Motion Controls

Metronome

Inkling
NNID
Kyirou
So I see a lot of people swearing by motion controls, but I've tried them and they feel very clumsy and wonky to me. I want to improve my game to be the best I can, so my question here is do you absoulty need motion controls to make it to S? Of course I know that alone wouldn't get me there, but would it help? I apologize if this is the wrong section to post this in. I wasn't sure where to put it.

mozeurphok

Inkling
NNID
Mozeurphok
Hello, I made my way to S+ without using motion control, so don't worry about that. I've talked with many people using motion control especially while using chargers.
As far as I'm concerned, I'm still more comfortable with sticks with chargers, but I admit, playing chargers with motion control is enjoyable and certainly hard to get off to after getting used to it, I'm just bad at it since I haven't practiced it a lot.

Metronome

Inkling
NNID
Kyirou
I see, thanks for the post. While I would probably never use chargers, I'd never considered how it'd work for them...Guess maybe I will play around with that then.

Munchy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
lordmunchy
Motion controls are not necessary in order to get to S, I've done it without them, but I recently picked them up and boy oh boy, do they help. At first, you feel like giving up and going straight back to sticks, but trust me, if you practice for a good week or two only using motion controls, you will never go back to using the analogue stick, of course the stick will still retain its uses in tandem with motion controls, but it will not be the main source of camera movement, if you do get accustomed to motion controls, going back to the analogue stick will feel extremely limiting and rigid. Whatever the case may be, you should definitely give them a shot if you want to improve your gameplay overall, you'll find that a lot of S+ players use motion controls, as well as almost all of the prominent and competent members of the splatoon community like fiveleafclover, thatsrb2dude, hitzelburger, keykey, just to name a few.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Depends on how long you've played shooters. If you're like me and played them for pretty much your whole life with two sticks, you may find the motion controls unusable. But most people recommend using them for the accuracy of your shots.

Metronome

Inkling
NNID
Kyirou
Thank you all for your input. I'm going to try adjusting to motion controls, but now I have a silly question. Is there a weapon that would help me get used to these controls faster, or should I just use my best weapon? I only ask because I know sometimes in games switching controls around work better for say other characters/weapons, so not sure if it applied here.

Rob

Inkster Jr.
Thank you all for your input. I'm going to try adjusting to motion controls, but now I have a silly question. Is there a weapon that would help me get used to these controls faster, or should I just use my best weapon? I only ask because I know sometimes in games switching controls around work better for say other characters/weapons, so not sure if it applied here.
Use the weapon you prefer and see where you go from there. If not and automatic weapon is the way to go. Then again isn't that always the case.

Metronome

Inkling
NNID
Kyirou
So, I think I'm starting to get used to the motion controls. At this point now, my question is should I still be using the right stick to look left and right, or should I use motion to do that too?

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
Seems a preference thing to me, or something like that. I cant use them myself; the motions of it wrecks my arm, and frankly, I hate all motion controls with an undying passion to begin with anyway.

The sticks seem to do well enough as it is though... I dont seem to have too much trouble hitting things, which is what I've generally heard from others that use the sticks as well. They did the controls in this game pretty well, I think.

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
I'm slowly getting use to it. Just have to worry about aiming and turning, which is the trickiest part for me.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I'm an S player and I've been using stick controls since day one. Motion controls are nice for accuracy, but if you've played a lot of shooters with twin sticks, you will likely be just fine.

The only weapon I would consider switching control styles for would be chargers, as those require more precision. However, since I don't plan on doing that anytime soon, I'll stick to traditional controls.

DJVee

Inkling
NNID
DJVeeWolf
For me, it's dependent on which weapons I'm going to use. I began with sticks and have slowly implemented motion for more accuracy-based weaponry, like most of the gun classes. For weapons like Sloshers, Rollers, and Splatlings, I find I get better results with sticks. However, I've noticed I'm leagues better with motion controls in relation to more normal guns, like the N-ZAPs and rifles. That's simply speaking from personal experience, though; your mileage may vary!

Metronome

Inkling
NNID
Kyirou
Thanks once more for the input. I'll keep messing around with both and see how I feel either way, but yea, thanks for all the answers.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I used to use the stick and did fairly well. Then I tried motion controls and boy did it help me. It was awkward at first, but I got used to them as time went on. A good way to get used to them is to play the campaign with them. Play every level and boss with them. It helped me get used to them.

Now you don't NEED to use them to do well. I mean do you need to have your buttons assigned a certain way to play a game well? No. Play what you feel comfortable with and improve from there.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Back in the days before the august patch, it was motion controls that brought me into the A ranks. But if you plan on only playing splatoon casually, then I would suggest staying to sticks. Because once you get used to motion controls, getting into other shooters is a pain in the a$$.

novel

Inkster Jr.
i dont use motion controls and i am S+ (not s+99 tough :P) (in case you are wondering, my sens is -3)
if you dont like motion, dont use them. and dont let anyone tell you what control scheme or weapon you should use ;)

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
For me using motion controls is like using a mouse on a PC shooter, you just have that 1 to 1 direct control feel. I've never really been too into console shooters.

If you're too used to standard shooter controls then don't use it. If you aren't or are experienced with mouse controls, motion controls may be more up your alley.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Have you ever played any of the 3ds games that use gyro for fine adjusting (like Zelda or steel diver)? If you are use to that than that would be a great starting point for you to get use to the gyro aiming. Just start it very low where its not very loose but is there to give you that ever so slight adjust in aiming, and adjust it when you feel you need more. Another thing is that the Y button is your friend when it comes to gyro aiming. I find it almost impossible to use the gyro without the Y button involved, especially when playing longer sessions. Use it to snap back into a comfortable position or look quickly behind you without even using the gyro to turn all the way around.

In fact, I find that I only really use the gyro for up and down movement (tilting), and maybe some panning when shooting an enemy.

Edit: Don't know why I didn't read the thread first, but I'm glad you are getting use to them, OP. They really do make your movements feel faster and more precise. Of course a little analog stick movement for readjusting doesn't hurt when you need it.

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
Motion controls and analog stick are not mutually exclusive. There are two operations you're performing: moving the camera and aiming. With motion turned off, you're doing both of these at once with a single input. With motion on, you're moving the camera with the stick but aiming with motion. Yes aiming also moves the camera but I'm referring to making the small adjustments required to shoot your opponent rather than shoot near them. For purposes of rotating your view you'll still be using the stick for the most part.

i dont use motion controls and i am S+ (not s+99 tough :P) (in case you are wondering, my sens is -3)
Wow. I take it you're good with the Y button? Otherwise with -3 and no motion I'd imagine you'd be dead before you could turn to respond to an attacker from the side or behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom