• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Losing every single time in turf wars

InklingCaitlin

Full Squid
NNID
Caitlin
Switch Friend Code
SW-0816-6246-4407
okay, recently I have been losing EVERY SINGLE TURF WAR I'M IN! I dunno if it's my team or if the game is bugged or what, but I went from having a fresh inkbrush to a dry inkbrush in a matter of a few matches! I even tried other weapons but the same exact thing happened.... Has this happened to anyone else? Or is it just me? I have never had lose after lose after lose repeatedly over and over again like this... Usually I win at least ONE match but nope... If this is a bug or something it's a pretty bad bug...

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
What does you stats look like at the end of the matches? If you are up top on your team it just sounds like you are having bad luck with team mates. If you are on the bottom a lot maybe you need to find a better weapon and try out a new play style.

Inkbrush is not really a good choice imho.

iced potato

Senior Squid
It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when people who aren't doing too well/can't figure something out assume the game might be bugged.

That's just Turf War for you and losing streaks like that happen to the best of us. I usually stop playing when I get on a losing streak and come back to play another at time on different stages. Works most of the time for me.

Berry

Senior Squid
NNID
BlazzBerry
I really hate to say this but inkbrush is really, really bad. Even if you "Know" what you're doing its entire kit just cant keep up with maps in this game.

With it you're forced to run away and even then most of the maps FORCE confrontation. if you do run then you risk letting others stay alive and paint over what you paint. I dont know how you're doin in matches but its not even remotely close to being a top contributor in turf.

In short what I'm saying is losing is to be expected with this weapon. You can win, but its certainly not a high ratio.

And even then, its turf war. Its not something that is consistant for match progress. Just try and have fun with what weapon you use :x

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
I really hate to say this but inkbrush is really, really bad. Even if you "Know" what you're doing its entire kit just cant keep up with maps in this game.

With it you're forced to run away and even then most of the maps FORCE confrontation. if you do run then you risk letting others stay alive and paint over what you paint. I dont know how you're doin in matches but its not even remotely close to being a top contributor in turf.

In short what I'm saying is losing is to be expected with this weapon. You can win, but its certainly not a high ratio.

And even then, its turf war. Its not something that is consistant for match progress. Just try and have fun with what weapon you use :x
=O I have been using the Inkbrush the last couple of days, and while it has got some weak points, it's great at inking! I normally score around 1000 points with it, according to the Splatoon app...
I think it can be hard to use if you're not used to the play style which is best implemented with the brushes (as their range is so short), but neither of them are bad at all in turf wars if you know how to use them. c: Its strong points are speed, stealth and trickery. ;D

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
=O I have been using the Inkbrush the last couple of days, and while it has got some weak points, it's great at inking! I normally score around 1000 points with it, according to the Splatoon app...
I think it can be hard to use if you're not used to the play style which is best implemented with the brushes (as their range is so short), but neither of them are bad at all in turf wars if you know how to use them. c: Its strong points are speed, stealth and trickery. ;D
The Inkbrush is okay, but the Octobrush is so much better. I'll take damage and range over speed any day.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
The Inkbrush is okay, but the Octobrush is so much better. I'll take damage and range over speed any day.
I used to think the same, but as my trigger finger is very fast (many years of gaming experience, haha), I think I can splat somebody quite quickly with the Inkbrush too, most of the time. The key is to not let yourself get seen too early, as everyone will have a better range than the Inkbrush user.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
To all the people saying the inkbrush is bad:

Yes, you're absolutely right.

However, don't tell someone not to use it just because of that.

If you ever see a good inkbrush, BE AFRAID.

To the creator of this thread:

Git gud

If you're on a perpetual losing streak, there's something wrong with your playing - don't blame it on anything else.

It might help to record a few matches, then look back at them to see where you went wrong, this way you won't be as salty and will make clearer judgements.

Helio

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
monkey.esq
Turf wars is fickle.

Suggest:
SWITCH to easier weapon (ink brush is not bad but it is hard weapon to use in turf wars, range is small, doesn't spread as much ink as a splattershot/airspay or roller). Switch gear to add more ink saver main or swim speed up. Or try a different weapon with a more special weapon focus that throws ink for turf wars, tenta missiles, rain cloud, bomb rush. Switch your gear to add a special weapon charge up gear. People are mentioning weapon choice because it makes a big difference.

CHANGE your play style. Move to center using different path. Try inking only and running from fights where you haven't taken opponent by surprise. Try running to your mates or switch it up and go where your mates aren't. Try never using sub weapon (not effective use of ink for spreading ink).

AWARE of map. When respawn or at quiet time, look at map. Look where enemy ink is growing, go there, or go where enemy isn't.

LAST 60 SECS check for ink on your side of map, go clean it. Actually go squid mode and hit map. Most of your mates will fight middle or push ahead can cover more turf if split up. Try not to die, dieing in last 60 secs is bad, it's usually far to get to where you can be useful. Actually run away from a fight. If your totally advanced at last 60 sec if your mates are alive and near middle of map push ahead, if dead or recently dead, find an area without enemies to ink, even if on enemy side and avoid fights because you have to ink.

SAVE SPECIAL WEAPON for last 60 sec if it throws a lot of ink, bomb rush, rain cloud etc. dump in large area.

Remember don't get down turf war is fickle.

SAHSWAMPY

Semi-Pro Squid
I sometimes get on long losing streaks in turf war which can get really annoying, especially if for the entire game my team was winning. Normally what I try to do is to take a break if I get on a long losing streak sometimes for a few minutes or sometimes I try again the next day. Another thing I try is (if it is available at the time) I play Salmon Run as I find it strangely relaxing :3. Just a few suggestions ^_^

The Bean

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1970-1283-5812
I'm going to side with pretty much everyone above me. Last week I was around 36 (Super Fresh or something like that) and this morning I was down to 9 (I think). Looking back it was a combination of disconnects from teammates, bad/uninspired/tired play on my part and probably going up against better players on some matches. Some matches I looked at the final tally and swear we didn't lose by 10% but stats are the stats and losing streaks seem to come and go. If you like the Inkbrush and are having fun with it, keep it up and your luck is bound to change at some point.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
To the creator of this thread:

Git gud
You for real? I wouldn't see myself as a scrub by far and even I get my occasional almost-20-battle-long losing streaks in turf. The current (nonexisting) matchmaker can break the morale of even the strongest of us squiddos. Yes, there's cases where you might contribute to the problem, but it's a common fallacy to put the blame on a single person in a team-based shooter. Especially with turf war, the tide can turn in a mere 20 seconds even with a straight lead until that very moment. One unlucky wipe is all it takes.
One may have messed up more or less than the other but ultimately you fail as a team. And sometimes, it's even beyond S+50 people to hard-carry each and every comp the matchmaker can come up with.

To OP: Despite what I said above, the Ink Brush may be more team-reliant than your average turfing weapon, in other words you're more susceptible to losses due to terribad team comps. Take a good look at your stats, i.e. K/D, points inked and keep an eye on how the battles are going. Do things go awry the moment you die? Then it's not entirely on you. Do you keep trading 1/1 all the time or even killed before you can contribute much? Then it might be time to pick up another weapon. Not all stages favor the ink brush, similar to how some stages are more diffucult to play a charger in, so you might want to take a good look at your situation and see how you can minimize the matchmaker's randomness. Not all battles can be won, of course, but sometimes switching things up can be the change of pace you needed to break a losing streak.

Good luck out there. I feel ya.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
You for real? I wouldn't see myself as a scrub by far and even I get my occasional almost-20-battle-long losing streaks in turf. The current (nonexisting) matchmaker can break the morale of even the strongest of us squiddos. Yes, there's cases where you might contribute to the problem, but it's a common fallacy to put the blame on a single person in a team-based shooter. Especially with turf war, the tide can turn in a mere 20 seconds even with a straight lead until that very moment. One unlucky wipe is all it takes.
One may have messed up more or less than the other but ultimately you fail as a team. And sometimes, it's even beyond S+50 people to hard-carry each and every comp the matchmaker can come up with.

To OP: Despite what I said above, the Ink Brush may be more team-reliant than your average turfing weapon, in other words you're more susceptible to losses due to terribad team comps. Take a good look at your stats, i.e. K/D, points inked and keep an eye on how the battles are going. Do things go awry the moment you die? Then it's not entirely on you. Do you keep trading 1/1 all the time or even killed before you can contribute much? Then it might be time to pick up another weapon. Not all stages favor the ink brush, similar to how some stages are more diffucult to play a charger in, so you might want to take a good look at your situation and see how you can minimize the matchmaker's randomness. Not all battles can be won, of course, but sometimes switching things up can be the change of pace you needed to break a losing streak.

Good luck out there. I feel ya.
Yes I know how it sounded, my main point was to stop blaming the game and to start figuring out where you need to improve.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Yes I know how it sounded, my main point was to stop blaming the game and to start figuring out where you need to improve.
The game's matchmaker is borked and you can ask plenty people in with skill™ who share the same experience from time to time. Some even report to experiencing horrible matchmaking every second day. While it isn't a reason to blame all loses on the game itself there is just so much a player can sometimes do, y'know? All I'm saying is losing streaks will happen, either because of the matchmaker stacking the odds against you every now and then or because you underperformed. Bad days can and will happen, evil matchmaker™ or not and your weapon selection does play a huge role what your odds look like.

It doesn't help that some teammates are choosing to meme or squid party either, or they'd just throw matches altogether. I've had my fair share of everything and what I'm saying is: There will be losses due to factors outside of your power and you shouldn't get bummed when losing streaks happen. I'm not saying "blame the game yo", but going full "blame yo-self" isn't the correct answer either. There is rarely a complete black or white answer to these situations, unless OP is inking like 200 points and having a fully negative KD each and every time. So what I suggested is basically, look how you're doing (the app is free of charge), look at how you can step up your game and in my experience one of the best ways to do that is to switch weapons for a while and see how things go - more likely than not you do not only improve your gameplay and experience but also end up adding more weapons to your loadout and that can't hurt. I'd say look at your recorded gameplay sure, but that requires a capture card and that's not feasible for everyone. Unless OP is going full comp it's too extreme to suggest. :D

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
It's not entirely OP's fault, matchmaking in TW is really awful in this game for some reason. Teams and weapon comps are thrown together with little reason or thought. Sometimes there will be 3 chargers on one team and zero on the other, and one group will have all the lvl10< and the others will have all the lvl40>. There may be something complicated going on in the matchmaking, but from what I've seen it's probably not working.

It also doesn't help that a lot of people are trying to get flags for their weapon, meaning you'll meet a lot of shaky E-Liters and bamboozlers who are stuck in a perpetual self-inflicted hell of trying to get to superfresh.

Aside from that, the best advice i can give for TW is to not die in the last 30 to 10 seconds. I've lost so many games because of that. But if you really cannot stomach the matchmaking, you can also try Ranked, the lobbies are a little bit better there.

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
As a charger main, I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. I have some terrible losing streaks that really makes me lose moral. Turf Wars can be so brutal sometimes. Just switching lobbies or changing up weapon or gear can help though. Maybe even take a little break. Don't take it too harsh and just keep trying to have fun!

Also, I'm aware that taking a charger into Turf Wars is a terrible idea but that's my fav weapon class so I just suffer. X3

UnChosen

Inkster Jr.
If the map rotation does not include a map with reasonably accessible flanking path I would not use the Inkbrush.

Good maps: Kelp Dome, Manta Maria, Musselforge Fitness, Sturgeon Shipyard, Snapper Canal, Starfish Mainstage
Ok maps: Humpback Pump Track, The Reef
Avoid at all cost: Moray Tower, Port Mackerel, Inkblot Academy

Inkblot is an absolute nightmare for the Inkbrush because no matter which way I go I can be easily seen by someone on the central tower, there is no way to get behind enemy line, and there is no way to infiltrate their spawn without going through the most dangerous area in the map and going up a reverse facing wall.

Kelp Dome is the best stage for the Inkbrush because I can just zoom into their spawn by rolling on the grates and the enemies have to go all the way around or walk slowly on the grate to catch me. If no one on the team is respawning I am pretty much completely safe to ink their spawn.

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
okay, recently I have been losing EVERY SINGLE TURF WAR I'M IN! I dunno if it's my team or if the game is bugged or what, but I went from having a fresh inkbrush to a dry inkbrush in a matter of a few matches! I even tried other weapons but the same exact thing happened.... Has this happened to anyone else? Or is it just me? I have never had lose after lose after lose repeatedly over and over again like this... Usually I win at least ONE match but nope... If this is a bug or something it's a pretty bad bug...
I feel like UnChosen said it the best.

Some maps just don't go well with certain weapons. So changing things up might help you break free from a losing streak.
I also suggest taking a break. I know not everyone likes to hear that... but when you play a game as intense as this for a long time, you might get a little frustrated and stressed. Taking short breaks will give you the chance to cool down and recompose yourself, and that might be all you need to be a boss. :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom