Metal Gear Sol-Squid: Ninja Squid + Carbon Roller

batprince

Inkling
NNID
sailorscouts
Recently, I've been using this tactic in a lot of Ranked matches, and it works surprisingly well. Using the Ninja Squid perk with a Carbon Roller makes magic. Just get behind the frontlines, and when your enemy least expects it, jump out of the ink and flick 'em with the roller for a KO. It wipes out players quickly, and also causes a sense of paranoia, therefor distracting the other team; For example, the last match I did this technique in (the mode was Splat Zones, map was Urchin Underpass) after I had popped out and killed some squids on the other team a few times, they got paranoid and started inking EVERYWHERE around their base trying to find me, giving my team time to conquer. Anyone else try this strategy yet?

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
tbh You don't need ninja squid to make a lot of these kinds of plays, with a roller; you just need to be passive aggressive and or learn how to back door well. While the nerf wasn't horrid to this perk, it isn't welcome ether. The perk is "ok," but cold blooded is just a stronger choice for short range weapons.

batprince

Inkling
NNID
sailorscouts
True, but still a good strategy. I honestly wish more articles of clothing had Cold Blooded. It's a great perk but it looks like there's only a few shirts that have it. Bummer.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
There is a tentatek, squidforce, zink, and firefin shirt with coldblooded. Pretty diverse if you ask me. Ninja squid is honestly the worst ability ever. Just swim slow and nobody will see you. Swim Speed up will increase the speed at which you can swim w/o making waves. and ninja swim is 100% countered by echolocators, while cold blooded gives you the advantage when somebody uses an echolocator (they'll see your locator disappear and think you've died.) for carbon roller I would recommend the squidforce shirt, as damage increses your flick OHKO range and makes your burst bombs more useful. But if you play ksr you might want to consider the zink shirt to make it easier to abuse beakons.

Macaque

Inkster Jr.
NNID
R-Gray-S
Ninja squid is honestly the worst ability ever. Just swim slow and nobody will see you.
That's exactly what I used to believe until I tried ninja squid. It's not the same as swimming slowly; the ability would not have been nerfed if this were true. It lets you swim straight up to patient snipers and kill them, hide from krakens, and wreak general havoc.

It seems to be best used aggressively and most effective with the high ink spread ambush type weapons. If you're a roller it's completely awesome. It's not so great with weapons such as Gals and Splattershot Pro which aren't great at spreading ink. The slightest gap in coverage is enough to reveal your position when passing over.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Yeah, you're a bit late on this lel. For my Carbon Roller I instead focus on increasing it's versatility by buffing it's Burst Bombs. I'll save the super aggro Ninja Squid build for the Deco version with it's Seekers.

Typhlosion09

Pro Squid
NNID
Typhlosion09
Those who think ninja squid is bad is greatly mistaken. Best shirt perk in my opinion, possibly best perk in general, (yes even with nerfs) and it makes me rather happy people don't use it as much because of how good it is. With cold blooded you are taking a gamble on if the other team has an echolocator which not too many weapons have. If they don't have that then cold blooded is a waste of a slot. Ninja squid on the other hand thrives off of the lack of too many echolocating weapons, not to mention if they have one it lasts for a short period of time and wears off so quickly it frankly isn't a big deal. Ninja squid also gives weapons with both A. Good ink coverage, and B. Weapons that need to get close to kill AKA Carbon roller and others a great way to get kills easily and quickly, no problem at all. Without ninja squid players will notice the ripples and be out of there in time, while without they have no clue and will get destroyed up close, no matter the weapon. If you don't have a weapon that has both A and B then go cold blooded. Otherwise, ninja squid is the way to go.

Chewi

Full Squid
NNID
IronChefCanada
I tried to like Ninja Squid with the Carbon... I don't think it suits my play style. I would rather run a few swim speed ups and be super mobile. I like bomb range up, damage up, and swim speed with the Carbon.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
Those who think ninja squid is bad is greatly mistaken. Best shirt perk in my opinion, possibly best perk in general, (yes even with nerfs) and it makes me rather happy people don't use it as much because of how good it is. With cold blooded you are taking a gamble on if the other team has an echolocator which not too many weapons have. If they don't have that then cold blooded is a waste of a slot. Ninja squid on the other hand thrives off of the lack of too many echolocating weapons, not to mention if they have one it lasts for a short period of time and wears off so quickly it frankly isn't a big deal. Ninja squid also gives weapons with both A. Good ink coverage, and B. Weapons that need to get close to kill AKA Carbon roller and others a great way to get kills easily and quickly, no problem at all. Without ninja squid players will notice the ripples and be out of there in time, while without they have no clue and will get destroyed up close, no matter the weapon. If you don't have a weapon that has both A and B then go cold blooded. Otherwise, ninja squid is the way to go.
Ninja Squid is a Crutch. it can be replicated by swimming slowly. with swim speed ups, the speed at which you can swim without creating ripples increases. Cold blooded on the other hand nullifies a Special, Unique shirt ability, and sub weapon. which can not be replicated by any other means.

Typhlosion09

Pro Squid
NNID
Typhlosion09
Ninja Squid is a Crutch. it can be replicated by swimming slowly. with swim speed ups, the speed at which you can swim without creating ripples increases. Cold blooded on the other hand nullifies a Special, Unique shirt ability, and sub weapon. which can not be replicated by any other means.
Or you could use swim speed up to balance out ninja squid, making it better than swimming slowly with the speed ups. Oh and you don't have to be precise with ninja squid so it is clearly better.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Is there an optimum gear setup for the Carbon-Ninja? I really like this playstyle and I used it on most maps with a lot of flat surfaces (Port Mackeral, Walleye, etc.). But I'm not sure what to run on my hat and what kind of subs I should be looking for. Obviously I start with ninja squid because it is a brainless perk that automatically makes it easy to sneak up on people (yes, echolocator really sucks for us, so cold-blooded is often better, but ninja squid is good for solo-queue). Ink resistance is indispensable for this build because you will often be swimming near enemy ink to get those kills and you have to be able to move quickly.

So, besides those two I'm not sure what to run. Ink saver main on hat? Ink saver sub/bomb range to help with burst bombs? special charge up to get 'zooka faster (so good)? damage up to increase damage at max range (which isn't that far)? Swim speed up to counter ninja squid (I usually try to run 3 subs which almost cancels the speed nerf)?

So, what do other Carbon-Ninja's use for their gear setup?

Chewi

Full Squid
NNID
IronChefCanada
Is there an optimum gear setup for the Carbon-Ninja? I really like this playstyle and I used it on most maps with a lot of flat surfaces (Port Mackeral, Walleye, etc.). But I'm not sure what to run on my hat and what kind of subs I should be looking for. Obviously I start with ninja squid because it is a brainless perk that automatically makes it easy to sneak up on people (yes, echolocator really sucks for us, so cold-blooded is often better, but ninja squid is good for solo-queue). Ink resistance is indispensable for this build because you will often be swimming near enemy ink to get those kills and you have to be able to move quickly.

So, besides those two I'm not sure what to run. Ink saver main on hat? Ink saver sub/bomb range to help with burst bombs? special charge up to get 'zooka faster (so good)? damage up to increase damage at max range (which isn't that far)? Swim speed up to counter ninja squid (I usually try to run 3 subs which almost cancels the speed nerf)?

So, what do other Carbon-Ninja's use for their gear setup?
I would recommend swim speed up (to balance Ninja Squud), damage up (increase kill range - also look up "burst-cancelling"), and bomb range up (will give you a long range option).

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
dont run ink resistance if you are using a roller plz.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
dont run ink resistance if you are using a roller plz.
Why not?

I mean, I wouldn't recommend ink resistance to a dynamo roller, but to the Carbon-Ninja, it is really good. You want to be able to approach quickly and escape quickly. Ink resistance is necessary for that.

Typhlosion09

Pro Squid
NNID
Typhlosion09
Why not?

I mean, I wouldn't recommend ink resistance to a dynamo roller, but to the Carbon-Ninja, it is really good. You want to be able to approach quickly and escape quickly. Ink resistance is necessary for that.
I think he was saying that from the opposite end, as in don't use ink resistance if you're against me or else I'm doomed.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I think he was saying that from the opposite end, as in don't use ink resistance if you're against me or else I'm doomed.
Oh...my bad then...

One problem I'm finding with this otherwise excellent build is that is has some issues on more vertical maps. It is harder to hide and sneak up on people on Moray and Bluefin.

Also, back to the conversation about gear: I've been running damage up with a few special charge ups on my hat and it has worked rather well. I still overestimate my range from time to time, but that's just practice at this point.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Why not?

No, ink resistance is a waste of a slot. Swim speed up is a better alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom