• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Looks or Stats?

Looks or Stats?

• Looks! I wanna look fresh!

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Stats! All Damage Ups for dayz!

Votes: 27 60.0%

• Total voters

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
You have this particular piece of gear that you really like that you wish you owned in real life. But you have this other gear that have some good abilities to benefit you. Which would you rather prefer over the other?

AlphaOmegaSplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
phs2003
Switch Friend Code
SW-5305-7165-0622
I would honestly have to go with the stats in this case. I don't necessarily need cool-looking clothes, but I do like having good Stats.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well, there's a lot of fresh-lookin' gear with good abilities, so I needn't worry about having optimal stats at the cost of looking like a train wreck. So I can side with the stat-favoring crowd on that principle.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Stats, but there are few clothes in the game which look really bad and the ones that do usually have poor stats/boosts anyway(Gas Mask/Jungle Hat, looking at you). Sadly, there's still cool-looking gear out there that have bad stats(Octoling Armor/Special Forces Beret) which i avoid using.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
Looks but then again my fave pair of shoes has stealth jump soooo?
:shoes_lts001::shoes_lts001::shoes_lts001::shoes_lts001::shoes_lts001:

DemonPawprint

Inkling
NNID
DemonPawprint
I prefer the stats. But I usually swap out my gear for fresh stuff so I can level up different pieces of gear so that I'm always working towards new stuff and changing my looks. I don't always stick with the gear with all four slots filled up.

Zolda

Full Squid
I try as best I can to have both, but I guess I ultimately side with looks because there are some pieces of gear I find so hideous that even if they have good stats I won't use them. For example I hate the big bulky looking headpieces, like the gas mask, bike helmet, football helmet, etc. I also hate anything with polka dots or camo. Even if those items have good stats I just can't bring myself to use them.

The2ndIdentity

Inkling
NNID
ThatOneUmbreon
Like Flareth posted, I'm into stats because looks are never too much of a problem. I've never ran into an issue balancing stats and looks because there's always a combination that can end up looking nice and able to serve my needs. Like, my current build on Dual / Custom Jet Squelchers looks like this:

:head_eye007::ability_specialcharge:I:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:clothes_tes008::ability_inksavermain:I:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:shoes_cfs001::ability_damage:I:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

And since the Fake Contacts really don't make too much of a difference to any outfit, (as they don't make any change to the head,) the Rainy Day's light blue ends up working alongside the Plum Casuals' purple, I don't really have to worry too much about looks, AND I get a pretty nice build! Swim speed for dayyyys.

tl;dr, I prefer stats but I don't really ever have to worry about looks in the long run.

- The2ndIdentity

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I try to go for both, though in practice I usually find myself going for stats to complement my weapon. That said, I do have some thematically appropriate gear for the look of the weapon (e.g. a firefighter's outfit consisting of a Treasure Hunter, a White Sailor Suit and 3x Run Speed Up Blue Moto Boots for my Hydra).

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Looks :cool:

I enjoy playing dress-up with my inklings. >.>;

Sometimes when I'm playing around, mixing and matching outfits, some of my stats fall into place. But I try not to rely heavily on my gear perks during play. Also, playing with various outfits encourages me to try out perks I normally wouldn't or under different circumstances, and creates interesting perk combinations or strategies I wouldn't have thought of attempting.

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
First and foremost, I favor stats over looks. But of course if I get similar stats on a fresher piece of gear i'm gonna switch to it! My only problem is that I don't like the look of the Anchor Sweat, and it's the only cold blooded with damage up... Oh well.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
basically work my but off to have both i can't stand wearing ugly gear and i rely on my abilities since i use the bubbler so i just keep rolling until i get what works

empieflower

Senior Squid
NNID
empieflower
Switch Friend Code
SW-4855-9837-7775
It's mostly looks>stats, but I have plenty of sea snails to reroll so that way I can at least get some good stats on my fav gear.

wink

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1676-1715-3794
i tend to lean more towards looks than stats, but if it's a really nice outfit and the abilities are awful with my weapons i'll just wear something else :'^)

subata

Full Squid
NNID
cyradius
Looks....
Stats do need to be useful to me in some form though, but I wouldn't try and get triples like a rich splatfest winner would.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I go for a good mix of both, I'll pick out a stat I want and then pick my favorite out of those that have it. Sub-abilities don't matter to me as much.

Mage_Kid

Inkling
NNID
TheMageKid
I'd go for looks since I can re-roll the secondary abilities on my gear and work with what I got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom