• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Metroid Social Thread

2D Metroid or 3D Metroid?

• 2D

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • 3D

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Why should I care?

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
I'm surprised this hasn't been made yet. Anyways, although I only just finished Prime, I already love the series. In the middle of Prime 2, and I think anyone who thinks it's hard should git gud. I don't understand the complaints around it. I have the Prime Trilogy on my Wii U, and I'm thinking of getting Super Metroid, but I'm not sure. I've heard good things about it, but I'm not sure. So, start conversing!

Edit: There is a thread, but it's been dead for a while, so I made a new one.

Shig

Inkster Jr.
NNID
OkidoShigeru
I'm not certain there needs to be any discussion of which is better, both 2D and 3D Metroid games are great and different enough to warrant trying the best of both.

Definitely try Super Metroid though, it's easily my favourite and possibly one of the best games ever made. It just has a lot of things going for it, the deep movement system, the great visuals and design, the eerie soundtrack and the simple, under-stated plot.

In fact if you enjoyed Prime, you will probably love Super Metroid as Retro's goal when creating Prime was essentially to translate the "feeling" of playing Super into 3D. So even though the movement is quite dissimilar and the focus in Prime tends more towards shooting and action rather than platforming and exploration, both games share a sense of exploring an abandoned/overrun alien world and the same kind of item based progression and map exploration.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Oh yeah, I like these games too. They got me into Metroidvania-style games (for example, the 2D Castlevanias made after Symphony Of The Night, or Simon's Quest, or Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, or that Bloodstained thing on Kickstarter).
Well, I don't like all of them. I got Metroid 2 as a kid (on the old Game Boy, the gray brick), and I just got lost and confused while playing it. It was kind of annoying, I didn't like it.
All the other ones I've played were great, though. I loved Prime, even though I never finished it. It was just so much fun, and it made exploring feel good. Prime 2 was also good, but when I was younger I never finished it because Bloggs scared me. Never played Prime 3, which is a shame, I heard it was great.
I've played Fusion and liked it, it was my first Metroid after 2 and really good for getting into the series (though not particularly indicative of how it generally works, admittedly). Zero Mission was also great, especially the Zero Suit section, was not expecting that after beating Mother Brain, and it was weirdly enjoyable (though not as enjoyable as going back and punching out Space Pirates with the fully-powered Gravity Suit, that was so rewarding).
I've gotten through most of Super Metroid as well, and greatly enjoyed it (though Maridia confused me for a bit), but I got stuck on those gold divekicking pirates in Ridley. How do you deal with those?

Also, you should totally get Super Metroid if you like Metroidvanias, it pretty much set the standard for the Metroid series (I'd argue Prime is better just off my gut, but can't back that up since it's been so long since I played Prime). Just remember that you have a Run button in this game: it's something that's never happened before or since in Metroid, so it's easy to forget, but you need it to progress.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
I'm not certain there needs to be any discussion of which is better, both 2D and 3D Metroid games are great and different enough to warrant trying the best of both.

Definitely try Super Metroid though, it's easily my favourite and possibly one of the best games ever made. It just has a lot of things going for it, the deep movement system, the great visuals and design, the eerie soundtrack and the simple, under-stated plot.

In fact if you enjoyed Prime, you will probably love Super Metroid as Retro's goal when creating Prime was essentially to translate the "feeling" of playing Super into 3D. So even though the movement is quite dissimilar and the focus in Prime tends more towards shooting and action rather than platforming and exploration, both games share a sense of exploring an abandoned/overrun alien world and the same kind of item based progression and map exploration.
Oh, no, the poll is just a bonus. :P

Shig

Inkster Jr.
NNID
OkidoShigeru
Oh, no, the poll is just a bonus. :p
Fair enough, I still would point out how silly it is, but it's all in good fun I guess.

I'm glad you're enjoying Prime 2 also, although I would like to point out that the Trilogy re-release on Wii made the game considerably easier, both by making the boss battles easier and by lowering the loading times of doors (which makes the Dark Aether sections less stressful). It's still surprising that you are enjoying it so much, a lot of people I talked to playing it for the first time actual hated it compared to the original, and only later came to like it. What are your thoughts on the game so far, compared to the original?

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Fair enough, I still would point out how silly it is, but it's all in good fun I guess.

I'm glad you're enjoying Prime 2 also, although I would like to point out that the Trilogy re-release on Wii made the game considerably easier, both by making the boss battles easier and by lowering the loading times of doors (which makes the Dark Aether sections less stressful). It's still surprising that you are enjoying it so much, a lot of people I talked to playing it for the first time actual hated it compared to the original, and only later came to like it. What are your thoughts on the game so far, compared to the original?
I like it, I used a walkthrough for Prime 1, sure, call me a scrub, but after that, I got used to the Metroid-Vania formula. I don't really have any problems with Dark Aether, and the story is done just well. It's compels you to move forward, without losing that feeling of isolation. I think that is why Other- Te baby, the baby, the baby!!!, okay, one reason as to why Other M failed. I don't mind the extra challenge. Or maybe, I just feel accomplished because I'm not using a guide. Yeah, probably that. ;)

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Just wanted to pop in.

Best social thread.

Both 2D and 3D Metroid are amazing so I can't vote.

Other M is trash.

Prime 1, Fusion, and Super are the best of the series.

Ridley for Smash Bros.

Good day

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Am I the only person who is somewhat interested in seeing how Federation Force plays? I know most people hate it, and are calling it a bad game already, but I just want to get a taste of the gameplay in some kind of demo, because it looks fun to play with friends.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Am I the only person who is somewhat interested in seeing how Federation Force plays? I know most people hate it, and are calling it a bad game already, but I just want to get a taste of the gameplay in some kind of demo, because it looks fun to play with friends.
No, it's just that people don't hate the game, they hate the whole thing. The game looks fun, but the fact that it has been like 7 years since a good metroid and we get a spin-off is what people are really angry at. If this game was announced along with a mainstream Metroid title, then it would be received better, but it wasn't so people are just hating on it.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
I've been a long time fan of the Metroid series. I've gathered enough knowledge about the series that I've held my own against other people who've played Metroid. I'm open to people asking about it on here if they like. If you're curious about the series and wanna learn more or are are not sure about some of the story of some parts of the series. I can be a major help in those regards. Also if you have questions about certain games in the series, I'll most likely, than not, have answers for you. It depends though. I've played all but Metroid 2 Return of Samus, and Metroid Prime Pinball(I don't count this as a proper Metroid game). Don't bother asking about Galactic Force though. I'm not bothering with that travesty.

Just wanted to pop in.

Best social thread.

Both 2D and 3D Metroid are amazing so I can't vote.

Other M is trash.

Prime 1, Fusion, and Super are the best of the series.

Ridley for Smash Bros.

Good day
I'll agree about most of the things you said but Other M isn't the worst possible game, *cough* Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom *cough*. It has it flaws, but Team Ninja openly admitted to the fact that the game was an experiment with a new style. I'll admit the concept was amazing and interesting, just poorly executed and to some level, sloppily done. The story of the game is interesting and it hearkens to Metroid Fusion in many ways. In fact the only game to mention Other M's Adam Malcovich is Metroid Fusion.

What I'll agree with though, is that Samus having a voice in the game was cool at first but when I found out how whiny she was, it was a turn off. I prefer her silence, unless they could pull off a better acting voice for her. I heard that she is a total 'Ice Box' in Japan, voice wise. THAT Samus would of been more interesting, but America had to mess that up.

My final complaint has to do with the Final Final Boss. You know who I'm referring to. Phantoon. The idea was cool on paper, but what people need to realize, is that Phantoon is actually a hologram of Mother Brain in Super Metroid. It technically was never it's own entity. Of course Nintendo had to retcon that with it's appearance as the Final Final Boss of Other M.

As a final note: Why do people hate Federation Force? It's because it first of all, uses the Metroid Prime title to push sales. It also looks rather atrocious graphically and the only thing 'Metroid' about it is the Galactic Federation Soldiers. I get the multiplayer maybe fun to play, but at the end of the day it's not a proper Metroid game. It's no where close to a proper Metroid game.

Last edited:

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
Prime 1 and Zero Mission are my favorite entries in the series. They have charm to them.

Though I need to do a bit more reading on the lore of Metroid. ._. I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
Prime 1 and Zero Mission are my favorite entries in the series. They have charm to them.

Though I need to do a bit more reading on the lore of Metroid. ._. I know what I'm doing tomorrow.
If you like Zero Mission, you'll certainly like Metroid Fusion. Though Fusion is a bit more challenging compared to Zero Mission. All the same, it's a great entree in it's self too. Just a recommendation.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
If you like Zero Mission, you'll certainly like Metroid Fusion. Though Fusion is a bit more challenging compared to Zero Mission. All the same, it's a great entree in it's self too. Just a recommendation.
Oh I've played Fusion and liked it. I've witnessed the challenge (f****** Spider boss and the run to it... e-e). The only games I haven't played are Return of Samus, Prime 2, Prime Pinball, and Other M. o3o

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
Oh I've played Fusion and liked it. I've witnessed the challenge (f****** Spider boss and the run to it... e-e). The only games I haven't played are Return of Samus, Prime 2, Prime Pinball, and Other M. o3o
I know your pain but once you have the patterns down, the spider boss is relatively easy. Now if I could remember it's name... but my brain NEVER makes that easy. I'd recommend getting Prime 2. If you loved Prime 1, the second one will be fun for you too. Fair warning, Prime 2 is a lot more unforgiving than Prime 1 is.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
I loved the game up until now. I have to get the sky keys and everything and I don't feel motivated to find them. I've hit a little block, and I don't want to explore. I would like to start Prime 3, but I don't know if there is a lot of referencing events in Prime 2, even if Metroid isn't mainly about story.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
I loved the game up until now. I have to get the sky keys and everything and I don't feel motivated to find them. I've hit a little block, and I don't want to explore. I would like to start Prime 3, but I don't know if there is a lot of referencing events in Prime 2, even if Metroid isn't mainly about story.
There really is not any major plot points referenced in Prime 3 about Prime 2. About the only enemy that returns from Prime 2, Dark World wise, is the Inglet. They are Phazings in Prime 3, essentially beings of raw phazon without their dark skin they developed for the Dark World. Everything else is relatively new otherwise. A not so surprising spoiler, but Dark Samus is back in Prime 3.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I know your pain but once you have the patterns down, the spider boss is relatively easy. Now if I could remember it's name... but my brain NEVER makes that easy. I'd recommend getting Prime 2. If you loved Prime 1, the second one will be fun for you too. Fair warning, Prime 2 is a lot more unforgiving than Prime 1 is.
I'm up for the challenge. My biggest challenge will be tracking the game down. XD

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I'll agree about most of the things you said but Other M isn't the worst possible game, *cough* Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom *cough*. It has it flaws, but Team Ninja openly admitted to the fact that the game was an experiment with a new style. I'll admit the concept was amazing and interesting, just poorly executed and to some level, sloppily done. The story of the game is interesting and it hearkens to Metroid Fusion in many ways. In fact the only game to mention Other M's Adam Malcovich is Metroid Fusion.

What I'll agree with though, is that Samus having a voice in the game was cool at first but when I found out how whiny she was, it was a turn off. I prefer her silence, unless they could pull off a better acting voice for her. I heard that she is a total 'Ice Box' in Japan, voice wise. THAT Samus would of been more interesting, but America had to mess that up.

My final complaint has to do with the Final Final Boss. You know who I'm referring to. Phantoon. The idea was cool on paper, but what people need to realize, is that Phantoon is actually a hologram of Mother Brain in Super Metroid. It technically was never it's own entity. Of course Nintendo had to retcon that with it's appearance as the Final Final Boss of Other M.

As a final note: Why do people hate Federation Force? It's because it first of all, uses the Metroid Prime title to push sales. It also looks rather atrocious graphically and the only thing 'Metroid' about it is the Galactic Federation Soldiers. I get the multiplayer maybe fun to play, but at the end of the day it's not a proper Metroid game. It's no where close to a proper Metroid game.
Yeah but poor execution and being an experiment isn't an excuse for being a crappy game. Plus, what was it really experimenting with that it had to detract from being a good game, a good story, etc.?

I don't really care about voice acting. I care about the dialogue. Which was horrendous.

Yeah, Other M just butchered and took from Super and Fusion and when it tried to be original on its own, it failed. No wonder it used so many assets from Fusion and Super (Super's intro, Fusion bosses, environment exactly like Fusion's, plot threads only work when tied to Super and Fusion, etc.). No wonder it's a bad game.

Honestly I'd take Federation Force over Other M any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom