• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Looks or Stats?

Looks or Stats?

• Looks! I wanna look fresh!

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Stats! All Damage Ups for dayz!

Votes: 27 60.0%

• Total voters

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
I go for both, but looks is a must for me. I'm not really a fan of the helmets or other bulky head gear. Not a big fan of the camo gear or anything yellow. I find the main ability I want, then look for the gear with them, then choose the best looking. If none of them fit my taste, then that's my loss. But I always must wear gear that look good together, so that's a bit of an issue, too.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Both, but looks first. If something's hideous in my eyes, I will pass it over no matter how good it might be for my playstyle. Visor skate helmet, I'm looking at you.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I would lie if I said I cared about stats more than looks. Like, I'd never let go of my trusty pilot goggles. They're that one piece of headgear that are somewhat part of my identity. Sadly, they're from Forge, so getting real good stats is almost impossible. As of now, I have a weird combination on 'em that I'll keep for now.

As for my other gear, I'm trying to embrace both. Winning Splatfests and using Super Sea Snails makes it at least bearable. Whenever I feel I have enough money and Snails, I go for a re-roll of ONE piece at a time until I'm satisfied - or paranoid about ruining it completely, whichever comes first. I wouldn't use a complete piece of trash for life even if it looked fresher than my current standard outfits. Yah, I know, freshness lies in the eye of the beholder anyway.

dylan_not_bob

Stardust Crusquider
I typically decide on a general set of stats that I want for a particular weapon. I.E focus on Special Charge and Ink Saver (Sub) for Zink Mini Splatling. Then I go on the wiki and create myself an outfit that will offer this stats. Ultimately if I can't find an outfit I like with the loadout I want, I'll edit the loadout until I find a good outfit. So, a little of both but style trumps substance for me in this game.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Both, but looks are definitely more important. I am not tryhard enough to wear some really ugly gear there is in the game solely for stats. That being said, I am building a gear catalog with enough good-looking gear for each weapon I enjoy playing. Though there are some gear like the Squidstar Waistcoat that look great and are useful for most if not all weapons I play.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I voted for stats, as it's definitely that which I search for when putting together a gear set... that said, there's some equipment (*cough cough* :clothes_vest003:) which I wouldn't use unless my life depended on it. I do try to go for slick-looking alternatives and prioritise those over Sub Abilities that I don't care about, at least.

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
I go for both, but looks is a must for me. I'm not really a fan of the helmets or other bulky head gear. Not a big fan of the camo gear or anything yellow. I find the main ability I want, then look for the gear with them, then choose the best looking. If none of them fit my taste, then that's my loss. But I always must wear gear that look good together, so that's a bit of an issue, too.
This.

However it might take a while for my desired gear to come in stock. While I wait, and while I'm figuring out/refining a build I might use something hideous for the time being. It's always swapped out when I can get my hands on something that's looking fresh :D.

Has anyone ever picked their weapon based on the main perks on a particular outfit? The leather jacket looks brutal and it has almost swayed me into using different weapons on many occasions. In my opinion it's the coolest looking item of clothing in the game by a country mile, but it comes with bomb throw distance and bombs aren't always something I use.

Last edited:

bayleef0909

Inkling
NNID
bayleef0909
I prefer abilities over looks, now that I am in S, but I still like to wear my squid-stitch hat every now and then.
(Special charge up main + 1 special charge sub, 2 quick respawn sub.)

Shun_one

Pro Squid
NNID
not_shun_one
Stats, then find the freshest combination so I don't look goofy. Play Nozzlenose, and at the end of the day you'll just kinda go "it doesn't matter if I go for stats or looks. I get splatted anyway"

SaltyCal

Full Squid
NNID
Jimbo21
Switch Friend Code
SW-2497-8552-1603
Looks. That way I can lose most of the games I play, and look good doing it.

Jei-Cos

Full Squid
NNID
JeiCos
I honestly can't pick of your choices..Not because I am undecided though..But because I choose both. Why? Because the stuff I happen to think looks good in the game,just also so happen to work out stat wise for my mains lol

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
Looks. I like the snorkel mask and the cyan trainer's damage up ability, but they look so ugly I just can't bring myself to wear them. STAY FRESH.

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
I don't go into battle without my Inkvader cap and school top. I choose shoes based on stats though.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Stats of course, and that's really unfortunate. The Inklings' charm also come with their clothing, and they're described as very stylish beings. That doesn't work out so well if you have to take ability multiplicators and main abilities into account constantly. I had to switch to a female Inkling simply because the thrown together clothes that have the abilities I need didn't suit the male. I want my Inkling to look a certain way, but this simply doesn't work with the current system. What makes this even worse is that some abilities are rare among certain gear types, making your options even more limited.

I really wish there was a way to swap gear abilities between two pieces of gear. I am aware that would be problematic, but I think there is a solution to make this work without giving the player any additional advantages.

I'd suggest to give Spyke the ability to switch the abilities (main and sub) between two pieces of gear for a high price. For example:

Swapping:

:clothes_tes006:|:ability_specialduration:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:

with

:clothes_jkt003:|:ability_damage:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:

So they become:

:clothes_tes006:|:ability_damage:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:

and

:clothes_jkt003:|:ability_specialduration:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:

Now some cheeky Squid would be absuing this of course. Because now, he has :clothes_tes006:with :ability_damage: as main ability. And since the brand is Squidforce, he has a 30% of getting strength-up as sub-ability for each slot. So with a way too high chance of 2.7%, he could get this gear: :clothes_tes006:|:ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: with only 200 tries and would have a 99.65% chance of getting it, which is simply way too easy.

So my suggestion is, lock swapped gear. Once you've swapped abilities between two gears, you cannot change either of them anymore. You can also not swap already swapped gear anymore. The only way to unlock them to be able to change them again would be to have Spyke replacing both, and that way both gear abilities would return to having their original main ability. You would not be able to replace only one of them, however.

A requirement for swapping would of course also be having all three slots of your gear present and filled with a sub-ability.

Another advantage this has is that money now also has more use, because swapping gear would be quite expensive.

A major problem with this, however, would be ordering gear. Of course they can't be having people ordering swapped gear. Swapping gear itself is a process that should cost a lot and nobody should get around those costs if they want swapped gear. You would have to order that gear with its original main ability and the sub-abilities entirely removed, since they stem from a different gear.

Another major problem, and one that could possibly ruin the game for some, is that you would no longer be able to be absolutely sure which main abilities the opponent is using.

Last edited:

lone

Inkster Jr.
NNID
loneotaku
Switch Friend Code
SW-1901-5583-6414
Looks. Probably my only qualms are that its a little annoying when really good looking gear has main abilities that aren't super useful to a playstyle I go for (Stealth Jump and Run Speed are the two things I could care less about, but some of the gear with either as a main ability are super cute), but I can live with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom