• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Map Discussion: Flounder Heights

ArcEmpyreus

Creative Consultant
I do NOT like this map for turf wars. There's far too much to cover which is an issue due to the nature of turf wars. Alot of matches on other maps can be won on a last ditch effort and that is not the case on Flounder Heights. If you're losing, you'll probably stay losing, even if you push hard at the end. There are no heroes in Flounder Heights.

Besides that it's a great map. The verticality really adds to the stage. it almost creates a false sense of hope for the poor long range weapons, as there's no real safe place to "Snipe" from.

Right Whale

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Ciano365
This map, is my least favorite. It has too many sneaky routes, such as climbing up walls. The splat zones placement, I don't like at all. The overall scale of the map is too big for Splatoon's standards. I hope I will enjoy the bridge map more.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
Starting to like this map a lot, it's easy to access the middle section but it's one of the biggest middle sections, if not the biggest, in the game (Saltspray doesn't really have a middle like that but you get what I'm saying). It really fits the game, swimming up walls to maneuver the map, snipers are balanced here (unlike Moray) since it's easy to sneak up on one but there's plenty of vertical differences.

Martin Lynch

Inkling
Regardless, I love it already. It's so big, which gives plenty of ways around the map (though I wish most of the Rainmaker teams I got stuck on realized this, they always just tried to power through center; we won some, but it was still annoying), and it's got verticality, which I like on any Splatoon map (especially in the center, feels nice to control the top of the map, even just briefly).
If you get the chance to play Flounder Heights in Rainmaker mode, try using a shooter with a long range, or use any weapon with the Suction Bomb. Run to the bottom of the center, then splat the Rainmaker from below.

ZypkerGaming

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ZypkerGaming
I love this map because of how big it is. Big maps = Lots of points = Lots of coins = Lots of rewards. My only problem is that you can't invade enemy territory too much / you can't spawn kill. I wish there was some way to access the parts near enemy base. Otherwise, solid map.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I love this map because of how big it is. Big maps = Lots of points = Lots of coins = Lots of rewards. My only problem is that you can't invade enemy territory too much / you can't spawn kill. I wish there was some way to access the parts near enemy base. Otherwise, solid map.
Honestly, I think doing in the whole enemy team at once is its own reward. You're right about the map being awesome for grinding, though. I'm easily reaching near the 1000s range without the win bonus. It's up there in turf point heaven with Kelp Dome and Camp Triggerfish.

Aerotop

Inkling
I love the overall design of the stage, but that's beside the point. Anyway, I find that, in Splat Zones, at least, since the two zones you're fighting for control over are so close, and since so much of the fighting takes place here, it's a pretty compressed battlefield. Since the walls are pretty useful for sneaking up on opponents on the other side, I think it's worthwhile to take a quick glance every now and then at the area below you, and overall the fighting here is pretty intense but can be taken advantage of pretty easily by both sides.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've found that this map is steep enough that it's actually possible to sneak under the FOV of snipers.

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
I don't feel like doing a big writeup or anything yet but this may be my favorite map. Its terrain gives it the most "playground" feel in any mode.

OmegaExcalibur~

Inkling
NNID
NaughtyPotatoowo
This map is kind of hard for Rollers because they have to fling ink for 10 seconds to get up the walls. Also, it makes you an easy target because you're mainly focused on flinging ink on the walls and not any other inklings. Besides that, weapons that cover a large amount of turf such as Aerosprays or Rollers are quite useful in this map, because it's as huge as Kelp Dome.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
It's weird how every new map in Splatoon seems to get bigger and bigger. I like big maps, they give you more freedom and actually balance risk and reward with superjumping more, but the old maps feel very small now (especially Skatepark is a joke).

I like Flounder Heights a lot. Rollers and short-ranged weapons are having a hard time here, but it's a great map for chargers and long-ranged shooters. The only issue I can see at the moment is how fast Rainmaker matches can end here. Even though the map is big, the RM route is ridiculously short.
Oh and it's very easy to spawn camp, if you make it all the way up to the enemies spawn.

Helio

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
monkey.esq
I like how it isn't narrow corridors but surmountable obstacles. You can ink up the walls and make your own path.

Splat zones are ridiculously intense. Chargers have discovered they can hit the spat zones from their own territory.

Tower control is really fun too.

You get so used to having a safe home base you can camp and kill at the spawn.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I like how it isn't narrow corridors but surmountable obstacles. You can ink up the walls and make your own path.
Yeah, I never really noticed until yesterday, but damn near everything is inkable. Makes getting around very freeform (<am I using that word correctly?). Which is good, at least I think so.

Splat zones are ridiculously intense. Chargers have discovered they can hit the spat zones from their own territory.
WAIT
WHAT
HOW
IS IT JUST E-LITERS OR CAN SPLATTERSCOPES DO IT TOO

Tower control is really fun too.
This is true, at least in my experience. I was kind of disappointed that it wasn't on the high ground at first, but it's actually a good thing, I think.

Power

Inkling Commander
Yeah, I never really noticed until yesterday, but damn near everything is inkable. Makes getting around very freeform (<am I using that word correctly?). Which is good, at least I think so.

WAIT
WHAT
HOW
IS IT JUST E-LITERS OR CAN SPLATTERSCOPES DO IT TOO

This is true, at least in my experience. I was kind of disappointed that it wasn't on the high ground at first, but it's actually a good thing, I think.
Scopes can do it sometimes, but obviously their range is limited in comparison to the 3k. That spot he is talking about is actually pretty sick. I have thwarted many enemy attempts at zones and rainmaker just by standing there. Also, the spot is very safe, they would have to jump down, bust out a zooka, or get into a charger battle in order to get you. You can still use great cover. Amazing spot imo, just don't get to complacent there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom