• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Mario Kart 9 (or 10) vs Nintendo Kart

Cephalobro

With the recent discussion about Nintendo's next kart game, I thought I could provide my own thoughts about the whole debate as it has been fairly divided in half.

So I thought it would be a good idea to give my own thoughts and interpretations about the next kart game from Nintendo.

If the next game is Mario Kart 9 (or 10), I would guess it would probably return to just Mario (and related series) characters. But I feel like limiting the roster like how it was done with 8 and its port isn't the way to do this. There are lots of Mario spin-off and side series games that Nintendo can pull from that can easily take the place of the dozens of character clones taking too many slots. Characters like Fawful, Professor E. Gadd, and even Captain Syrup would've made great additions to the Mario Kart roster, heck, Wario Ware alone has enough unique characters who could also be racers. Even if it's just Mario Kart, it never hurts to bring characters from series related to Mario, even if made by another developer.

If the next game would be a Nintendo Kart, the possibility of characters joining the race basically skyrockets because unlike Smash where typically only protagonists and antagonists (with a few exceptions off course) get to join the Smash roster while a lot more would either become collectibles or summoned to assist, a Nintendo Kart would allow just about anyone from a Nintendo franchise to join, from story-important NPCs like Groose from Skyward Sword, to a Pokemon like Toxtricity from Sword and Shield.

And the track possibility for both outcomes would diversify even more. And this is not even getting to the possible combination of original kart parts that would be available, allowing for even more possible combinations. But regardless of which outcome, the game would still be called Mario Kart simply because of brand recognition. The name Mario Kart is simply too iconic to give it up.

Now as for which side I take? I personally choose Nintendo Kart because it would not only encompass all of the Mario-related series, but also other Nintendo franchises as well, having major possibilities that could even revive many of the now-abandoned Nintendo franchises created over the years. This is only a good thing since Smash Bros. will likely take even longer to get a new entry, so having another popular game bring attention to these other series would definitely introduce old, forgotten characters to a new generation of players, which can bring new suggestions about reviving the series in which the characters come from. (And yeah, I know my examples for Nintendo Kart were characters from series that will guarantee get new entries, but those were just examples of anyone from a Nintendo series would be able to join, regardless if they are a main character or not.)

Last edited:

wink

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1676-1715-3794
i LOVE the idea of Mario Kart becoming more like a "Nintendo Kart"! i think the Mario characters are really fun, especially the weirder ones (King Boo, Petey Piranha, Honey Queen), but it's soooo cool when they include characters from other series!!! i was super happy to see Inklings make an appearance in MK8D.

if i were to pick another Nintendo character to be a racer, it'd definitely be Kirby. i think a Kirby course to go with would be super cute! i'm imagining it'd be like Green Greens. also, this is absolutely NEVER happening, but my dream is for Mametchi from Tamagotchi to enter the mainline games. he was already featured in an arcade Mario Kart and he's great in it.
(When you pick him and he says ba-be-bi..... WAAAAAAAAAAA T_T)

Last edited:

Cephalobro

I LOVE the idea of Mario Kart becoming more like a "Nintendo Kart"! I think the Mario characters are really fun, especially the weirder ones (King Boo, Petey Piranha, Honey Queen), but it's soooo cool when they include characters from other series!!! I was super happy to see Inklings make an appearance in MK8D.

If I were to pick another Nintendo character to be a racer, it'd definitely be Kirby. I think a Kirby course to go with would be super cute! I'm imagining it'd be like Green Greens. Also, this is absolutely NEVER happening, but my dream is for Mametchi from Tamagotchi to enter the mainline games. He was already featured in an arcade Mario Kart and he's great in it.
(When you pick him and he says ba-be-bi..... WAAAAAAAAAAA T_T)
Yeah, any Nintendo character outside of the Mario series would be great to be included in a Mario Kart, even non-main character ones.

frankus

Banned (6 points)
Mario Kart is awesome. Adding all kinds of characters is what makes the game great but what would really make me want to ride the bike around my house is adding in the Trail Hogs. I could see Frankus shooting
1644888884574.png
from his Hog, Egg McMan egging people down, Bicycle Mike and Bicycle Pete passing on the left and right of you, Hong Kong John karate kicking some of the kart racers, Hillbilly Jim using the pitchfork, Janitor Steve shooting a plunger from his plunger bow and arrow, The Ink Burglar shooting invisible ink which you get stuck in, Peg Leg Pete riding a scooter with a rocket powered by cooking grease and spitting a jug of rum at you, Rocket Jeff shooting rockets, and Kalamari Keith hawking looges at the drivers. Wait... this might be a lot of fun. I need to get working on my career so I can work for Nintendo!

iVialeko

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5878-9511-9588
I do 100% agree that there should be a bigger inclusion of characters, items, customization, and tracks from other Nintendo franchises. And I wouldn't mind a name change-up either, since this franchise has been going on past 10 installments for a while, with the 15th being inevitable. About the name though; I personally never really took the best liking when the word around of this next hypothetical cross-over racing game of question was being coined as "Nintendo Kart." It sounded just a little too corporate to me. "Mario Kart" has always had a good ring to it, and feels more of a wholesome name. I don't know what other name they could choose for this though. There should definitely be more of an emphasis on other franchises though for sure. It's almost a crime how underused some of this company's IP's are lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom