My first Splatfest and what I think about the future ones

techton

Senior Squid
I hate to be the sore loser here and I apologize for being that person, but I think I'm going to avoid Splatfests from now on. First Splatfest I've ever attended and I already want to stay away from them.
I'm just not even salty or angry, I just expect bullshit to be dealt to me.

My longest win streak in this Splatfest is 3. My longest loss streak is 11 games in a row, and most of them were completely crushing, as in, we couldn't leave our base. Not fun. So I came to the conclusion that the best strategy to ranking up to King/Queen was getting 400p and camping out the rest of the game since I'm going to lose 90% of all games I play, with a maximum of 2 points earned each battle. It's like, "What's the point?"

Not so hyped for the future Splatfests, now. Cause' I feel like it's going to be the same thing all over again. Just losing over and over, not because my team and I were bad, but like I've said in the past, because the opponents are immensely more skilled than us thanks to the matchmaking. That, or someone on our team left us early, which still happens every 1 out of 3 games.

Thanks anyways, Nintendo, for doing this for the people that still love Splatfests. :)

Woomyapple

Full Squid
NNID
Apple
Switch Friend Code
SW-2793-7212-9515
Splatfests are a serious mixed bag for me. It's either one will be amazing and fun no matter if the team I chose wins or loses, or it will be one of the worst experiences that I've ever been through in Splatoon; no middle ground. International splatfests are the ones that are guaranteed to be painful and anger-inducing because the amount of disconnects increases by 30% and the matchmaking will be trash.
Didn't even feel like playing this one. Just decided to play Mario Odyssey and Salmon Run instead.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
i like the anticipation of the splatfest basically the build till it comes............ the first 3 games............... then i realize i can't stand turf wars lmao

in general it's either win big or lose big for me and that is kind of crappy, rather more even games or omg some ranked games on splatfest.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I miss the thing in Splatoon 1's Splatfests where you could stick with the same team from match to match. If you found a team you liked, you could ride them for as long you all wanted to stay together (or until a DC). I think they decide Splatfest results (and definitely matchmaking) on power levels instead of pure wins now, so maybe it's just not possible to do it that way anymore. My guess is the power level aspect requires the game to reshuffle teams a good deal. But it's something I miss.

Also, adding 2P into the team results and rotating in ranked modes would go a long way.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
This was also my first Spatfest, and I had a pretty great time! Initially it was a trainwreck, the matches were a nightmare. I hate the fact that every player is pooled into one match system, resulting in Turf war matches with either newcomers or super-skilled players. It's a totally mixed bag. Once I found a team on Discord, we began pub-stomping and had a great time taking on all sorts of enemy teams varying in difficulty. I also really enjoyed Shifty Station. It was far from a perfect map, but it was...interesting, to say the last. Splatfests, from what I get, are completely unfair. They're a far-cry from the competitive perfection that is Splatoon. Players are confused, levels range from high to low and all over the place, and nobody knows the map layout, since Shifty Station is new everytime. But if you can get a good team or some friends and just sit back, relax, and enjoy the messy ride, it's a whole lot of fun.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I really hope that this is just a one time thing, because this was the worst splatfest for me so far; from this or the first. I was on team comedy and aside from my first match I either won every battle after or I disconnected, so it was never fun and I didn't even attempt to reach max splatfest rank. I'm really hoping that the disconnects were just from this being a global splatfest and most of these issues get cleared up in the future. Don't let one bad experience ruin the event for you; let 5 bad experiences ruin it for you!

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
In terms of actual battles. I had some of mixed feelings. But that was mainly just cause I tended to be the only person who understood the idea of flanking the enemy and often ended up being the guy who contributed the most turf and kills, or being the one who had to splat the enemies so we could advance when they started cornering us, whenever my team lost.

But that aside. I actually didn't have too many disconnection issues, at least not many during the match, most of the times I had connection issues happened after the results were tallied (and I think after I got the points and cash). Only one or twice on my road to King did I disconnect during a match (and one of those times was during the last 15 seconds when we were dominating against the enemy team which I was quite salty about).

Then now that the results are in. I'm actually quite surprised how close the wins were for both Solo and Team. Despite me being on the losing team, both scores were 49/51 which is the closest score possible. Meaning both teams were theoretically even with Comedy only slightly nudging out. So I'm actually not at all salty about the end result cause the score indicates out teams were actually fairly even overall.

StarRage

Inkling
NNID
Ronin
Switch Friend Code
SW-8220-3455-4627
Yeah, the Splatfest was a bit of a train wreck but I am mostly blaming that on the influx of new players from the Holidays. At least half of my teammates were lvl <20. By next Splatfest we should be back to the majority of players knowing what they're doing.

But matchmaking did seem a bit off. I kept being put against teams with power 100-200 greater than my team.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
My experience was... weird. I lost my first 6 games in a row, won the 7th, and got a Splatfest Power of about 1830. But then I proceeded to win about 2/3 of the rest of my games until Action Queen rank. Yet my Splatfest Power kept dropping for some reason? I ended in the 1600's, by far my worst rating (I'm usually in the 1800's-2100's range). I guess I got paired with low-power teams for the rest of the Splatfest, but I don't know why that would be true so consistently.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
For me when I would win it would go up like 5 points and then if I lost it would be like 30 or 50 so that was neat. Got to 2300 and then lost three times down to 2150. There was no hope so that's when I quit

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
For anyone who may not enjoy Splatfest much, try doing it with a team of three friends of yours next time. That's made Splatfest so much better of an experience for me since I've done it in this game. You may get harder battles in general, being put against other teams, but at least you can trust your friends to play well if you know them to be good players.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Each splatfest is its own rollercoaster, especially when you try to play it all in a single session. Not gonna ask you to try again. Not gonna knock you for never trying again. But I am sorry it was a harsh drain for you.

Some fests you're gonna have a rough time due for whatever reasons, a few will somehow feel incredible, while most are gonna turn out okay.

I miss the thing in Splatoon 1's Splatfests where you could stick with the same team from match to match. If you found a team you liked, you could ride them for as long you all wanted to stay together (or until a DC).
You can still do that, unfortunately there's no longer an indicator telling you how many matches each team has been together.

For anyone who may not enjoy Splatfest much, try doing it with a team of three friends of yours next time. That's made Splatfest so much better of an experience for me since I've done it in this game. You may get harder battles in general, being put against other teams, but at least you can trust your friends to play well if you know them to be good players.
Hmmm... half considering to make it a regular thing to make two splatfest threads so players can find festmates to play with. Hmm...

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I miss the thing in Splatoon 1's Splatfests where you could stick with the same team from match to match. If you found a team you liked, you could ride them for as long you all wanted to stay together (or until a DC).
I've been saying this for a long time now! I would far prefer that method instead of getting randoms every game!

@Ansible How do you stay with the same team? Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I don't know how to get that to happen.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
@Ansible How do you stay with the same team? Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I don't know how to get that to happen.
Meh don't worry about it. I doubt the vast majority of players realize it as well. :)

Just like a normal Turf War, once you get to the continue screen after a match just hit "yes" or change your loadout. If anyone on your team did either of the same you get partnered with them once more.

Yeah, they really need to bring back that team counter from the first game. :(

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Whenever I hit 'yes' I get an all new team, complete with the stress that comes with a new group of randoms. Maybe the key is to say 'change my gear' first. I'll experiment with that on the next Splatfest. My will is strong with this game again and I want all I can get out of it!

Ansible

Community Ambassador
You're not doing anything incorrectly. If you're still getting new teammates then that just means everyone but you decided to back out after that match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom