• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Metroid Social Thread

2D Metroid or 3D Metroid?

• 2D

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • 3D

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Why should I care?

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
Yeah but poor execution and being an experiment isn't an excuse for being a crappy game. Plus, what was it really experimenting with that it had to detract from being a good game, a good story, etc.?

I don't really care about voice acting. I care about the dialogue. Which was horrendous.

Yeah, Other M just butchered and took from Super and Fusion and when it tried to be original on its own, it failed. No wonder it used so many assets from Fusion and Super (Super's intro, Fusion bosses, environment exactly like Fusion's, plot threads only work when tied to Super and Fusion, etc.). No wonder it's a bad game.

Honestly I'd take Federation Force over Other M any day.
Woah dude. The hostility is very unappreciated. I understand if you despise the game in general, that is your opinion. I can respect that, but Team Ninja was NOT making excuses about it being experimental. It was their first attempt in general at making a Metroid game and one in a concept that was interesting in many ways. The concepts are amazing, it's just the execution was flawed. I'd personally like to see them make a second attempt at it. Totally bashing on the game just because it was flawed in many ways instead of seeing the applications the good parts could have, is very closed minded and severely biased.

You want my honest opinion on Federation Force? It's not a Metroid game. It's shameless advertising of the Metroid Prime brand. A horrible attempt at it too. It maybe a fun multiplayer game, but it will NEVER hold a candle to Metroid Prime Hunters. Hell, I'll consider Metroid Prime Pinball more of a Metroid game that Federation Force. But I suppose there could be a good reception in sales if there are enough interested in buying it. Even if it ends up being good, I cannot and will not accept it as a proper Metroid game.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
If they deleted the 'Metroid Prime' part of it, then it probably wouldn't be hated as much. It's dragging one franchise into something else. This happened somewhere else recently, I don't remember where though.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Woah dude. The hostility is very unappreciated. I understand if you despise the game in general, that is your opinion. I can respect that, but Team Ninja was NOT making excuses about it being experimental. It was their first attempt in general at making a Metroid game and one in a concept that was interesting in many ways. The concepts are amazing, it's just the execution was flawed. I'd personally like to see them make a second attempt at it. Totally bashing on the game just because it was flawed in many ways instead of seeing the applications the good parts could have, is very closed minded and severely biased.

You want my honest opinion on Federation Force? It's not a Metroid game. It's shameless advertising of the Metroid Prime brand. A horrible attempt at it too. It maybe a fun multiplayer game, but it will NEVER hold a candle to Metroid Prime Hunters. Hell, I'll consider Metroid Prime Pinball more of a Metroid game that Federation Force. But I suppose there could be a good reception in sales if there are enough interested in buying it. Even if it ends up being good, I cannot and will not accept it as a proper Metroid game.
Wasn't trying to be hostile, sorry if you took it that way lol.

If the game isn't good, it isn't good. It's the sum of its whole, not individual parts. There are very few good parts of the game OM actually comes up with on its own, to be honest. From a conceptual level to actually executing it, Other M is top-to-bottom bad. It's most redeeming part, if I really had to pick one, were Samus' cool finishing moves. That's about it.

Federation Force isn't really much of a Metroid game, and I'd rather a true entry in the series instead of a spin-off, but I can see it at least being fun unlike OM. Federation Force, ofc, only has Metroid Prime on it for sales. But it'll probably be a fun shooter.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
If they deleted the 'Metroid Prime' part of it, then it probably wouldn't be hated as much. It's dragging one franchise into something else. This happened somewhere else recently, I don't remember where though.
The trilogy is over. The reason Nintendo wanted to slap the Metroid Prime title on Federation Force is most likely because people keep begging for Metroid Prime 4, which will NEVER happen. I think this is Nintendo's way to tell everyone to shut up.

Wasn't trying to be hostile, sorry if you took it that way lol.

If the game isn't good, it isn't good. It's the sum of its whole, not individual parts. There are very few good parts of the game OM actually comes up with on its own, to be honest. From a conceptual level to actually executing it, Other M is top-to-bottom bad. It's most redeeming part, if I really had to pick one, were Samus' cool finishing moves. That's about it.

Federation Force isn't really much of a Metroid game, and I'd rather a true entry in the series instead of a spin-off, but I can see it at least being fun unlike OM. Federation Force, ofc, only has Metroid Prime on it for sales. But it'll probably be a fun shooter.
Okay, fair enough. I just have dealt with some hostile people in the past who are so aggressive in hating something that I've had to jump in to fight. As I said, I can respect if you just in general hate Other M, I just personally think there was potential that got squandered, though I think it was just that Team Ninja was testing out how this game will go. Other M isn't for everyone, but there is some playable value to it. It just depends on who it is and if they will enjoy what is there. Samus does have some good finishers and it plays on the concept that she can do more than just fire an armcannon all the time.

As I said, I have no dought people may enjoy the multiplayer for it. I'm personally not interested. I personally don't like the shameless use of the Metroid Prime brand, but I think Nintendo may have their reasons. Though, Federation Force just doesn't hold anything in it that I haven't seen before. If I wanted to play a Metroid game with multiplayer, I may as well play Prime 2 or Hunters.

Last edited:

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
The problem of Other M (well its main problem at least, it has a multitude of issues) is that it basically runs contrary to everything that defines Metroid. Who actually expects Metroid to be a narrative focused game with long winded unskippable cutscenes full of soap opera level melodrama?

This might have been excusable if the gameplay was respectful of the franchise's traditions but it's not, instead it's an overbearingly linear watered down 3d beat them all that essentially plays itself, with awkward wiimote only controls and baffling pseudo point and click sequences.

l think the reason why Other M and now Federation Force have been so poorly received is because both of these games give the impression Nintendo don't understand why people like Metroid. They've got that legendary franchise that's one of the most beloved, respected and influential series in their catalog and they treat it flippantly. It's sad and worrying for the future.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
I think it should be a 3d high def side scroller with little or no story, as was intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom