• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Losing streaks

GJMexico

Inkling
NNID
GJmxic0
I feel as though Nintendo or the infinite universe just doesn't want me to advance through the ranks. For example, I go into a game trying to support my team by covering land and getting objectives. I pretty much sacrifice myself aceing the other team single handedly but my team is no where to be found. They're shooting land that in no way helps us win the game and we lost a free advantage. It frustrates me. And when I'm the only one defending a three man tower rush while they're chasing a brusher that's half way across the map.

I'm a pretty decent player and I really wish to improve, but how am I supposed to do that when I get matched with the most incompetent Splatoon players on earth? Anyone else have experiences like this?

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I have stuff like this happen sometimes. Like, I'll flank and wipe out the entire enemy team (or just 2-3 people, still great lead), and the ONLY THING the other 3 people need to be doing it covering the zone/jumping on the tower/picking up the rainmaker. People care about killing too much, and sometimes even just run around pointlessly. You could say I care about killing, but if the enemy team has no people, we can make a major push, so therefore I'm still focusing lot's on the objective. While they just ink around in obscure areas. You can't really do much, just hope they improve, and it surely doesn't happen every game.

GJMexico

Inkling
NNID
GJmxic0
That is exactly what I'm talking about. Kills don't matter in the sense that it will give you more points for yourself. It does matter if it helps you win games and gives you extra time.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
the higher rank you get the less of those issues there are i'm S ranked on 3 squids and all 3 i average 6/6 to 8/8 per game on all toons but i do my job and most of the time so does my team my losing streaks are usually do to bad gun composition on a certain map which i can't control.

Crystal C

Inkster Jr.
I can personally say that as an s+ player these really aren't issues in our rank or even just s rank for that matter.
However I know what you mean. As an example I am currently working a second account to s+ and when I was in b rank there were a number of matches where I was using the hydra Splattling and no matter how many people I splatted and no matter how much I focused on the rainmaker my team was no where to be found or super jumped into imminent death. So basically I had to do all the work myself and granted I did and we won but that doesn't mean it wasn't very annoying.

Color

Inkster Jr.
NNID
cubecolor
Unfortunately its something you gotta deal with while rising through the ranks, I've lost track of the games I won by single-handily carrying my entire team. What's even worse is RM and TC require team work, and if your team doesn't know how to support each other you're bound to have problems. Spamming the c'mon button doesn't work much either when they're so preoccupied with special charging and being too afraid to advance. Just stay determined!

dbrandts

Inkster Jr.
NNID
brandts-buys
I'm currently an S rank and I've noticed on some battles some of my teammates just hiding in the ink really close to our spawn point, not contributing to the objective. It frustrates me since I want to move to S+ but get grouped with people like this.

Shun_one

Pro Squid
NNID
not_shun_one
You are not alone. The best reactions are to leave said lobbies and try your luck again. And when all else fails, just go Squad Up with another player from here or someone you know.

If you're on a losing streak and just feel like you're getting blown away, take a break and come back. Sometimes it helps a ton.

Sgo-J

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yulwei
I don't know what the S and S+ players are on about. I've been to S+ and back to S several times and I can assure you that team mates play like absolute retards in these ranks making every single mistake that OP mentions and more. I created an alt account and I have to say there's nothing distinguishing some S rank players from C rank players

dbrandts

Inkster Jr.
NNID
brandts-buys
I don't know what the S and S+ players are on about. I've been to S+ and back to S several times and I can assure you that team mates play like absolute retards in these ranks making every single mistake that OP mentions and more. I created an alt account and I have to say there's nothing distinguishing some S rank players from C rank players
Very true. I see a lot of S players that make some poor decisions.

Color

Inkster Jr.
NNID
cubecolor
I've said this before, but there's a huge skill gap in S because of the lack of S-, so a lot of S players absolutely suck because they where either carried there through squads with higher ranked friends, or got lucky. I cant even tell you the amount of times I lost my cool in S rank because so many of my mates played like B's. It's frustrating.

dbrandts

Inkster Jr.
NNID
brandts-buys
I've said this before, but there's a huge skill gap in S because of the lack of S-, so a lot of S players absolutely suck because they where either carried there through squads with higher ranked friends, or got lucky. I cant even tell you the amount of times I lost my cool in S rank because so many of my mates played like B's. It's frustrating.
Yeah I feel the same way. I assume many people play ranked squad battles with high ranked friends until they hit A+ 99 and then do a quick solo ranked match and win to get the S.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Welcome to online Splatoon, where players act like they dont know what theyre doing and contribute absolutely nothing to the team. They are so useless that you might as well accept the fact that they wont help and resign yourself to doing all the work. It's really annoying, but this is the mentality you must have in order to win. That said, I do not believe that all losses should be blamed on your teammates, as I'm sure you've had teammates who did stupendously. There are still ways in which you can turn things around. It's just a matter of figuring out what to do and what not to do. It's all situational. I've had losing streaks myself many times, but the funny thing is I often get winning streaks right after, making me perpetually stuck at the same number in my rank(I have gone back and forth between S and S+ many times). This tells me there are still ways in which I can improve. I feel like I should play more patiently and look at the gamepad more besides when I'm respawning to get an idea of where the enemies are. Trouble is when you're in the heat of battle and have no time to do that. But this is for me. It's different for every player, so I can't give specific tips on how you could improve, at least without seeing some of your gameplay.

dbrandts

Inkster Jr.
NNID
brandts-buys
Welcome to online Splatoon, where players act like they dont know what theyre doing and contribute absolutely nothing to the team. They are so useless that you might as well accept the fact that they wont help and resign yourself to doing all the work. It's really annoying, but this is the mentality you must have in order to win. That said, I do not believe that all losses should be blamed on your teammates, as I'm sure you've had teammates who did stupendously. There are still ways in which you can turn things around. It's just a matter of figuring out what to do and what not to do. It's all situational. I've had losing streaks myself many times, but the funny thing is I often get winning streaks right after, making me perpetually stuck at the same number in my rank(I have gone back and forth between S and S+ many times). This tells me there are still ways in which I can improve. I feel like I should play more patiently and look at the gamepad more besides when I'm respawning to get an idea of where the enemies are. Trouble is when you're in the heat of battle and have no time to do that. But this is for me. It's different for every player, so I can't give specific tips on how you could improve, at least without seeing some of your gameplay.
I thought about that after I left my comment. My gameplan from now on should be: Step 1 - play as technical as possible and assist teammates when appropriate. If any teammates are not playing to win, well I can't control that so back to Step 1. lol.

luna_runes

Inkster Jr.
NNID
lilak-krypt
I definitely know the feeling. What's really frustrating is when I have a few good days of winning near constantly, but then I log in one day and I do nothing but lose. I get tempted to blame my teammates, but I know there's always room for improvement on my part.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I have a rule of thumb I go by: If I lose three matches in a row, I take a break. Whether I'm not playing well, my teammates aren't, or any other factor is at play, when that happens the odds are clearly not in my favor so I step away. Best way to end a losing streak is to know when to stop.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
honetly go to an alt when all goes bad for awhile, and there is always a ton of room for improvement you just have to be honest with yourself for me when i'm pinned in a corner i absolutely keep forgetting to super jump out due to the heat of the battle and one day i will start to remember lol........................some maps just arn't great for certain guns so master a few so you have options.

shy

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2855-0246-7213
Losing streaks were pretty common for me until I tried out the zinc mini splatling.
It's actually the only weapon I ever use.

Coco24

Inkling
It is so asthonishing to see S-ranked players suck so much. I've ranked down so many times before just because my teammates didn't choose to do their part... Best thing to do is hope that you get paired with smart players that assist others so that you can help them too!

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
Well, that topic just shows up everywhere. Most of the players (I don't know how many but I would say an eeeeasy 60%) are feeling their teammates are bad. From my point of view, you can't expect much from them, as you have almost no way to communicate with them. Obviously they'll never play as you think they should, they don't even kno what you think or do most of the time.

But as I said in other topics, luck balances out with the amount of games. So even if your teammates are bad, your opponents are not better. You can't just say "I played 1000 games, and in 900 of them, the other team had better players". Even if you play several times with the same players, the teams are miwed everytime, so having a losing streak should be as much your fault than your mates' fault.

I'm pretty sure the other problem is that ratio is way too overrated. For instance you see a lot of players saying "I killed three, my teammates didn't do anything!". But well, most of the time, it means "actually, I killed 2 and exchanged, and I was able to do that because the ones I killed were killing my mates". Between someone playing 10-3 with a very defensive style and someone with the same 10-3 with the always-agressive-or-flanking plan, the game isn't the same at all.

My advice is: never consider what you did was good if you die. Obviously it's too much and quite wrong, but if you follow this for a while, this might change your playstyle in a way that makes you win more (and at least it's interesting to try). Because by not dying, you stop relying on others. When you're with your squad, you can tell "take the tower", but not in solo, so don't expect them to know they can. In S+ it's pretty much OK I feel, guys always are looking at the squids up there, but it will never be as you like. You'll still feel like they're bad, even though they were able to carry S teams to go S+.

So well, by not dying you can play the objective, or kill, or do whatever you want. When you die you're forced to rely on your teammates for a while, the same ones you're saying are bad. And that seems like a bad plan.

And well, they're probably thinking you're bad too, even putting it on squidboards possibly, like "I was defending the whole game alone, guys were either flanking the whole game while their timing was bad, only killed the useless ones or turfed some useless area". That's what the lack of communication does (like in some love couples! :p).

PS: About bad jumps, well, I say "come on" when my mates are spawning, and most of the time they like the spots I'm choosing for them, so I can forced them to jump safe. If they still try very bad jumps, well, I can either try to save them (not recommended in a lot of situations) or just use them as decoy (easier when you feel it's risky to try a save).

PPS: I never actually had real losing streaks (I'm not sure I ever lost 10 games in a row, even when trying new weapons), and I think it's mainly because I make decent decisions and know how to secure a win.

PPPS (yeah!): It's kinda weird to see people saying the ranks are messed up like S and C aren't much different, and yet are having alts accounts... As obviously, having an S/S+ player at B/C is messing up the ranks. And that seems quite common (while I can't really see the reasons why having alt accounts).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom