• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Love the game, but I'm just about done with it.

Shiranui

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shiranui
I don't know what it is about multiplayer games, but they sure like to put me with the terrible people. I had level 20s that were getting 300 points a game tonight. After playing 40 games, I lost 32 of them tonight while averaging 900-1000 points. I quickly gave up on ranked after 8 games and ending up at 30 points. Anyone else having these problems?

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Level 20 does not equal skill. It equals time played.

The way I see it, playing with randos is always going to be a mixed bag. Try not to let the losses get to you, and just try having fun. I understand that you want to win, and honestly, everyone does. However, not everyone is of similar skill in this game. If you find yourself having bad luck with matchmaking, then take a break, cool off, and play again.

Shiranui

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shiranui
If I'm going 50/50 I don't really have a problem, but c'mon, 4/5? I'm not having fun at all at that point. It's been like that the last two days, and playing ranked only makes it more aggravating.

ZypkerGaming

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ZypkerGaming
We all have bad luck at games at some point in our gaming experiences. It's pretty much inevitable.

Try not to get the bad luck get to you, and if you are losing by a long shot, take the time to improve your skills, tactics, and explore the map thoroughly.

Metal Slug

Level 30, Rank A+
NNID
MegiLuka
All I have to say is, stick in rooms. Don't always quit after a match. Often the winners stay and get mixed around. (Most of the time)

Beariie

Full Squid
I feel you on the teammates thing. Theres been so many games where you can just have those "Passive" teammates that will never venture into enemy territory even if you just scored a quad kill. Then always catch myself looking at my gamepad, facepalming when i see a strong lead get reversed in the last 10 seconds when those same teammates die and half our base is another color.

rokami

Inkling
NNID
83byte
Maybe it's because I just keep losing, but I'm really not having a lot of fun with the Splat Zones mode. It doesn't really feel very competitive to me, it just seems like "Hey, whoever gets here first wins!" and that's the end of it. Again, maybe i'm just being a sore loser, but I don't know.

PolarisAegis

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kirbyfreek33
I don't know what it is about multiplayer games, but they sure like to put me with the terrible people. I had level 20s that were getting 300 points a game tonight. After playing 40 games, I lost 32 of them tonight while averaging 900-1000 points. I quickly gave up on ranked after 8 games and ending up at 30 points. Anyone else having these problems?
I certainly agree on the splat zones end. I'm not losing as many, but as a charger main I feel like every win I have isn't really due to any of my own play but more like it's a win despite my having been a detriment to my team by not being a splattershot jr. or something. It just doesn't feel satisfying like Turf War does.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Try playing with friends more often or people you know. Randoms make things way more difficult.

Nonstop_Bop

Inkling
All I have to say is, stick in rooms. Don't always quit after a match. Often the winners stay and get mixed around. (Most of the time)
Speaking of this, i feel like there is almost no team mixing. Maybe it's just because there's only 8 players per lobby, but I've noticed most of the time only 1 player gets traded from the winning/losing team, which is pretty unhelpful when your other 2 teammates are averaging ~300P. I normally wouldn't care about a win/loss ratio, but that +300P win bonus is so influential on how fast you level up in this game.

EDIT: Also, in regards to the main topic; nobody, I mean NOBODY will care about your w/l ratio in public matchmaking. If you are a competitive player then you should only worry about your team's wins against other competitive teams in custom games (coming August), but public matches are a joke for trying to sum up your skill. Don't let it get you down. The only drawback from losing in online is not getting the +300P bonus, but you'll live. Stay strong.

Last edited:

Krozo

Full Squid
NNID
KrozoMagnus
I haven't had this problem in the slightest. Sure, I end up 4/5 times being the best on my team (not trying to be boastful), but I win 75% or more of the games I play. It really sucks you've had this bad experience. Maybe take a day or two off of the game and come back and see if your luck has changed.
Hope I could lift up your spirits, but I would say to stick with it after a little break.

Marshy

Inkling
I sometimes get 3 of my teammates score 0.. That frustrates me! I dislike splat zones very much. Its a horrible design, and ends unfairly all the time. Im hoping for either a free for all mode with lot of colours, or a 2v2v2v2 mode. Even a mode where the aim is actually to splat each other, and you get rewarded for splat-streaks.

2dtoday

Inkling
NNID
2dtoday
If your losing 4 out of every 5 games, it's time to consider if YOU might be part of the problem. Racking up a ton of points isn't doing your team any favors if you're not where they need you to be when they need you to be there.

redadil4

Inkster Jr.
NNID
leatherbelt
Can agree with the playing with friends idea, it makes it more interesting. Against them is even more fun because I talk **** every time i kill them

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
If your losing 4 out of every 5 games, it's time to consider if YOU might be part of the problem. Racking up a ton of points isn't doing your team any favors if you're not where they need you to be when they need you to be there.
I hate to be rude but this guy is spot on. It's team game with only 4 players, one player can absolutely be the deciding factor. Assuming you have a 50% chance to be on the winning team, losing 32/40 is kinda improbable. Maybe you should look at the common factor all those teams had, which is you.
This goes double for ranked. I didn't drop a single game on my way from c- to c+. I didn't just get really lucky with those teammates, I stepped up and became the deciding factor.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
I can understand why you feel that way. The game seems to put teams together according to level: the closer they are level-wise, the more likely the are to be on the same team together. This often leads to games where the match is completely unfair with high leveled players on one team and lower leveled on the other. But, I just see this as an incentive to get to a higher level. Yes it's frustrating but it's nothing compared to the frustration in ranked battles.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
if you can't solo carry C-rank trench, you're not B-rank material
if you are the only person inking on your team in a losing match you should be getting 1.2k+
if you are utterly convinced that it is not you and that it is instead your team, add some good players, join them, and see how you do

basically you're tilting and it's rendering you unable to acknowledge your own skill level, however high or low that may be. blaming your team is never a good thing, even if it's true. I've been solo carrying ranked and unranked the entire time I've been playing the game and I haven't played a console shooter in years.

take from this what you will of course, but you probably should lower your expectations

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
I'd like to recommend you all this video by Extra Credits. It explains a little about random chance in Esports, and makes some suggestions on how people should handle it.

Think of your teammates as a random factor. The thing with random chance is that it can and will go both ways eventually. While the better player might lose a given game due to bad luck, they will, over time, win more matches than a lesser player.

If you find yourself losing constantly, then you might in fact not be that good a player yet. Keep in mind that in Turf Wars, your point total only counts how much turf you've painted. That's a nice way to encourage people from just going after useless splats all the time, but it's not a very good measure of how much you've contributed to the team effort. If you paint a lot of turf, but the opposition easily claims it back, you've scored a lot of points, but contributed very little.

I myself went from C- to B- in about three, four hours of playtime. I knew what needed to be done, picked for myself a role that would help get it done, and fulfilled that role quite successfully. There is no way I just happened to end up on the winning side that often, so I have absolutely no qualms about claiming that I was the better player on the field during that time.

Sigakure

Inkster Jr.
NNID
martinengo
I hate to be rude but this guy is spot on. It's team game with only 4 players, one player can absolutely be the deciding factor. Assuming you have a 50% chance to be on the winning team, losing 32/40 is kinda improbable. Maybe you should look at the common factor all those teams had, which is you.
This goes double for ranked. I didn't drop a single game on my way from c- to c+. I didn't just get really lucky with those teammates, I stepped up and became the deciding factor.
Being the deciding factor it's possible, but sometimes also depends on the enemies.

If I have 3 bad players on my team, and I'm against 2 good players and 2 bads, it's possible to win, but really hard. If three of them are good-decent players, and I'm with 3 bad players, then the probabilities are really really low, but of course, I'm not a pro, I know you have made really nice scores, so you might be one of the few exceptiones that can play against three skill players or even four by him/herself, but in most of the occasions, when there are decent players involved, the team with more decent players will win.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Being the deciding factor it's possible, but sometimes also depends on the enemies.

If I have 3 bad players on my team, and I'm against 2 good players and 2 bads, it's possible to win, but really hard. If three of them are good-decent players, and I'm with 3 bad players, then the probabilities are really really low, but of course, I'm not a pro, I know you have made really nice scores, so you might be one of the few exceptiones that can play against three skill players or even four by him/herself, but in most of the occasions, when there are decent players involved, the team with more decent players will win.
See, that's exactly the wrong mindset. Do not look at a single given match. Look at the big picture, and see how well you are doing over a large amount of games. That is a far better measure of your skill level than just that one game that you may or may not have won due to luck alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom