, the amount of tenatek users has shrunk from its all-time high (although it is still a respectable number). You will most often be facing enemies with longer range than you. In a recent play session with the tenatek, I found myself not playing very well and being outaimed and outgunned. To combat this, I adopted a much more aggressive playstyle. The tenatek is a monster at extremely close ranges, and extremely useful for flanking. If you are going to opt for this approach (and I strongly suggest it if the other plan fails) I highly recommend at least 4 mains of quick respawn and an Ink resistance. You will die a lot. But this is okay. Your job is to be the thorn in the sides of your enemy, constantly harassing from unprotected flanks and the rear.

Hope these suggestions help a little.

Maave

Inkling Commander
I find the Tentatek to be a good dueler. The range and fire rate is just right for bob-and-weave 1 on 1 fights. If you want to practice being a more difficult target then try fighting head on. Get into fights where you're circling with the opponent, popping left and right of an obstacle, fighting around a corner. For those fights you usually ink a bit for swimming room, but stop firing before you get into the opponents range, then swim/fire/swim/fire until you splat him. Be aggressive, get in their faces, that'll teach you to fight close range like that.

The bombs are more strategic, tossing them where you think somebody is going, or trapping them in a corner, or deterring them from moving in some direction.I don't use them often for close range fighting since they use so much ink. Although if you're trying to flee you can drop one at your feet or on the obstacle you're dodging around, so that pursuers run into it.

I like Archæa's idea of a quick respawn. I'd only use it while you're learning though. Once you're good it'll be unnecessary and you can pick your favorite gear for your play style. I usually give it some mix of: swim speed, special charge up, special duration up, sub ink saver. I ink turf and get in fights until the special is built, then move to a good place to fire the inkzooka and try to splat as many as possible. If I can manage to get 2 kills with the inkzooka then it's time to push the objective.

Ellen

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EllenM92
This is my go-to build.

WVW69jT0WXgJ1Qli7D.jpg

Lots of defense, some damage, and swim speed. It works for me and I usually win 1v1s. Swim strafe, and the defense will help you live through a lot of the fall off from shots. Also, defense helps with surviving more indirect bomb hits/splash damage. Really great for agro players like myself, always on the frontlines.

That said, you can never go wrong with pure speed. Tentateks dancing around you can be a pain to deal with, and you can be that pain for someone else! Lol :p Ink resistance is nice; it's a great ability and run it by all means. Personally, I've been without it for a while and been fine. You just have to make sure to splatterhop away when in trouble, and just be more mindful of enemy ink. Sounds obvious, but with ink resistance it's easy to just not worry about it as much because you feel a little more secure while standing/strafing in enemy ink. At least imo. So you can, if you want, ditch ink resist for more speed or whatever you want. Anyway, I'll stop babbling. Hope I helped!

Last edited:
NNID
KaiAedyn
Don't be too aggressive.

Tentatek's are meant to play the game objective. Most of them get on the tower, carry the rainmaker, and capture the zone. It's important to be a good teammate, and it's good to find your teammate(s)' flow, as you can get with them and use your team to have some utterly filthy splats, haha.

Ellen

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EllenM92
Don't be too aggressive.

Tentatek's are meant to play the game objective. Most of them get on the tower, carry the rainmaker, and capture the zone. It's important to be a good teammate, and it's good to find your teammate(s)' flow, as you can get with them and use your team to have some utterly filthy splats, haha.
Absolutely! I failed to mention that rush to the middle is my opening strategy. If splatted, I'll try to flank and help my teammates from another angle. I'm usually trying to get on the tower at the start, or capture the zone early on, both done by either throwing a suction bomb on the tower, or using a bomb on one side of the zone while painting the other, etc. I'll also use zooka to keep people at bay if my teammates are pushing the tower or carrying the rainmaker, etc. It's never good to be overly aggressive, but I will get in people's faces nonetheless. I will never rush in blindly or forget my teammates. It's not a one man army, lol :)

Last edited:
NNID
KaiAedyn
Absolutely! I failed to mention that rush to the middle is my opening strategy. If splatted, I'll try to flank and help my teammates from another angle. I'll also use zooka to keep people at bay while my teammates are pushing the tower or rainmaker, etc. It's never good to be overly aggressive, but I will get in people's faces nonetheless. But I will never rush in blindly or forget my teammates. It's not a one man army, lol :)
Man, I thought someone would disagree with my post! I myself am not a main of the Tentatek/Octoshot, but I tried to put in what my basic/advanced region of understanding the weapons, and my knowledge on strategies that can be used great by them. Thanks for posting that as it motivates me, as myself, to main the Tentatek once again...

...Time to copy your gear. Private message me if you want to know how I would do it in less than 10 minutes.

Hehe. Thanks for the inspiration!

Inkling Ash

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Zachy_Dad
This is my go-to build.

View attachment 3458

Lots of defense, some damage, and swim speed. It works for me and I usually win 1v1s. Swim strafe, and the defense will help you live through a lot of the fall off from shots. Also, defense helps with surviving more indirect bomb hits/splash damage. Really great for agro players like myself, always on the frontlines.

That said, you can never go wrong with pure speed. Tentateks dancing around you can be a pain to deal with, and you can be that pain for someone else! Lol :p Ink resistance is nice; it's a great ability and run it by all means. Personally, I've been without it for a while and been fine. You just have to make sure to splatterhop away when in trouble, and just be more mindful of enemy ink. Sounds obvious, but with ink resistance it's easy to just not worry about it as much because you feel a little more secure while standing/strafing in enemy ink. At least imo. So you can, if you want, ditch ink resist for more speed or whatever you want. Anyway, I'll stop babbling. Hope I helped!
Uhmm is it weird that we wear the exact same gear.

Inkling Ash

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Zachy_Dad
It was a breeze getting to A+ but now that I'm here it's very difficult and I'd just like to hear the view from some higher ranked more experienced players on how our weapon excels on competitive solo and squad matches and what we can do for the team. I'm playing as flank when i can and causing trouble but i play defensive sometimes when required. I'd get good games then some horrible tragedies of performances. How can I try become a more difficult target while also being a strong defensive player? I run swim speed up, normally 1 main and 3 subs and ink recovery sometimes 2 mains or 1 main and 2 subs with 1 main of strength for countering defense up. What sets could I work towards building and what gear would be most effective?
Any advice will be welcome.
Btw are you the specter that participates in tournaments and things?

Spectre13

Inkster Jr.
Btw are you the specter that participates in tournaments and things?
No, sadly I'm not ready for comp yet. I'm with the squad TSF. We formed a few weeks ago and have yet to sign up for one cause we're still recruiting. Thanks for you advice.

Setu

My biggest tip is the ability to adapt to any situation that you're in and winning trades especially. Also make sure flanks are effective but not obvious. Also just have quick movement and good aim in general and I also like to say being "one step ahead" always helps.

CerealboX

Full Squid
NNID
based_fidel
I use the wasabi but since it's the same main weapon ill still give you some tips. I have used to octoshot and they are fairly similar.
(Note: This is how I play each mode with this weapon others may not agree but its my words of advice.)
In TC: Since you consider yourself a flanker role i'd suggest on maps such as flounder, museum, etc. where the tower has a huge center surronding it to wait a couple seconds to overview your enemies. Depending on your teammates weapons you need to focus on taking out those pesky chargers or pressuring splatlings. once they are down you must go help the objective just in case the enemy is pushing the tower but if not begin to surprise other enemies with a inkzooka or well flank. Honestly taking out the charger or splatling should be the time you guys push cause now your only main threat are blasters but thats something team dependent.

In Splat Zones: This mode is where you kinda need to change playstyles a bit. In solo q it can be hard to have too much faith in your teammates on covering the zone cause everyone wants to go their "own way". You can rush but you need to proritize avoiding a total wipe by flanking with caution. If 2 of you teammates are down focus on the objective but if its a golden opportunity (wipe , 3 down,) start to proceed as your role as flanker. Maps with 2 zones (port mac, camp triggerfish, blackbelly,etc.) you should be the one pressuring the other team zone .

In Rainmaker: This mode id say do the same for tower control except focus on the enemy team's more "pressure weapons" such as the same chargers and splatlings but look for any campy blasters or rollers waiting for the rainmaker. When the enemy has rainmaker obviously rainmaker must be taken out but uou should try and force pressure from flank while your teammates should defend from the front.

In General: As a tenatek i highly recommend that defensive build shown up there^. You always need to strive to die less because you need to play a key role with your inkzooka and turfing capabilities to pressure the other team immensely. That defense up will help you when your in sticky situation while flanking although i recommend using ink resistance to avoid any unlucky enemy ink patches.

Hope this helped from an S+ squid.

PORYGON.zip

Inkling
NNID
PORYGON.zip
No, sadly I'm not ready for comp yet. I'm with the squad TSF. We formed a few weeks ago and have yet to sign up for one cause we're still recruiting. Thanks for you advice.
how can i join TSF? Im interested in joining a squad

Ellen

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EllenM92
I use the wasabi but since it's the same main weapon ill still give you some tips. I have used to octoshot and they are fairly similar.
(Note: This is how I play each mode with this weapon others may not agree but its my words of advice.)
In TC: Since you consider yourself a flanker role i'd suggest on maps such as flounder, museum, etc. where the tower has a huge center surronding it to wait a couple seconds to overview your enemies. Depending on your teammates weapons you need to focus on taking out those pesky chargers or pressuring splatlings. once they are down you must go help the objective just in case the enemy is pushing the tower but if not begin to surprise other enemies with a inkzooka or well flank. Honestly taking out the charger or splatling should be the time you guys push cause now your only main threat are blasters but thats something team dependent.

In Splat Zones: This mode is where you kinda need to change playstyles a bit. In solo q it can be hard to have too much faith in your teammates on covering the zone cause everyone wants to go their "own way". You can rush but you need to proritize avoiding a total wipe by flanking with caution. If 2 of you teammates are down focus on the objective but if its a golden opportunity (wipe , 3 down,) start to proceed as your role as flanker. Maps with 2 zones (port mac, camp triggerfish, blackbelly,etc.) you should be the one pressuring the other team zone .

In Rainmaker: This mode id say do the same for tower control except focus on the enemy team's more "pressure weapons" such as the same chargers and splatlings but look for any campy blasters or rollers waiting for the rainmaker. When the enemy has rainmaker obviously rainmaker must be taken out but uou should try and force pressure from flank while your teammates should defend from the front.

In General: As a tenatek i highly recommend that defensive build shown up there^. You always need to strive to die less because you need to play a key role with your inkzooka and turfing capabilities to pressure the other team immensely. That defense up will help you when your in sticky situation while flanking although i recommend using ink resistance to avoid any unlucky enemy ink patches.

Hope this helped from an S+ squid.
I also would PREFER ink resistance, but I need some ink resist defense shoes, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom